Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quake 4 screenie

Options
  • 16-04-2005 10:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.bluesnews.com/screenshots/games/quake4/20050415/strogg_marine06b.shtml

QUAKE 4 Updated Info.

Earth is under siege by an alien race. The Strogg are cybernetic warriors--a mechanical frame and decaying body parts stabilized by flesh consumed in a systematic annihilation of other species and civilizations. In a desperate attempt to survive a Strogg attack on Earth, an armada of Earth's finest warriors is sent to take the battle to the Strogg home planet. Earth's initial assault force is nearly annihilated immediately, but one marine manages to infiltrate the base, bring down their planetary defense systems, and kill the Strogg's collective brain and leader--the Makron. Earth assumed the destruction of the Makron would end it all, but it didn't.

That's where QUAKE II leaves off and QUAKE 4 begins.

The Strogg are quickly regrouping. However, with the Strogg’s planetary defenses still destroyed, Earth's forces can deliver a full and final assault. This time, you're not alone. You are Matthew Kane, an elite member of Rhino Squad, and part of Earth’s next invasion wave. An army of soldiers are fighting with you and an arsenal of weapons and vehicles are at your disposal in this heroic and epic battle between worlds.

looks superb from that one screenshot!

kdjac

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭case n basket

Worst plot ever!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,399 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well it can only be better than the single player abomination called Quake 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭hal9000

thats a plot! and here I thought it was just a string of meaningless words :p

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Do we need a plot?

See monster. Fire. Strafe. Get hit. Fire. Kill. Find medi kit. Get blue key. Open Door. Repeat again and again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Is it just me or does the guys nipples seem "aroused"

:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭case n basket

Wicknight wrote:

:D
    I was afraid to say anything...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭bounty

meh :confused: could be screenshot of doom3, hl2, unreal2... nothing new here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

bounty wrote:
    meh :confused: could be screenshot of doom3, hl2, unreal2... nothing new here

Looks very Doom3-ish ... does use the Doom 3 engine after all .

I don't know if anyone else noticed, but I always though that some of the room textures in Doom 3 were a bit "funny" ... id seem to have used textures that looked very stretched and fuzzy on some of the room walls and plates. You can see this again in this Quake 4 shot (which makes it look very like Doom3), look at the textures of machine thing in behind yer man in the bottom right of the shot. The textures look like they have been stretched too much for the model they cover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Well it can only be better than the single player abomination called Quake 2.

Long nights spent up slogging through this game years ago....

Fantastic game!

Looking forward to Quake IV with much anticipation...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Quake 2 was 3d Doom.

NEVER DISRESPECT!

• Advertisement

Blowing someone into chunks using the railgun, with that solid electro echo sound - one of THE greatest weapons ever

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,181 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

thats one of the screenshots from either pczone or pcgamer, from a couple of months ago. looks good, but it looks very doomy, and it doesnt compare to the new engines being developed, like unreal 3.0

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,399 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Never really liked Quake 2. It looked horible, technically impressive yes but the brown textures, over use of coloured lighting and boring character designs were far from impressive. As for the weapons they were all boring except for the railgun. The enemy AI was still stuck in Quake 1 except with added scripting like ducking rockets which never worked for the poor unfortunates anyway. In gameplay terms it was severly outclassed by the build engine games at the time, the phenomenal and revolutionary Goldeneye and the severely underrated Outlaws.

However the whole package was worth it for the deathmatch level The Edge :D . Many a lan session was was played on that single level alone. I was always getting my ass kicked at it.

Weapons in Quake 2 were awesome!

Okay, the starter pistol was pathetic, but the double barrel shotgun, machine gun, rail gun, all fantastic with great meaty sound effects.

The other weapons were decidedly average...

As for the gameplay, I personally loved Quake 2 and spent hours and hours playing it....utterly brilliant game, as you say a bit shallow with regards to AI but I personnally thought the enemy design was great and the graphics, in their day, were on the same level that Doom 3 is to us today.
    the severely underrated Outlaws

The LucasArts game? That was actually rather good....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭OSiriS

The screenshot looks terrible imo, particularly for a publicity shot. With the depth in textures these days you want them to look realistic. The hooks sticking into the skin look painted on, they need to look like they are not textures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

I'd say it must suck ass trying to get women when you're a Strogg. Did anyone see that ad on TV for Volvic or ballygowan...or some water anyway - guy walks into a lift with a bottle of it, and shows off to yer wan in the lift. Then another guy walks in with a bigger bottle and so on.

*Strogg with rocket launcher arm walks into room with hot Strogg chick in there. 2nd Strogg with rail gun arm walks into arm. Strogg chick leans towards him. Strogg with a BFG arm walks in. Strogg chick gets on her knees.*

I haven't slept all weekend. Leave me alone.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Wicknight wrote:

They're not aroused, hell, they're not even nipples. They're bullets. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

I thought the shot looked abit **** actually. Was expecting more. With the menion of a group then does that mean it's going to be Call of Duty?

Advertisement