Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Broadband Upgrading thread. Discuss Here.

• 16-04-2005 3:50pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I mailed old titan about this:

Wow! We are ahead of ourselves!

I told the sales guys to implement the new pricing for new customers, but the press release had to hold off until the new packages were announced.

I did not know we had announced it already via the web….

We have introduced a new entry level residential package at 1Mb with various caps as we found there to be a reasonable demand at that space and we wanted to test the market. The current 1Mb product at €48.40 is being upgraded to 2Mb with no caps.

Thanks for updating me on our own pricing!!!!

OT

Sent: 15 April 2005 09:42
    To: Jeremy Nel
    Subject: RE: Package changes

Just one more question if it is not happening for approx 3 weeks how come the website states

Description
    Breeze 1MB

Purpose
    Fast Internet access for:-tele working -freeing up the home phone line-unrestricted uploading and downloading. A superior home product suitable for families with high usage and Home Networks.

Competing Products
    Dial up, ISDN, DSL, Leased lines. (dial up / isdn are competing products? Hehe at least ye are honest J ah no I’ve never had any problems with my 1Mb connection never dialup / ISDN speeds anyways)

Symmetrical
    (same speed upstream as down)
    Yes

Download speed
    1024 Kbps

Upload speed
    1024 Kbps

Contention Ratio
    48:1

Line of Sight
    Yes

Download Limit
    30 GB

Installation Required
    Yes

Installation and Connection
    €149 including VAT

Monthly Charge
    €35.99 per month including VAT

Source: http://www.irishbroadband.ie/htmdocs/our_products/Breeze_1MB.htm

I’m assuming this is the product replacing the current 1Mb connection.

And current €48.40 1Mb customers are being updraded to *Mb in 3 weeks approx, just found it confusing that the above is stated on the IBB website.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Will that be all customers ?

Im on the churchfield mast in cork. Pings at the mo are 15ms to boards download speed 119kb/sec.

Hope the upgrade doesnt affect my pings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Dan in the other thread said that everyone on the €50 1mb package will be upped to 2mb within 3 weeks.

Things are lookin up.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭enigma_b17

im still on the 1mb i think, when was this annoucement that every1 on 1mb would be upgraded to 2mb within 3 weeks made?

Chief--- wrote:
    Things are lookin up.

You'd think that but IBB are implementing a QoS system so during business hours residential customers are limited to 235kb/s :rolleyes:
    im still on the 1mb i think, when was this annoucement that every1 on 1mb would be upgraded to 2mb within 3 weeks made?

A press release was meant to be out by the end of this week, hopefully it will be out next week.

• Advertisement

Isnt that what you would only be getting on a 2mb line anyway ?

You would be getting about 250kB/s on a 2mb line. With QoS we get 235kb/s (30kB/s).

erm, so if i get upgraded ill be on a worse and more unstable connection then im on now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Ciaran500 wrote:
    You would be getting about 250kB/s on a 2mb line. With QoS we get 235kb/s (30kB/s).
    ROFL what crap! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

i was told that we wont being gettin qos by oldtitian

• Advertisement

well theyll be saying good bye to me as a customer if they do lol

i was told that we wont being gettin qos by oldtitian

Did he say when they are stopping this? Its been going on for two weeks now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

This IBB upgrade has become quite complicated...

Did anybody here subscribe to the IBB 1Mbit - 8:1 contention ratio - business connection for €84.70 EUR per month? That's what I was on until I was upgraded to 2Mb for testing.

Now what connection will we be on now?

2Mbit - 24:1 contention? But that's €40 + VAT per month...
    2Mbit - 8:1 contention? Such a service isn't even listed on the IBB website...
    3Mbit - 12:1 contention for €135 + VAT? Too expensive obviously...

What about QoS for business customers? OldTitan explained IBB didn't differentiate between residential and business customers... Yet QoS will be implemented (between 8:00 and 18:00 is it?) in order for business customers to have a good connection during the day. But QoS also limits business customers!? Obviously this still isn't exactly crystal clear for me... :confused:

well im seriously hoping that whatever upgrade happens will sort out the complete and utter ****tiness of my pings. I have been onto em twice about it and they fixed it, lasts a couple of days and then buggers off again :/ (These are my ping stats :/, every ping usually times out twice)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭phreak

anyone know what the story is with their higher packages?

i'm currently on the 2MB for €99... will i automatically be upgraded to 3MB for €79 ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

I suppose OldTitan would be the best man for it, but my understanding is that currrently they have a small number of users, who happen to be all residential, who are using up a significant portion of IBB's network resources. IBB throttles these users during daytime to not affect peak usage. My understanding is that once you're on this list you'll stay on it. It's got nothing to do with residential or business users as such, it has to do with excessive usage and peak hours.

This is effectively the system most of you wanted by turning down a more sophisticated system where you get throttled once you hit a certain weekly download limit.

As for who get upgraded to what, who knows, but I'm interested in finding out...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭JohnMorrissey

250kb/s - 235kb/s is only 15 kb/s

250kb/s - 235kb/s is only 15 kb/s

Huh? I was talking about kilbits and kilobytes (kb & kB)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 237 ✭✭tonkpills

Just wondering what is QoS? :rolleyes:

QoS - Quality of Service

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Emerson

enigma_b17 wrote:
    well im seriously hoping that whatever upgrade happens will sort out the complete and utter ****tiness of my pings. I have been onto em twice about it and they fixed it, lasts a couple of days and then buggers off again :/ (These are my ping stats :/, every ping usually times out twice)
    Trust me, a speed upgrade won't help in your case.

You've got lots of dropped packets because of a patchy signal. 802.11 is notorious for interference.. mainly because the world and it's mother can and does use it and can interfere with your service at any time. It's unlicenced spectrum (for low powered devices anyway).

I spent a year with the same frustrations on Irish WISP.. Constant dropped packed and unreliable speeds. No matter what channel was used, there was always problems.
    When I got an upgrade from 512k to 1mb, I got speeds peaking at over 1mb, but plenty of 0kb periods where the speed was non existant. Up and down like a yo-yo.

Then, thankfully ADSL became available to me from IOL.. constant solid bandwidth at last and ~25ms pings to irish servers.
    The only problem is.. 128kbit upload!

I wasted about a grand on Irish WISP with installation, subs and having to change over to DSL (no free promo then!).. what a disaster. I could do with the dosh now!

IBB works on a licensed frequency. 5ghz afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Emerson

I thought it was only customers who requested "business gear" that got the privilege of 5ghz access..

Still valid point.. it's a bad signal you have, getting periodic Time outs to irish addresses. A bandwidth upgrade shouldn't help with stability here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

No QOS today i'd like to mention. But i'm assuming that thats because its saturday, and people would DEFINATELY notice if they're connection was crap on their day off.

I'll wait til monday and see what the story is. If i still get QoS'ed to a fraction of the speed i'm paying for, i'll be annoyed.
    I thought it was only customers who requested "business gear" that got the privilege of 5ghz access..
    They've ditched the older more unreliable equipment, and now everyone is put on the "business" gear. If you have an older connection, its possible you still have the original, more unreliable gear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭gsand

I'm on the old gear(as far as i can guess from phone calls), im an old customer, out of contract so ud think they would sort me out with the equip to get at least the 1meg if not the 2meg immediatley...

But alas, no.

I'm signing to smart next week if something isnt sorted. Im just getting nothing back and im now at the disparaged and hopeless stage that im just not getting enough for the money im spending...after a series of phone calls and no info back i think its time to give in.

gsand wrote:
    I'm on the old gear(as far as i can guess from phone calls), im an old customer, out of contract so ud think they would sort me out with the equip to get at least the 1meg if not the 2meg immediatley...

Did you ask them? You could just cancel it and reorder it with free instillation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭gsand

Well ive rang them like 2305734287523094823948 times over the last 6 months to try and get moved to the 1meg package which at this stage would entitle me to the 2meg product. They always say yes no problem we will do it now or that should be fine we'll call you back to confirm etc etc and I never get called back and never get upgraded so I assume they either have a mental block or a technology block as it has been from no lack of effort on my behalf.

I can only guess its the technology as OldTitan has said nearly everyone who was on 512k has been moved to 1meg if it was possible, which I assume to mean if it was easy and handy for IBB to do.

I'm only down the road from their headquarters in sandyford as well so its not like im trying to get this sorted from the middle of nowhere!

Take a stroll down to them and ask :p

From my experience NEVER let a company say they will ring you back, they never do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

5.7-5.8Ghz is public spectrum, you only need to register the fact that you're using it but anybody can use it anywhere. There's a lot less 5.7Ghz equipment around and you can use higher power, that's why it works better. 3.5Ghz is properly licenced on the other hand.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭Adey2002

Do IBB actually know the meaning of QoS? - My 1Meg connection (according to www.irishisptest.com) is downloading at 25.3kbps (less than a 28.8 modem) with a quality of service of 3% and a round trip time of 4735 ms.

Total crap yet again. Maybe when they upgrade to 2Meg I may actually get above 56k modem speeds.

Advertisement