Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone an FCA member?

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭roadruner

testicle wrote: »
    If someone tells you that they are a member of the ARW, they are lying.

How sure are you about that?
    ARW.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭cp251

Conscription hasn’t been heard of in Ireland since the First World War and that was by the British army where the posters were removed by the Irish Volunteers and Sinn Fein to try to thwart England's efforts

Actually Roadrunner, conscription was never introduced in Ireland although actively condsidered. Besides they hardly needed conscription. There were plenty of volunteers. The posters you refer to were simply recruitment posters encouraging men to volunteer for the trenches.

cp251 wrote: »
    Actually Roadrunner, conscription was never introduced in Ireland although actively condsidered. Besides they hardly needed conscription. There were plenty of volunteers. The posters you refer to were simply recruitment posters encouraging men to volunteer for the trenches.

Did you read my post at all??
    Conscription hasn’t been heard of in Ireland since the First World War and that was by the British army

How could conscription for the Irish defence forces have been in ireland during the first world war when the Irish defence forces didn't form until 1922.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭mr.miagi

roadruner wrote: »
    How sure are you about that?
    ARW.jpg

a picture ov the ARW emblem doesnt mean anything

and if you are you realy shouldnt be advertising it

mr.miagi wrote: »
    a picture ov the ARW emblem doesnt mean anything

and if you are you realy shouldnt be advertising it

posting anonymously on a public forum is now called advertising is it!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 938 ✭✭✭the GALL

woody wrote: »
    As Ex-PDF I like to see young people doing something with there lives even if it is the RDF (FCA is no longer the official Name).

Also Mr. I know A7 and the DFR you know squat and as for a person making a mistake with the designation of there unit cop on, it happens.

As for slagging off which unit is better blah blah blah cop on, every unit has a role to fullfill right down to the cooks.

The only problem with the RDF is that it is full of Walter Mittys and idiots that would not get by basic training in the PDF.

For persons in this thread that are interested I would suggest you further yourself and join the PDF and see what it is really like to do it as a hobby and Job.

As for RDF Members being under Military Law this is open to interpretation and hence when out of uniform they can say and do what they want.
    A isnt it nice how them brave EX pdf hold us
    yea dont slag off other unit thats for the pdf
    walter mitty's and idiot's.....yer right doin volentary work and gettin slagged off by x member's ........sure you'd want to be mad to listen to it

yea give up collage and stay in the job for twenty odd years for what €700(before tax)...what ever you do dont get a "real job etc etc and push a brush or lay blocks for €1000"
    and to finish it off there's a lot of reservist's out there do the job on a wednesday night with a hundred % commitment and get no backing from the PRO'S .....dont tell me you were cadre and if you were 'meh' i,ve seen better
    After reading your post again I so want to say 'F.U' GET A LIFE YOU FAT B**TARD' but I wont cause I dont know you.

Roadrunner, just saw your original post. You do realise that putting up posters asking for volunteers is not conscription don't you:rolleyes:
    Conscription hasn’t been heard of in Ireland since the First World War and that was by the British army

How could conscription for the Irish defence forces have been in ireland during the first world war when the Irish defence forces didn't form until 1922.
    30-03-2008 16:33

As for the above you wrote the first line not me. :D

roadruner wrote: »

look it up
    "to inform, to give public notice of"

cp251 wrote: »
    Roadrunner, just saw your original post. You do realise that putting up posters asking for volunteers is not conscription don't you:rolleyes:

As for the above you wrote the first line not me. :D

Come back when you've read a history book, the British were coercing Irish into the British army, the posters were just a cover, any Irish person who decided to volunteer (Found out they were going straight to the front lines without training or proper kit) when they changed their minds (which a lot of them did) they were threatened with jail or worse and then MADE sign up, so that’s your idea of a volunteer is it? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

First line? what are you on about????

• Advertisement

mr.miagi wrote: »
    look it up
    "to inform, to give public notice of"

Whats this dictionary corner
    Here look this up while you're at it!!!!

Anonymously - without giving name: without being named or acknowledged

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,456 ✭✭✭Riddle101

I'm in the 2nd Air Defence, woooooooooooo! let's blow up planes

ok roadrunner, lets call it even............:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 938 ✭✭✭the GALL

Riddle101 wrote: »
    I'm in the 2nd Air Defence, woooooooooooo! let's blow up planes
    Is that the 2AD out of dublin.....Is shrek still with yas?

Come back when you've read a history book, the British were coercing Irish into the British army, the posters were just a cover, any Irish person who decided to volunteer (Found out they were going straight to the front lines without training or proper kit) when they changed their minds (which a lot of them did) they were threatened with jail or worse and then MADE sign up, so that’s your idea of a volunteer is it?

That's not conscription either.

You contradict yourself?
    any Irish person who decided to volunteer
    (Found out they were going straight to the front lines without training or proper kit)
    That while exaggerated was true of much of the British army of at one stage.

That sounds suspiciously like Republican propaganda, probably written to explain away why so many Irishmens did sign up for the British.

Neither of my Grandfathers were threatened with prison.

I suggest you check your facts better. Maybe a less biased history book.
    Quote:

30-03-2008 16:33

You originally wrote both of the lines in the quote. So you are arguing against yourself:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 tpr uzell

Cavman wrote: »
    im in the 11th cav its pretty dam good,ive experience of other units and it seems to be better by a longshot
    i was in the 11th and you won't find a better uint

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 TransplantedDub

Howya....I'm an Ex MP from the 2nd Field MP Company (archival now unfortunately !! ), living in the US, I was back in Dublin last August, and took a stroll thru' Collins, sad really, had not seen it in 19 years, its all blocked off around the main square. I came across a photo on the web , I think with one face I recognize, what I remember as a Lt Reynolds from the 2nd. Obviously, it appears another MP unit amalgimated the 2ndFD .I noticed the new berets...jaysus...back then it would have from being called a "meathead" to a "friendly match" !! I came over here in '89, the styer had just come in then. :rolleyes:
    Spent 5 years on a fire department over here (Dudley, Mass.)
    Would love to hear if anyone knows any former 2fd mp's
    Cheers........:D

Advertisement