Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ripwave drama over VPN

• 16-04-2005 3:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hello,,

I decided to order IBB Ripwave despite the various negative comments on this forum as I'm less than a mile on a straight line from the RTE mast, so I thought I wouldn't have many troubles. I don't need a very fast Internet access so 512kb download and 128kb upload are fine for what I have to do
    and didn't want to interfere with the phone line so I decided to test Ripwave
    I received the kit last monday (a month after the initial order). On that day I had no connection at all (red led constantly flashing) anywhere in the house. I rang the support and they said that the modem was configured on the wrong mast. They reconfigured it for the correct mast and I was finally able to get Internet access. The speed was anyway apalling on monday tuesday wednesday. Sometimes I had to wait 5 minutes for a page to download completely. It was so bad that at some stage I got fed up and switched back to the dial up modem to be able to to something. The perfomance was bad expecially during the morning / afternoon hours, a bit better at night, but very patchy all the times. Now from thursday until now it's been way better. Browsing , downloading etc. is fast enough....but will it last ????

My current problem anyway is that every time I open a VPN connection to the workplace, the VPN tunnel drops every 3 or 4 minutes or less and it's impossible to work remotely. The same VPN connection works without problems over 56k dialup or Esat or Eircom broadband. (I have a laptop and tested various providers at friends' houses). I mailed the support twice, called them , so far no answers.

I also noticed that now they offer free 1MB Breeze installation at 35 € a month but you have to dig hard to find it on their site. I will call them on monday and see if they give me a free offer on that, otherwise I will send everything back as my "cooling off" period will be elapsed and go for Smart or any other traditional provider after the bad IBB experience so far.....

Maples180

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 105 ✭✭nutzboutstuff

I used to have the same problem with eircom strangely, and it just went away, but when i had it i set up keep the vpn endpoint alive by basically pinging it constantly. Won't affect your transfer very much, very strange to send alot of echo requests through your tunnel but it doesn't affect it much.
    What client are you using by the way? is it ipsec, ssl...??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 maples180

Thanks for the suggestion.
    I have no problems with Eircom or Esat connection. I anyway started a continuous ping session but have the same issue with RipWave. After a few minutes the VPN connection drops: the ping session shows a "general failure" and then request timeouts. I'm using a IPSec client and Smarcard and the authentication is done through a Certificate which is stored on the Smartcard. Obiouvsly there is a PIN for the smartcard, in case the smartcard is lost or stolen. Today the speed appears to be slower than over the past few days probably because of the bad weather. I have to refresh twice or 3 times for some pages before they load completely. I'll ring IBB tomorrow and see what they say as my mail to the support has been unaswered so far.

Advertisement