Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Broadband Upgrading thread. Discuss Here.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

puma5k wrote:
    Regarding Pinging Boards.ie

I got setup there from IBB last Thursday and my ping to boards.ie are:

Ping statistics for 82.195.144.58:
    Packets: Sent = 50, Received = 50, Lost = 0 (0% loss)
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 13ms, Maximum = 26ms, Average = 17ms

Also I have not found any slow down since.
    I'm in Galway so IBB only went live here just 2 weeks ago and i don't think anyone else is connected

I am on the 1MB Breeze and I recived an email yestarday say I will be upgraded to 2MB :D
    That's what I was getting for the first few months myself! Then, disaster... One month of pure frustration :(

I hope it will last puma5k! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

Anyone still having speed problems during the day?

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭PaddyofNine

Yes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

still 30 kBytes/sec during the day, even after ringing tech support. I'm going to ring again now. This is rediculous. I've also PM'ed the wise man, and he's forwarded my complaint to someone inside of IBB, but no word back as of yet about it.

Funnily enough i was trying to download Ubuntu yesterday, at 4pm. I was very annoyed when the image was corrupt when it finally finihsed several hours later. But at least by then i was back on 2meg, so redownloading the image from a different server only took 40 mins. Damn you heanet!

Did ya get a reply mutant?I rang up the cork office and they got onto it for me they said i shouldnt have low speeds anymore during the day i havent been home to check yet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Nephew

I'm in Bray on breeze 1mb and I can't complain. According to http://www.irishisptest.com/myspeed/ my download speed is 963kbps and upload is 945kbps. I had limewire open earlier and I was consistently getting 125kb/s.

WOOOOHOOOO 1.82 mb down 1.83 mb up!!!!

Still slow during the day. I have JUST about enough speed to stream music to my laptop from my home computer. And i mean just about. The songs play as fast as it downloads.

Sent another PM, and i'll be calling IBB support again tomorrow if i dont get word back soon.

Mutant keep at them and keep them on the phone get them pissd off of talkin to you, The cork in the cork office sorted it out for me and rang me to tell me the story and the lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

Mine is also still slow in the day time. They say anything when you ring them lads. I find ringing is a waste of time. The only fixes ive had came through boards.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

mine keeps spiking all the time since about friday or monday cant remember. Is eeryone having this prob, should i not waste another phone call? sigh

edit: just saw other replies. I'll try get round to ringing them tomorrow, no news on upgrade or that net was gone offline this morning

Skud what exchange you on? Pm me there. Will tell ya how to get it sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

cheers for that btw :D They will feel my wrath oh yes. Also I'll enquire about the upgrades and get a rough estimate

Still perfect speeds today 1.82 mb both ways

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

PowerhouseDan - were you on the 1mbup/down for E48 per month with no cap, and now you haveve been upgraded to 2mb up and down for same price and still no cap ?

yup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

I've been told I am now on the QOS IBB restriction, basically I'm on a 2mb Breeze package but I can only get 2mb at off peak period, the last few days I have notice my speeds of 256kps during the day......... from 6 am to about 6 pm.

Is this fair? I'm not a high Downloader and I've been on the 1mb package for almost a year and the service has been grand........... Can IBB do this without a new contract?

Just want to let you all know what your getting into.............. I dont think any other ISP is restricting customers in this way, or are they?

Also, thier technical support kept harping on about thier corporate customers being priority !! This made me sick !! I pay good money and I expect a proper service......................

I have allot to decide before my 1 year is up in 2 months.........

What you guys think? FAIR / NOT FAIR :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

Fair, possibly not, if indeed you didnt 'abuse' the service, illegal, no, they can do that within the current contract, cause if you scan through it im sure it will mention something similar to this.

'We reserve the right to take apropriate measures to ensure quality of service / reliability of service for all our customers' and also 'we reserve the right to alter the details of this package at any time' so combine the two, and voila

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

People have been complaining about this in the other IBB threads for about 3 weeks. Oldtitan (IBB employee that visit boards) keeps going on about how IBB do not differentiate between business and residential customers yet we are continually "QoS" to unacceptable speeds.

• Advertisement

I know people have been complaining thats why I think we need to give it its own thread, I have had ADSL, Cable and now WLAN IBB and I find the new regieme so unfair ! I was never restricted when I used Eircom or NTL in my previous houses! I sometimes work form home on my work VPN and I Ul/DL allot of AutoCAD drawings which take an eternity to download on a 256kps connection!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,981 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

It doesn't need its own thread. Merged.

Who told ya about the QOS? I got mine sorted now during the day solid 1.82mb all day. took alot of hard work though but worth it. I wouldnt stand for that sh%t cant cant do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭Vadrefjorde

Guys, can someone clarify what is happening with IBB. I've been reading about IBB on boards here since last year and had decided that as soon as they were available in my area i was switching. I'va had a pre-order in since then and am still waiting. I was happy to wait as all i've ever seen on here was praise for the great connection they provide. TBH that seems to have gone out the window with the last few weeks and the more i read the more i'm wondering should i stay with ESAT. Are the problems i'm reading about simply from upgrades they are carrying out. Please don't tell me they've fcuked it up before i've even managed to get it. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

There have always been complaints about IBB because their service has always been patchy. Nothing new there. Perhaps new that they throttle a couple of more Boards users.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

It is ridiculous that when you are on a susposed 2mb ul/dl that you are only seeing 25ul/dl to 35up/dl during the day. That is not even the pings.
    You would not want to maybe ever consider atempting to play a on line game during the and really what the hell is the point of a 'broad band' connection
    if that is just not possible.

And just in case it wasnt clear I really not happy :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

My pings are perfect with the QoS, online games run exactly like they would with 2mb.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Are the problems i'm reading about simply from upgrades they are carrying out. Please don't tell me they've fcuked it up before i've even managed to get it. :mad:

If the problems are due to the upgrade then smart better be good as I think they've forced a lot of their competitors into ill advised upgrades.

Drapper I'm thinking of getting the 2mb up/down service. I'm not a heavy downloader/uploader but would like the faster speed to try to ensure good VoIP call clarity as I hope to ditch the Eircom line. Does the QoS apply to everyone during peak hours and if it does would it still be ok for VoIP?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

Any other IBB customers notice the service gone to pot in the last 2 weeks?

i seem stuck on 350~512k today after calling them about the service being down last night.

how does this QOS work? does it kick in after a certain dl amount and is it active during the weekends?

i think i got added to the qos after calling them about it being down :(

• Advertisement

Before the upgrade, my connection averaged a nice 120kBytes/sec 24x7. Whenever i wanted the bandwidth, it was there.

After the upgrade my connection now averages a shocking 130kBytes a second. Basically, 2 meg is no upgrade at all from 1meg if you're a downloader. Half the time you'll be on 1/4 of a meg, the other half you'll be on 2meg. Its rediculous.

I used to be able to time my downloads easily, so i'd know when they'd finish if i was really waiting for something. Just take the filesize, and divide by 120kB to find out how many seconds. Now i have to work out whether it'll finish before QoS kicks in or not, cos if it doesn't, it'll take 8 times longer to finish whatevers left.

I'm not a happy camper at all. And as of yet, theres STILL no news from tech support or the wise man. I've been on to tech support three times now this week, and so far no explanation at all. Its not as if they gave a reason like "Well, if you download more than a gig ANY day, we'll throttle you to 256kbps for half of every day for the next month".

Still, i have the name of the person i've been talking to, and i'll keep ringing back asking for that same person. One of these days i'll get an explanation as to how the whole QoS thing actually works. Grr argh!

End rant.

Advertisement