Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mbna

Options
  • 16-04-2005 10:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭

About 5 years ago I got a credit card from MBNA and used it for a while before running up a large debt on it anyway I requested in writing for MBNA to close the account so I couldn't use it anymore while (or after) I paid it off.

Anyway it seems it was never closed down for some reason, so 12 months ago I got a bill in the post for €40 stamp duty, I contacted MBNA to query this and it was explained to me why the account had not been closed (although I can't remember what it was, it made sense at the time). I was told that I was liable for the €40 and that if I wanted the account closed I would be liable for another €40 for teh year that had just started. Eventually I convinced them to wavier the additional €40 and paid off the origional stamp duty. Then on Thursday just gone I got a bill (I've recieved no correspondance in the last year at all) for this years stamp duty.

Any suggestions/ advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I don't know how MBNA could "waive" the Stamp Duty in the first place - it's a Government Tax, nothing to do with MBNA

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Funny 'cos they said they would. Maybe cos they had messed up, they said that they decieded to take a hit on it themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I highly doubt it - you probably spoke to some gobsheen Customer Service Rep. Talk to them and get a postal confirmation of the cancellation from them for future reference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭rondjon

gillo wrote:
    I requested in writing for MBNA to close the account.....Anyway it seems it was never closed down for some reason

why aren't you following up on that aspect of the thing? if they didn't comply with your written request, surely none of the card tax is a liability to you?

have you the original letter? can you pinpoint exact date your request went in?

never mind the rights and wrongs of paying, if you weren't supposed to have the card at the time, not your problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

Hi

I don't think you have to pay the Stamp Duty if you didn't use the Credit card in the Tax year for what you are charged. But I could be wrong.

Regards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Smithers

if u have the ability to use the card within 1st april - 1st april then u are liable for the tax, also the levy is for the previous year, so if u close ur account on 3rd april for instance u pay €40 on the 1st and €40 on the 3rd

The daft gits sent me another bill, this time with a refund for the €40 which cancelled it out, but the also said that I had paid them €40 by direct debit, I check with the online banking for my current account and they hadn't got any money.

Think I will write to them asking for a refund of the money they "got" from my bank. I had a direct debit set up but when I got the bill sayign I owed them money I quickly cancelled it with my bank.

I've now recieved a few letters from them, each time I get one I call them and they tell me it was a accident, Jesus Ghrist, if I had this many "accidents" I'd have a football team at this stage.

The last letter I got was yesterday, now they are threatenign to send out a debt collector- in a way I'd like this to happen that way I'd actually have a genuine case for takign them to court on grounds of harrassment and intimedition.
    Has anyone ever had a call from a debt collector?? is it jsut a case of telling them to f&*k off and the go?? I presume you can tell them that they are on private property and as they are trespassing you are going to call the police??

Has anyone any experience going to the Onbudsman for credit institutions??
    Any advice or help would be appreciated...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

mbna is fraud.they screw people and make people run up high debts.then offer them loans to pay off them debts.then charge a higher rate of interest.

they are aiming at students etc
    i sent them a solictors letter as they overcharged me by 650 euro for payment protection even though i didnot want it.

so now i got it back atlast after alot of fighting over the fone.:D

drdre wrote:
    mbna is fraud.they screw people and make people run up high debts.then offer them loans to pay off them debts.then charge a higher rate of interest.

they are aiming at students etc
    i sent them a solictors letter as they overcharged me by 650 euro for payment protection even though i didnot want it.

so now i got it back atlast after alot of fighting over the fone.:D

How many months did you let it run for to get €650???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

i cannot remeber now. i was owed more but i didnot agrue enough as the are ****.they donot listen for some reason.

i just wanted to get something back to prove my point with them as they were challenging me and i donot let people mess me around and never mbna;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

You cannot 'cancel' your credit card while you are still in debt to them. They have been lying to you from the start.

Advertisement