Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Fresh win xp home sp2 not seeing 2nd hard drive

• 16-04-2005 1:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭

i have just done a fresh install of windows xp home edition (with sp 2 )and moved all the files i wanted to keep over to the second hard drive but now windows does not see the second hard drive :(

when i go into computer managment i see this :

http://members.boards.ie/clover/hd%20unallocated.JPG

is there anyway to save the data on the second hard drive ?

gratefull for any tips you can give .

thanks

Matt.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Tried this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

thanks for the link sceptre .

i forgot to mention i'm running sp2 .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭osmethod

Clover wrote:
    i have just done a fresh install of windows xp home edition (with sp 2 )and moved all the files i wanted to keep over to the second hard drive but now windows does not see the second hard drive

Can you simplify you're question....? If you can't see the drive how did you copy over files in the first place...?

Explain your problem a bit better and we may be able to help...

osmethod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

From my reading of his first post it appears to me that he could see the second drive before formatting thus being able to copy over any files he wanted to backup and now that he has formatted his primary drive he can no longer see the second drive! Ya a bit more info is needed to give proper advice... That is the most annoying thing when trying to give advice when you don't recieve half of the info that you need to give the proper advice to the person

sorry about not being more clear , so here goes.

i could see both my 120 gig drive " C " ( with xp on it ) and my 250 gig drive " E " .

i had files on " E " and could acess them with no problems , then i took the files from drive " C " (that i did not want to lose) and copied them to my drive " E " and again i could acess them with no problems.

then i did a fresh install of xp which went fine until i relised that i could no longer see drive " E " ( hard drive ) in " my computer " but my 2nd dvd drive now is named " E " .

when i go into computer managment i see this:

http://members.boards.ie/clover/hd%20unallocated.JPG

and if i want to allocate the drive i have to format it which will wipe the files i was trying to keep in the first place.

in the past on my second pc ( win 98 ) i have copied over files i wanted to keep onto my second hard drive and formatted and re-installed the operating system on the first drive , with no problems .

hope that explains the problem a little better.

thanks,

Matt.

• Advertisement

i got hold of some software here : http://www.cgsecurity.org/
    and recovered all of the data :D

don't want to go through that again :eek:

Advertisement