Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rule 42 decision DDay (It's OPEN)

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

i cant vision lansdowne completed myself, like bertie (its ireland after all). i mean, can anyone?! look at eircom park, nice wee models, brochures,advertisements etc on it and you think, whow this looks good it could actually happen.

govnm't 250,000 seater space age 100billion euro yolk comes along and the fai say like idots, hey thats better than ours, we'll go there. that was never going to happen.

now, everyone decides to scrap all the fancy models and brochures (which by the way cost millions between eircom park and abbotstown) and just give a face lift to landsdowne. we've been let down twice already and by now we should know to fear the worst.

i can see croke park staging 2 or 3 friendlies as warm-ups, everything goes smoothly, fans behave, atmosphere fantastic, gaa reeling in the cash, everyones lifted and suddenly by mutual agreement croker will be the new home to soccer (maybe rugby too).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

can see croke park staging 2 or 3 friendlies as warm-ups, everything goes smoothly, fans behave, atmosphere fantastic, gaa reeling in the cash, everyones lifted and suddenly by mutual agreement croker will be the new home to soccer (maybe rugby too).

Never happen im afraid. Landsdown road will be developed at some stage although it may be a few years down the line till completion it will be done.

The bertie bowl is consigned to the history books too I think.
    Also remember its the GAA's stadium and they ar no way going to let major soccer matches can take place around the busy August/September weekend where the All - Ireland Finals Take place. We have no control over this as they are assigned international weekends by UEFA/FIFA

Rugby usually takes place in the Spring so thats ok.

So that means that Ireland without landsdown will have to play international's away from home around that time.

Remember this is a temp leave that will allow other games to be played there DURING the construction of landsdown road. IF that doesnt happen then there will be no games played there.

I wouldnt support croke park being the permanent home of soccer and rugby in the long run anyway and just goes to show the FAI and to a lesser extent what a crowd of tits they are!!

The ball is now in the other foot. The GAA have done their bit and its up to others to step up to the mantle and sort out it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Pigman II wrote:

Now the only remaining question is "how long after Lansdownes is flattened before Bertram and co deliver the 'bombshell' that there's gonna be no redevelopment at D4?" My money is on 10 minutes (presuming its post General Election of course.)

Holy **** you werent far wrong :D

http://www.rte.ie/sport/2005/0418/lansdowne.html

he digging himself out of th ehole he got himself into yesterday.

Is pigman bertie???

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

KdjaC wrote:
    Holy **** you werent far wrong :D

And there was me telling him not to be so cynical!

B.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Very funny the FAI coming out during the week (before the vote) saying they'd be prepared to pay about EUR250k for renting the stadium. This knowing full well that U2 had to pay over EUR1m. :rolleyes:
    But arent U2 playing two dates, having thousands of people on the pitch, selling beer to all punters, and charging something like a 70 euro minimum admission?

Sounds fair enough to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,625 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

The GAA are unreal.
    Let's look at the facts here.
    They vote to allow "Foreign" games to be played in Croker while Landsdowne Road is being dug up. So that won't happen until 2006/2007 at the earliest.
    That means that the games against Israel and France will be in Landsdowne
    Road!
    GAA want a million per game (rumoured)/50% of the gate receipts and they keep all the profits from the vendors, bars etc!
    GAA has voted to allow other sports in.
    If the FAI AND IRFU decide not to play the games there because of the huge fees that the GAA are going to charge them, who's going to get the backlash.
    Not the GAA!

P.S.
    The reason U2 are not playing a 3rd gig is because seemingly
    the GAA charged them double for the 2nd gig (what the 1st one cost!)
    and they told them a THIRD one would cost them double that!

okidoki987 wrote:
    The GAA are unreal.
    Let's look at the facts here.

Links or proof please....cause your stating it as fact!
    They vote to allow "Foreign" games to be played in Croker while Landsdowne Road is being dug up. So that won't happen until 2006/2007 at the earliest.

So the ineptitute of the FAI and IRFU is the GAA's fault now along with the planning laws :rolleyes:
    That means that the games against Israel and France will be in Landsdowne

And...whats your point?? Its open during the construction of Landsdown Rd. That was the issue at hand nothing else.
    GAA want a million per game (rumoured)/50% of the gate receipts and they keep all the profits from the vendors, bars etc!

I thought you said they were FACTS! :p :rolleyes:

And even so the FAI and IRFU can make up to 4 million a game, so a million aint bad imo. Its their stadium after all.
    GAA has voted to allow other sports in.
    What this thread is about.
    If the FAI AND IRFU decide not to play the games there because of the huge fees that the GAA are going to charge them, who's going to get the backlash.

True the ball is in their court now. The GAA has done all it could.

Again links please!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

I read in an article today that seats CAN be put in on hill 16. The stadium was designed to take them there. 8,000 seats can fit.

Segregation isnt going to be a major problem as first thought. The hill acts as a natural divsion between supporters and I think the officals will be using it as a natural barrier. They could put all the away supporters in the hill (10% of 80,000 = 8,000).

Flood lights will be a bit tricky though. The stadium is completly wired and ready for them, the problem is that different lights are required for rugby and soccer. They need P.P. so it might take a while.

The GAA should get money from the government to cover floodlighting and put in a MASSIVE big screen behind the hill.

A screen is usualy put up there anyway for the big All ireland matchs so the same will probably happen. Not sure your would get 8,000 away supporters all the time too. The hill is divided in two there is the hill 16 part and the nally terrace seperated by a 4 foot high fence.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

well they dont have to use all of the hill. They can divide it up as necessary. I was just pointing out how they could segregate fans. Croker seems to be a excellently designed stadium.

They have a screen up but its a bit dodgy. Maybe they could invest in a permament one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Apparently plans are afoot to have a permanent Big Screen installed sometime this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,625 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

So the ineptitute of the FAI and IRFU is the GAA's fault now along with the planning laws
    Well you don't expect the IRFU or FAI to take the blame do you? :D
    And...whats your point?? Its open during the construction of Landsdown Rd. That was the issue at hand nothing else.
    the point is the capacity of LR is bugger all so the chances of Joe Public
    getting to see the game will be ZERO!
    I thought you said they were FACTS!
    Apart from that one ;)
    And even so the FAI and IRFU can make up to 4 million a game, so a million aint bad imo. Its their stadium after all.
    I don't dispute the GAA have to get paid by the codes but how many games will they sell out?
    RUGBY
    England Probably
    Scotland No Chance
    Wales Maybe
    France Probably
    Italy No Chance

Soccer
    Unless it's against a top 10 team in the World, No chance
    True the ball is in their court now. The GAA has done all it could.
    But has made sure it will get well paid for it's trouble.

Quote:
    Again links please!?

A conversation with somebody associated with the U2 gig, don't think you find anything in print about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

okidoki987 wrote:

I don't dispute the GAA have to get paid by the codes but how many games will they sell out?
    RUGBY
    England Probably
    Scotland No Chance
    Wales Maybe
    France Probably
    Italy No Chance

Soccer

England yes
    Scotland No
    Wales Maybe
    France Yes
    Italy No

soccer
    Unless it's against a top 10 team in the World(friendly)
    yes if its either of the top two other teams in our group for a competitive game .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭rovingrover

The IRFU will easily sellut all home rugby 6 nationas games except Italy. they just have to do a block booking system to sell that one out.

Croke Park would sellout two or 3 times over for Israel in June. No problem doing likewise with a block booking system for home football qualifiers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

okidoki987 wrote:

RUGBY
    England Probably
    Scotland No Chance
    Wales Maybe
    France Probably
    Italy No Chance

Soccer

RUGBY
    England Yes
    Scotland Yes
    Wales Yes
    France Yes
    Italy Yes

My knowledge of above is small but i do notice that every Euro Cup game is sold out regardless of venue est 60k(combining incase Slash/Ed reading) if all them teams playing.

All Irish matches sold out too, i would imagine if anyone was playing and ireland were GOOD and had EXPECTATIONS to win. The crowd would be there.

/cap letters most important :D

Soccer
    Any qualification match would be full, doubt there would be any freindlies there and as a grateful person i wouldnt expect the GAA to allow them. Its necessity only(oh god i hope i right and pigman wrong and the goverment wont turn around say "HAHA not building anything anywhere" but he prolly right :( ).

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

To be honest I'm just glad that they opened up Croke park. At least Ireland won't have to play it's home matches over in an english stadium now.

Advertisement