Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

All roadsigns in irish? What?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Yeah, but only in gaeltacht areas.

****ing stupid if you ask me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I belive this is the cunning plan for Gaeltacht areas to boost income by sending confused hungry, thirsty tourists up hill and down dale into every last village by putting signs in Irish while the maps are in English. Perfect!

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Aah yes, the perfect thing in an era when we have thousands of immigrants from various different coutries, let's make it as hard as possible for them. Not only do they have to learn the main language, now they have to make sure they learn a bit of the secondary language aswell, even though everyone in the country speaks English(as in has the ability to).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Captain Trips

Stekelly wrote:
    Aah yes, the perfect thing in an era when we have thousands of immigrants from various different coutries, let's make it as hard as possible for them. Not only do they have to learn the main language, now they have to make sure they learn a bit of the secondary language aswell, even though everyone in the country speaks English(as in has the ability to).

Yes.....just like every other country in the EU that isn't England.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Hash Boy

Damn boggers. Most Irish people won't even be able to understand them.

• Advertisement

Yes.....just like every other country in the EU that isn't England.

If you go to live in germany , you learn German to get by. You don't then have to learn another language that isnt the main language so that you can find your way around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

You don't even get that happening in Wales (thank god) :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Surely there are issues of road safety involved here. In meath I have found road markings in Irish only. Not many yanks will know what "Aire Leanai Go Mall" means.

Won't someone please think of the children.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭sci0x

Bond-007 wrote:
    Surely there are issues of road safety involved here. In meath I have found road markings in Irish only. Not many yanks will know what "Aire Leanai Go Mall" means.

Won't someone please think of the children.
    Never mind the bloody yanks, most Irish people wont know what they means!

It's about low flying airplanes....................right :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

I think it's a great idea and not before it's time. Doubt if it will cause our international visitors too much difficulty. I understand that in New Zealnad they are going through a process of using Maori placenames over the anglicised one.

I suppose it's not surprising to find complaining about the changeover that we are happy to shop in UK multiples on our "high streets", choose some daft name like "Chesterton Downs" for a suburban style housing estate built in the middle of nowhere, subscribe to the UK channels on Sky and support the soccer teams of various UK towns and cities. Just like we welcomed in the Normans centuries ago nobody seems to object to the cultural occupation of Ireland by Britain ...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

It won't make that much difference. Most of the road signs down that neck of the woods point in the wrong direction anyway. :D

As for getting directions from the locals? Well when did, "Go to the end of the road that your on and then go back to the last turn before it" ever help anyone? :)

Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

information road signs in ireland are completely useless, regardless of language.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Agreed. When will they ever introduce overhead signage and road markings that don't wash off with a rain shower. Even the correct positioning of existing signs! Take Pearse St. for example, regular users know you can't go straight ahead to College Green but for people nor familiar with the street they find the no entry signs where it's too late to take action. i would love to know who the muppet in DL-Rathdown Council who decided on the locations for the new speed limit signs - obviously has no qualifications in road traffic management.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Well it might in encourage visual signs. :D

Advertisement