Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rule 42 decision DDay (It's OPEN)

• 16-04-2005 3:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭

Well I'm sure everyone will know that it will be decided today whether or not Croke Park will opened to Soccer and Rugby.

The first decision has not gone well:
    GAA Congress delegates choose secret ballot on Rule 42
    16/04/2005 - 14:48:39

The GAA Annual Congress has voted to use a secret ballot in deciding whether to allow a temporary relaxation of the infamous Rule 42 to allow rugby and soccer internationals to be played at Croke Park while Lansdowne Road is being redeveloped.

The delegates voted 165 to 153 in favour of holding the secret ballot on the Co Roscommon motion.

Results of the ballot are expected around 3pm this afternoon.

A secret ballot is not what we wanted, this means members who were mandated to vote yes can now vote no without anyone knowing.

More to follow......

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

If it was a public vote I'd be confident but with a secret ballot anything could happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Secret vote equals Vote no.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

The secret vote result shows probably how the vote will turn out.
    165 people wanted a secret ballot, while some might have done it out of principle, unlikely, since they all knew that they'd have a better chance of voting no with a secret ballot, means that 165 people or thereabouts want to vote no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Or maybe, some of the people who want to vote yes, but said they will vote no want to have a secret ballot, so they can't be held accountable by their peers who thought they'd vote no.

Or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

seansouth wrote:
    Or maybe, some of the people who want to vote yes, but said they will vote no want to have a secret ballot, so they can't be held accountable by their peers who thought they'd vote no.

Or something.

Popular belief is that it will be exactly the opposite. Associations that have instructed delegates to vote in favour will have no way of knowing if their instructions have been carried out.
    A Secret ballot means there is a bigger chance of rejection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Rule 42 amendment carried.

Mike.

That's great news

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭dcarroll

mike65 wrote:
    Rule 42 amendment carried.

Mike.
    what does that mean

yesssssssssssssssssssssss

Croke Park has been opened up. More to follow

• Advertisement

Rule 42 will be changed to allow "foreign sports" to be played in Croke park.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Ehh Eirebhoy about those 2 tickets to France game in lansdowne , i lost them :)

kdjac

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,048 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

I think we all must have been jumping between boards and breakingnews.ie for the last hour.

KdjaC wrote:
    Ehh Eirebhoy about those 2 tickets to France game in lansdowne , i lost them :)

kdjac
    hehe :) Israel, Swiss?

Leonard wrote:
    I think we all must have been jumping between boards and breakingnews.ie for the last hour.
    Yep leonard :D

When lansdowne closing, cant see GAA allowing games in Croker if Lansdowne not a pile of rubble.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Dark Days Indeed..........ops.!...this is the Soccer forum.......am.....great news ! :)

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

KdjaC wrote:
    When lansdowne closing, cant see GAA allowing games in Croker if Lansdowne not a pile of rubble.

kdjac

I'd say you're right there,wasn't the motion giving 'The Central Council' power to allow other sports.Doesn't necessarily mean they will.

Seven Worlds will Collide

Answering that q on RTE 2 now.

"if lansdowne is available croke park will not be used"

How much semtex would it take to put down a stadium?

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

Yes the motion says Croke Park can only be used while Lansdowne road is being rebuilt. So I'll meet ye at Lansdowne Road around 9pm, I have 3 sledge hammers incase anyone needs a lend :D

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,048 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

227 for and 97 against. Great result.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2005/0416/gaa.html

They have also decided to put floodlights into Croke Park, and a retractable roof.

It'll be some place.

irish1 wrote:
    Yes the motion says Croke Park can only be used while Lansdowne road is being rebuilt. So I'll meet ye at Lansdowne Road around 9pm, I have 3 sledge hammers incase anyone needs a lend :D
    I'll head around, can I have the loan of one of them hammers.

Nice one RTE 2 putting a decent effort into showing the news,

Going into detail about it too.

kdjac

And the debate has moved from the GAA forum to the soccer forum. :) Didn't take us long to take over. ;)

Sligo motion to open Croke Park passed
    16/04/2005 - 16:48:55

A secret ballot has passed a motion to open Croke Park to allow international rugby and soccer matches to be played there while Lansdowne Road is being redeveloped.

The final result was 227 to 97 for the motion for the temporary relaxation of the controversial "Rule 42".

It was 165 for and 153 against taking the crucial vote to a secret ballot.

Out of 326 delegates eligible to vote at the GAA’s Annual Congress, 325 votes were counted with one spoiled vote.

Cavan, Wicklow, Clare, Roscommon, Kerry and Longford had withdrawn their Rule 42 motions to support a similar one from Sligo.

Earlier today it was decided by 165 votes to 153 to hold a secret ballot on the motion.

Already decided today:
    - The mandatory wearing of helmets for Under-21 hurlers has become law.
    - Kicking tees have just been made optional for football goalkeepers.
    - Floodlighting coming to Croke Park, and with the possibility of a retractable roof.

From BreakingNews.ie.

Floodlights been added is a bonus for Irish Soccer friendlies.

Seansouth you can have a hammer, I'm working on a few kango's.

seansouth wrote:
    I'll head around, can I have the loan of one of them hammers.

we need lots of these and someone to keep sketch!!!

kdjac

• Advertisement

How would the retractable roof work with the hill there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

It's a shame that it won't be open for the France game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Guy from Ireland on Sunday was on Radio One just there. He reckons Lansdowne Road will not be unavailable until 2008/2009 as the planning permission is expected to be very problematic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I'd just like to be the first to congratulate the government for delivering on their promise of a National Stadium for Ireland! Well done lads!

Now the only remaining question is "how long after Lansdownes is flattened before Bertram and co deliver the 'bombshell' that there's gonna be no redevelopment at D4?" My money is on 10 minutes (presuming its post General Election of course.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

eirebhoy wrote:

Perhaps a variation on Miller Park, Milwaukee?
    http://www.ballparksofbaseball.com/nl/miller704.jpg

Can't see a roof happening anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Fantastic news, I'm absolutely delighted!

They really need to get the ball rolling on the Lansdowne development now (excuse the pun!)

I just think it'll be brilliant to showcase Croke Park on the international stage.

Can you just imagine foreign fans that have been to Lansdowne before for a soccer or rugby match coming over to Croke park for the first time!
    It'll be like "What the F**k!!!" "Where did you lot get this place form???"

A great day for Irish sport!

B.

P.S. Pigman, don't be such a cynic!! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

great news, we'll see record attendances for irelands home matches which should be a fantastic boost for fans, the team and everyone.

imagine over 80,000 irish fans watching d boys in green under floodlights. *drools*

landsdowne imo has got a bit boring in terms of atmosphere - holland in '01 was the last time the place was really rocking imo. more than twice the capacity should bump up the noise levels, ewspecially if we have 7.30 kick-offs.

the only worry now is that we wont get the big names in our group. that said i'd expect a capacity crowd for the 1st match played in croker and probably the best atmosphere we've ever seen at ireland matches with the buzz/excitement around the place. hopefully a good atmosphere and good behaviour could make irelands stay permanent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Whats going to happen with the residents agreement? Has the GAA issued a statement about that?

smemon wrote:
    landsdowne imo has got a bit boring in terms of atmosphere - holland in '01 was the last time the place was really rocking imo. more than twice the capacity should bump up the noise levels, ewspecially if we have 7.30 kick-offs.
    The Israel match is at 7.30 on a Saturday. Expect the best atmosphere in years, everyone will have a few drinks down them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

Great news indeed,been hoping for a number of years that this silly rule would be abolished :) cant wait for the first Ireland game in Croker..... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

eirebhoy wrote:

Maybe they'll do thesensible thing and get rid of it to make it all seater (not bloody likely). Theres going to be a great big hole in the atmosphere, a bit like the Depor - Shels game with the terraces empty (only just at 1 end)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

eirebhoy wrote:
    The Israel match is at 7.30 on a Saturday. Expect the best atmosphere in years, everyone will have a few drinks down them.
    But the Lansdowne Road redevelopement is not due until 2006/07, isn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

smemon wrote:
    imagine over 80,000 irish fans watching d boys in green under floodlights. *drools*.

AFAIK the capacity is down to 60-65k without hill 16.

Brian017 wrote:
    But the Lansdowne Road redevelopement is not due until 2006/07, isn't it?
    yeah, just replying to Lansdowne's terrible atmosphere in recent years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

According to news bulletins even though croker has been opened they may not use it. "They are still looking at alternative options".

Probably just tactics to get the right price. interestingly during the week the GAA were saying the would be looking for 1 million per match and the FAI were only interested in paying 250 k per game.

It might still be a while before they reach agreeement and we see soccer in croker .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭Dewey

I can't wait to see Ireland play is Croker. i bet you any money when when Lansdowne is under development(when ever that is) England will be in our group. i can see it happening.

Ireland 5 vs. 1 England - Croke Park(lol)

But it doesnt matter when Lansdowne is getting done up because now we wont have to go over to UK for "Home Games".
    But i think the players will have to get use to it first. i wouldn't like them playing in Croke Park for the first time in a quilifier. there should be a few friendlies first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Stekelly wrote:
    Maybe they'll do thesensible thing and get rid of it to make it all seater (not bloody likely). Theres going to be a great big hole in the atmosphere, a bit like the Depor - Shels game with the terraces empty (only just at 1 end)
    Why would that be sensible? Would reduce capacity and atmosphere. Maybe UEFA will do the sensible thing and allow terraces again, subject to meeting certain safety conditions, which I'm sure the new Hill would meet. I know the German FA for one advocate this.

In any event I'm pretty sure the capacity is about 70,000 even without the Hill.

Very funny the FAI coming out during the week (before the vote) saying they'd be prepared to pay about EUR250k for renting the stadium. This knowing full well that U2 had to pay over EUR1m. :rolleyes:

But we're still a long way from soccer and rugby being played in Croker. I see Bertie is saying he doubts that Lansdowne will ever be re-developed and he's still banging on about Abbotstown being a runner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

Its going to be 2007 at the very earliest if we do see soccer in Croker. Im not sure about this whole planning process. Like when has anything ever went to plan here in this country ? It could be 2008 before they start knocking down lansdowne road. Bertie is still backing the bertie bowl. Personally I think a 50k seater would be very handy if we could have access to a larger stadium. Not all games will be sell outs.

I dont know how a roof will work in Croker ? The floodlights will be brilliant. They could something to fill in that massive hole in the Hill 16 end. Juve have a metal covering that covers a similar hole. Maybe Croker could follow suit. Or put in a seating tier higher up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

I remember seeing on a gambling website (paddy powers or betfair i think) in 2002 (after saipan fiasco) you could get odds of 10,000 - 1 that Roy Keane would play a competitive international for Ireland in Croke Park :eek: Obviously it seemed like Roy Keane would never play for Ireland again, and even if Mick was to loose hisjob, it wouldnt be untill after the WC campaign we're currently in, and Roy would be retired by than AND there was no chance of Croker ever opening anyway........why didnt i back it!! :mad: €100 bet.. i'd be a millionaire!!! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

Roy Keane will be retired before we see an Ireland team in Croker.

• Advertisement
Advertisement