Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How can I tell if my LAN card is working?

Options
  • 15-04-2005 11:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭

I've just installed a crappy old 3Com network card in a crappy old PIII Dell with Windows 98SE

The system says everything is OK.

When I plug it into my Netopia Cayman DSL router, nothing happens! The router install CD says I'm not connected to the router, but there are green lights on the card and on the router.

The router works fine as I installed my new PC with no problems.

I don't really know what I'm doing (no ****, you say!), so if anyone can help out I'd appreciate it.

I'm hoping to get both computers access to the internet, and do a bit of file sharing between machines.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

network card to router via ethernet means you dont need an install cd.

type 192.168.1.254 into your browser ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

Tried that - no joy :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

Go into dos, ( windows>programs>accessories Command Prompt)
    type in this ping 127.0.0.1

if its working you shud get this

c:\>ping 127.0.0.1

Pinging 127.0.0.1 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 127.0.0.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128

Ping statistics for 127.0.0.1:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

Hopefully you wont get this :(

Pinging 127.0.0.1 with 32 bytes of data:

Destination specified is invalid.

Ping statistics for 127.0.0.1:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

Good luck, hope that helps :)

At least their not expensive.... €10/20 max :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

Which particular crappy old 3COM network card? Some of the (very old) 3COM combo adapters (AUI, 10-base T & TP connectors) needed to be told which interface to use.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If you are getting lights on the card then it' unlikely to be a hardware problem - just make sure the light goes out when you unplug the card ( though I've seen cards that could recieve packets but not send )

check in your OS that you have DHCP enabled , I'd tell how you how but you didn't bother to mention which one you use :rolleyes:

The old 3com cards - may have a 1/2" pipe sticking out or a joystick port on them - and dell sold a lot of them with PIII's - if DHCP not work what model is the card 3c509b or 3c905 - please include full name ..

• Advertisement

It's a 3c509b EtherLink III with a pipe sticking out of it! DHCP, whassat? OS is W98SE (I'm sure I mentioned that ;) )

Lights go on and off as I'd expect! And I can ping 127.0.0.1 fine.

to you have an ip?

windows 98se go to control panel > network
    select tcp/ip for 3com
    go to properties > advanced iirc,
    should say 192.168.1.x in there
    if not look for automatically assign ip or get ip from network [something like that]

OK, I've just found my way into my router troubleshooting page and the router can see both machines - host names, IP addresses etc are there!

I'm thouroughly confussed!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

My Bad - didn't see that it was SE

start - run - winipcfgwill show you your IP address , you should be able to release/renew it (more info)

if not then check control panel - network - tcp/ip for 3com what's it and make sure it's set to automatically get an ip address ie. there should be no numbers there.

does the green network card in network say pnp by any chance ?

Oh yeah both PC's should be on the same workgroup if they want to see each other (and then there is fun with firewalls)

I was able to relase the IP, but can't renew it. I get the message "DHCP server unavailable: renewing adapter"

But the router is still showing the machine and the IP it originally had.
    does the green network card in network say pnp by any chance ?

No, it says (if I'm looking in the right place) "3Com EtherLink III ISA (3c509/3c509b) in ISA mode

• Advertisement

Problem solved. Bought a new NIC in Maplins for €8.50!

Both machines can now access the Internet.

Now if only I can work out how to share folders! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Easy, Enable Filesearching in the network properties in Control panel. When you right click on a folder then you shuld be able click "Share.. " or something, can't remember 98 and then you can specify a name. Make sure all computers are on the same workgroup and you when you go into network neighbourhood you should see the ohter computers and acess the shared folders.

Webmonkey

Webmonkey wrote:
    Easy, Enable Filesearching in the network properties in Control panel. When you right click on a folder then you shuld be able click "Share.. " or something, can't remember 98 and then you can specify a name. Make sure all computers are on the same workgroup and you when you go into network neighbourhood you should see the ohter computers and acess the shared folders.

Webmonkey

You'd think it would be that easy, wouldn't you.

I've done all of the above but I can't even ping one machine from the other. I've set Windows Firewall on the new (XP) machine to allow file and printer sharing but no joy. From the XP machine I can see the 98 machine in my network places but can't access any folders. I have shared the whole C drive on the 98 machine.

I can't even see the XP machine from my 98 machine.

Sarsfield wrote:
    I have shared the whole C drive on the 98 machine.
    for security reasons you really should never do this.

for file sharing to work you have to make sure their on the same wokgroup
    go to network > identification
    give the pc a name and a workgroup

on the xp machine go to control panel > system > computer name
    and do the same

alternatively run the network setup wizard on the xp machine and then use the xp cd on the 98 machine,
    go to additonal tasks > setup network

OK, all sorted. Used the setup wizard and then changed the settings on ZoneAlarm (I had the trusted zone set to high which blocks file sharing).

What are the security issues wrt sharing the whole C drive? Like I said, I really know nothing about networking.

Thanks to everyone for their advice.

the main issue is that it gives access to everything on your pc, all your programs, personal files and more importanlty windows,

if a virus infects the other pc it has full access to get the other one too.
    or more dramatically if a hacker gained access to your pc then it would be very easy for it to him to destroy everything.

best to have sharing set up on specific folders, such as a pictures folder or a music folder,
    so that you know which files are availble nd have more control over what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

You can map network drives too, once file & printer sharing has been setup 'do the following':

Click on 'my computer', then click on 'tools' in the toolbar and select 'map network drive' , a dialog box will appear which will allow to assign a 'drive letter' to each of the shares you setup on the remote computer. This will give you quicker access to your shared files and folders . Just a tip that might be usefull. :)

Advertisement