Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Broadband Upgrading thread. Discuss Here.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

Thaed wrote:
    It is ridiculous that when you are on a susposed 2mb ul/dl that you are only seeing 25ul/dl to 35up/dl during the day. That is not even the pings.
    You would not want to maybe ever consider atempting to play a on line game during the and really what the hell is the point of a 'broad band' connection
    if that is just not possible.

And just in case it wasnt clear I really not happy :mad:

Well said Thaed, I think IBB should be ashamed of themselves !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 237 ✭✭tonkpills

When is IBB upgrading?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭cranoo

ok enough talk from IBB , when is this poxy upgrade going to happen :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

And also when is old titan going to come tho this thread and respond to all this.

In order to put every one to the 2 meg connection they have to half the capacity of their sectors or install more sectors. Each sector has 100 meg, so 100 punters at 1 meg. To make every one goto 2 meg they drop it do 50 customers on that sector. If you are on a full sector then you have to wait till they put up more transmitters.

I had a chat with an IBB engineer at the weekend he was telling me all this. He also said that their managing director is in his 50`s and a hard core gamer, so fair play to him but I want my good pings while im QoS`ed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Just got off the phone to an IBB rep (for the second time in two days) and he said that priority is given to business users so speeds will be dropped during the day. But he also said it shouldn't be as low as 235kb/s and they are aware of the problem. I should be back up to 2mb today. :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

And also when is old titan going to come tho this thread and respond to all this.

He's not obliged to come here and respond to all our posts. I presume he was doing it when he could to be helpful and because he's a nice guy.

Chief--- wrote:
    He's not obliged to come here and respond to all our posts. I presume he was doing it when he could to be helpful and because he's a nice guy.

I'd agree, anytime in the past help was given when asked, there may be some issues in IBB internally on the QoS service.

D

BTW NTl has buufed up thier speeds to 3mb for thier top end product............... So IBB be warned !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

Hi Dan,

Apologies for only getting back to you now, but we had a Board meeting last
    week which took up a lot of preparation time and had a number of follow-ups
    we had to deal with. And it didn't help that have been swamped with e-mails,
    so it is taking me a long time to clear them.

I have passed your comments on to NetOps to check for me. The problem had
    been that around 12 or 15 of the residential users in Cork were swamping the
    network and using 80% of the total bandwidth available to Cork by
    downloading and uploading 24/7 at their full capacity. This caused a flood
    of complaints from our business users and other residential users.

Normally the radio should force the radios to back off and share the
    bandwidth but for some reason that was not happening. Therefore, to force
    the sharing of bandwidth in Cork I authorised a forced restriction on the
    residential customers who were using the 80% to enable the others to get
    their fair share until we could find the cause of the radios not backing
    off.

Either the problem has not yet been traced, or NetOps simply forgot to
    switch off the forced back-off settings.

As soon as NetOps gets back to me I will let you know.

Cheers

OT

Email 2......

Checked. It was legacy trial in your case. It has been turned off!

Sorry Danny, we screwed up. It is fixed and the cap is gone!

Cheers

OT

Chief--- wrote:

No one is obliged to reply to anything but he did start this thread, well the origonal upgrade thread anyway. But it would be nice to hear their side of the story thats what this is here for.

No one is obliged to reply to anything but he did start this thread, well the origonal upgrade thread anyway. But it would be nice to hear their side of the story thats what this is here for.

Think I'd rather the 1mb back without the QoS than this partial service !!

• Advertisement

yeah im the same, im thinking of trying to cancl my contract and getting that 1 meg with the 30 gig cap got the 35 yoyos. Even that sounds more apealing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

So any news on this "poxy" upgrade then? Anyone heard anything solid from IBB? I've read the odd newspaper clip that says that existing customers will be upgraded but I haven't seen anything specific.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭richardo

Blaster99 wrote:
    So any news on this "poxy" upgrade then? Anyone heard anything solid from IBB? I've read the odd newspaper clip that says that existing customers will be upgraded but I haven't seen anything specific.
    Just out of idle interest, I rang them today to see if there is an upgrade coming.

Apparently they are supposed to be sending letters out this week to all eligible customers, explaining what's happening and when they'll be upgraded.

This is probably a variation on their "we'll install in two weeks time" line, but at least he confirmed that all [well - mine anyway :D ] connections will be upgraded from 1Mb to 2Mb.

As usual, he was very hazy on the details, but then that's IBB Support!!

\o/ Back up to 2mb today.

The guy on the phone said they were running a script to bump everyone back up to 2mb but for some reason I was passed over. So if your stuck at 200kb/s during the day just ring them.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭enigma_b17

If its true that Business customers get priority during the day, which essentially means that all us home users get crippled down to <30k/s it is a scandal. Why in gods name are we paying for broadband if we cant actually do anything apart from browse the web. I rely on my internet connection heavily for college work, saves me having to go into college every 5 minutes to look somed up or if i need to download files or what not.....its ridiculous, and in addition even at night playing games gives me a ping of 200 ish, and downloads hit around 40k/s. IBB need to get this sorted before their entire customer base walks out on em and gets a connection that allows them to actually do things.

Did you read my post?

The QoS is meant to be gone. Ring them if its not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,328 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Just ran a test and I'm getting 966 kbps download , what speeds are you guys who upgraded getting?

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

1.92Mbps (1966kps)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

We are still crippled with Qos, 25dl/ 35 ul.
    Going to have to try ring them and speak to someone who knows that they are at. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,328 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Ciaran500 wrote:
    1.92Mbps (1966kps)

Thanks Ciaran, should everybody be upgraded at this point?

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Advertisement

I asked that today and they said over the next few weeks everyone will be upgraded.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Couch Potato

Lads are the problems on the Atrium mast fixed ??

Sales are saying they are - got to believe the users before Sales ...

Considering going with 2mb product ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Kone

richardo wrote:
    Just out of idle interest, I rang them today to see if there is an upgrade coming.

Apparently they are supposed to be sending letters out this week to all eligible customers, explaining what's happening and when they'll be upgraded.

This is probably a variation on their "we'll install in two weeks time" line, but at least he confirmed that all [well - mine anyway :D ] connections will be upgraded from 1Mb to 2Mb.

As usual, he was very hazy on the details, but then that's IBB Support!!

This is what I got..... :rolleyes:

Dear X

...................We are indeed going to be upgrading everyone currently on a 1 Meg connection up to 2 Megs. Every customer will be sent relevant
    documentation explaining the situation. You will still be paying the
    same price though. These changes are due to take effect within the next
    4 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭richardo

So the definitive answer seems to be:

Are all 1Mb connections to be upgraded to 2Mb? - Yes

When? - God knows, as IBB don't seem to :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭pete

Ciaran500 wrote:
    I asked that today and they said over the next few weeks everyone will be upgraded.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2584786&postcount=226

sigh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Kone

April eh? Hmmm, what date is it today I wonder.... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Didn't they say within the next two weeks? So anywhere between now and Christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

I rang IBB today to enquire about thier new Capless 2MB symmetrical Breeze service that hase just been switched on here in Swords. Most of the problems on this thread are (obviously) about the upgrade from 1Mb to 2Mb. Other than these problems how do you find the service in general. I have NO interest in games at all but the symmetrical nature of the connection and the absence of a cap of any sort are appealing factors.

I'm currently approaching 2 fault free/hassle free years with IOLBB now on their 2048/128 product. Could I expect this sort of reliability from IBB if I was to change over. I'm about half a mile as the crow flies from their site on Swords Garda Station in clear site of it, what do you think the chances of a hassle free connection are in your experience of the service.

Thanks in advance

ZEN

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭pete

ZENER wrote:
    I rang IBB today to enquire about thier new Capless 2MB symmetrical Breeze service that hase just been switched on here in Swords. Most of the problems on this thread are (obviously) about the upgrade from 1Mb to 2Mb. Other than these problems how do you find the service in general. I have NO interest in games at all but the symmetrical nature of the connection and the absence of a cap of any sort are appealing factors.

I'm currently approaching 2 fault free/hassle free years with IOLBB now on their 2048/128 product. Could I expect this sort of reliability from IBB if I was to change over. I'm about half a mile as the crow flies from their site on Swords Garda Station in clear site of it, what do you think the chances of a hassle free connection are in your experience of the service.

Thanks in advance

ZEN
    Personally speaking i've no complaints whatsoever. i've been with IBB over 1 year and i think I've had 1 problem, which was caused by some busted cabling in ballycoolin. ymmv.

• Advertisement

I've had it about 3 months no and never had a problem, other than the QoS limiting. No breaks in service and full speeds at anytime.

Advertisement