Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SU Hacks

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 653 ✭✭✭little miss

DrIndy wrote:
    Odd indeed. I find that being in the SU simply expands your circle of friends rather than restricts them. But I do agree with Stargal, maintaining the common touch is important.......

Oh, it can expand your circle of friends but I find it sad and pathetic when these people become your ONLY friends, and it turns into a self congratulory love-in. I've made many a great friend from my involvement in societies and the SU but without my non-hackish friends, I think I'd go insane!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

stargal wrote:
    Extensive quantitative research, combined with a bit of participant observation
    or a guess?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

stargal wrote:
    Yes it's an odd superpower to have but damnit it's a superpower

look, for the last time....

rolling your tounge is NOT a superpower

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

look, for the last time....

rolling your tounge is NOT a superpower

It is when I do it ;)

(2000 posts, I officially have no life)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

John2 wrote:
    (2000 posts, I officially have no life)
    Yeah sheesh ;)

Post count is such a horrible reminder to how addicted we really are..

ApeXaviour wrote:
    Yeah sheesh ;)

Post count is such a horrible reminder to how addicted we really are..

I'm not doing too badly, considering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

I'd probably be in the 2000s also if it wasn't for the banning. Only messing. Speaking of SU people, saw desertcircus doing tai chi outside museum building (What's the croquet lawn called? ). At first I thought he was crap but he seemed to gain some composure as i watched. Maybe he was trying to impress me.

I thought there was going to be some cool obstacle course. All there seems to be is some kinda track around the muddy rugby pitch. I was looking forward to jumping thru swinging tires, climbing walls, crawling under nets, gladiator/poice academy style. pity.

(What's the croquet lawn called? ).
    New square afaik..
    At first I thought he was crap but he seemed to gain some composure as i watched. Maybe he was trying to impress me.
    He probably switched from a form he was practicing to a form he already knew..
    So yeah..

I'll let the man himself inform me.

Also, I thought the general area was called New Square, would the lawn be simply called the Lawn in New Square or does it have it's own name? Coming for a run 2moro Apex, or anyone, because it's Health week and all?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Rosebyname

Does anyone know what happening with the post of honorary treasurer for the CSC. I heard of some rumblings in the air. Apparently some SU hack is/did go/ing for it...

I'll let the man himself inform me.

Also, I thought the general area was called New Square, would the lawn be simply called the Lawn in New Square or does it have it's own name? Coming for a run 2moro Apex, or anyone, because it's Health week and all?
    I would even though I'd only last <5 mins. Thing is I stay at home and attempt to study now. Havent been frequenting college much of recent. Just on a quick teabreak now, back to the grindstone in a mo'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

Interesting...I've never done tai chi before, so I wasn't switching to a form I knew. I do, however, feel rather self-conscious now that people are discussing my skill level on the internet...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

Rosebyname wrote:
    Does anyone know what happening with the post of honorary treasurer for the CSC. I heard of some rumblings in the air. Apparently some SU hack is/did go/ing for it...

Well nominations close at 5pm today and are announced immediately so watch this space. The positions of Chair, Secretary, Treasurer and Amenities Officer are also up for grabs, as well as Honorary Treasurer.

There are a number of definites - i.e. people from this year's CSC Exec who have thrown their name into the hat. However there has also been rampant speculation, especially about the position of HonTreas and Chair. A number of people have been talking about going to shake things up a bit, but we'll find out in 40 minutes if they actually did.

Ah only kidding Desertcircus, i was just checking if you still read this or not. Maybe someone alerted you.... wasn't that a lot of commotion last year about the position of treasurer between one phil guy and a non-phil guy?
    so watch this space.

Let us know.

I'm heading over there now, cos I went for something myself...

Yeah there was a fair bit of drama involved in a couple of the elections last year. It happened when the guy who was elected Treasurer, Dermot Frost, had to pull out so another meeting was called to elect a new Treasurer and, as it turned out, Amenities Officer (the previous Amenities guy, Colm Brophy won Treasurer so the position of AO became vacant). There was a bit of a backlash against the Phil, and I don't think the candidates ended up being judged on their individual merits tbh (and I'm speaking as somone who has never exactly been enamoured by the Phil...)

I hear the Phil may be attempting a mini-coup this year though, so maybe I'm speaking too soon.

Just for people who don't know, the Hon Treasurer, along with the Treasurer, play a strong role in deciding the amount of money that each society gets each year. They also sit on the Capitations Committee

• Advertisement

Yes I hear someone from the Phil is going alright. Mightened be bad to give the CSC a bit of a dose of shake-up. They have been deeply boring this year and full of the usual hacks and cronies: I have heard that certain societies didnt get any increase in grants this year even though all was claimed last year and members increased dramatically...

This seems staggeringly insignificant compared to the election that just happened in the Vatican but for those interested, here's the nominees for the CSC Exec:

Chair: Rory Treanor
    Treasurer: Colm Brophy
    Honorary Treasurer: Joe O'Gorman
    Amenities Officer: Kat Sheane
    Secretary: Paul C (Condon? Secretary of Players) or Christine Bohan (er, me)

Despite all the rumours, nothing majorly controversial. Paddy Cosgrave's name was in the ballot box for Hon Treasurer, but because a) he's not a capitated student and b) he wasn't proposed/seconded by two treasurers, it's not counted. He also seconded someone for Amenities but again, because he's off-books it didn't count.

And just on the whole 'hack' thing in CSC Exec this year, that's nonsense. The people on it this year were usually just a committee member of one society, compared to last year when everyone held multiple positions.

Did Francis Kieran not go for Honorary Treasurer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Evidently not....

G'wan Stargal! I'm sitting here with the FG treasurer-elect. Coalition building it will be :D.

I don't understand. Who's secretary?

• Advertisement

Who's the FG treasurer elect? I thought FG in trinity run for panel or so their AGM annual review thing said so..

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

stargal wrote:
    Secretary: Paul C (Condon? Secretary of Players) or Christine Bohan (er, me)

Grand, you'll Be making the tea, i guess....

i Take 2 sugars with mine

Okay...*writes that down* and would you like anything with your tea? Today's special is cheesecake, but we also have an excellent carrot cake that I'd personally recommend...

I'm rambling.

Yeah, what happened was all the positions except for Secretary were uncontested, so the people automatically get them afaik. The election for Secretary and for the 8 ordinary members of Exec will take place at the CSC AGM next week.

And yeah, there was much talk of Franco throwing his name into the hat for HonTreas but didn't happen in the end... pity, would have been interesting. The lack of competition overall is surprising really, considering all the talk about it. Pity. Maybe there's going to be loads of competition for Exec again, like last year, when 17 people went for it and only 8 could get it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Rosebyname wrote:
    Who's the FG treasurer elect? I thought FG in trinity run for panel or so their AGM annual review thing said so..
    Yep, that's how it's done. But after the panel are elected the Chair appoints them, and due to some crazy stuff at the AGM they're not officially the committee yet - so he is treasurer-elect.

well good luck with that stargal. because paul doesn't post on boards and u do i feel you'd be better for this position.

So about my run. Aparently college green was "closed" yesterday. I was running around the cricket pitch and some guy told me it was closed and said I HAD to do the green week circuit. Well to be honest he wasn't totally articulate. So anyway, I start running around the rugby pitch but some other dude says it's also closed. But we finally get the picture u have to run on the concrete. But the paths were too busy so we just ran behind the pav, near moyne institute.

Anyway that's that.

Anyway...

Just to let you know, the new CSC Executive was elected yesterday:

Amenities: Kat Sheane
    Hon Treasurer: Joseph O'Gorman
    Secretary: Me ( :) )

Ordinary Members:
    Danielle McCormack
    Cathleen McGirrick
    Kate Hace
    Enda 'Angry Banana' Hadigan
    Renee Illian
    Niall O'Tuathaill
    Timothy Bowen
    Elizabeth O'Brien

Fair number of misspellings of names there, apologies for that. 15 people ran, it's been a big field for Exec these past two years.

stargal wrote:
    Anyway...

Just to let you know, the new CSC Executive was elected yesterday:

Amenities: Kat Sheane
    Hon Treasurer: Joseph O'Gorman
    Secretary: Me ( :) )

yay
    Ordinary members - Enda 'Angry Banana' Hadigan

double yay