Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Broadband Upgrading thread. Discuss Here.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

ZENER wrote:
    I'm currently approaching 2 fault free/hassle free years with IOLBB now on their 2048/128 product. Could I expect this sort of reliability from IBB if I was to change over. I'm about half a mile as the crow flies from their site on Swords Garda Station in clear site of it, what do you think the chances of a hassle free connection are in your experience of the service.

Extremely low. I experience about a problem per week. Most common problem recently has been extreme ping spikes every so often. There are a lot of intemittent problems but you can live with them. The most annoying bit is when IBB runs out of capacity, which always seems to take them by great surprise and takes a month or so to sort out usually. During that month you will have the pleasure of dealing with a support dept that doesn't have a notion about what's going on.

If you value reliability and you have a reliable connection now, stick with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Oh my god. This is the first weekday i havn't been limited in AGES. Is this the start of a new era? Time to download crap now :p Anyone else who has been QoS'ed during daytime unQoS'ed now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

Yes QoS removed ! but they confirmed to me they will be blocking common ports and limiting P2P soon ! Simillar to NTL and Eircom/n !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Kone

ZENER wrote:
    I rang IBB today to enquire about thier new Capless 2MB symmetrical Breeze service that hase just been switched on here in Swords. Most of the problems on this thread are (obviously) about the upgrade from 1Mb to 2Mb. Other than these problems how do you find the service in general. I have NO interest in games at all but the symmetrical nature of the connection and the absence of a cap of any sort are appealing factors.

I'm currently approaching 2 fault free/hassle free years with IOLBB now on their 2048/128 product. Could I expect this sort of reliability from IBB if I was to change over. I'm about half a mile as the crow flies from their site on Swords Garda Station in clear site of it, what do you think the chances of a hassle free connection are in your experience of the service.

Thanks in advance

ZEN

Don't change! IBB are not reliable enough, I have at least 1 problem every week, if not more.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭PaddyofNine

Drapper wrote:
    Yes QoS removed ! but they confirmed to me they will be blocking common ports and limiting P2P soon ! Simillar to NTL and Eircom/n !

I'm not familiar with this - how will this affect the casual downloader? Reduced downloading times? SOAB!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

What ports have Eircom started blocking, i have noticed kazza ( not on port 1214) being unable to connect recently, and azureus (on a port like 21000 or similar) being really slow, but i sort of helped it speed up a bit eventually.

Last time i checked via a scan, a year ago, eircom hadnt blocked any ports.

Think they will start with 6881 and a few other common P2P ports !

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Keep it on topic please

ie no Eircom waffle here.

Chief.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 237 ✭✭tonkpills

Haven’t had any problems with IBB... Think there a grand group and still cant wait for upgrade.. When is it happening??? :confused:

Arse. I want my hit of linux distros via bittorrent :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

If they start blocking p2p ports in this "upgrade" i see a lot of ppl getting very pissed off. And its a lil pointless seing as you can always tunnel.

Drapper where did this info come from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭vinks

If they start blocking p2p ports in this "upgrade" i see a lot of ppl getting very pissed off. And its a lil pointless seing as you can always tunnel.

port blocking only deters casual users, power users can just randomly pick ports for most things. they cant block out all the ports :)

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭uteotw

I've been limited to 280kbit/s for more than 24 hours !!!
    I'm paying for the old 1mb with 8:1 contention...

I'll ring them ASAP.

This is unacceptable.

Thier tech support said the QoS was due to high downloading from p2p and other toorent products hogging the bandwidth and they would be looking into blocking ports associated with tese products !!

Lads I'm only stating what they said in a call, some may be more techie than others in the thread and tunnelling may not be familiar to casual users ...

well they have implemented this before informing me officialy via mail / email... so I never signed to such agrement ever. If it is so, they will have to remove their equipment from my house without charging me.

uteotw wrote:
    well they have implemented this before informing me officialy via mail / email... so I never signed to such agrement ever. If it is so, they will have to remove their equipment from my house without charging me.

They are trying to related the minimum supply contained in the contract to cover this point, but I'm sure Comreg and the media would have a field day if IBB were to share bandwidth when they feel like it !!

;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I am back up to full speed now for the past 2 days..

it's back to normal... god knows what's happening!

might be upgrades going on !

I use a games programme to trace route an IP, HLSW www.hlsw.net is free and I can see where the congestion is with IBB .......... usually its not the first Hop but from the Tallaght switch to the INex which usually means work on the network or QoS

Give it a bash !!

Screen Shot Attached................

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Why does it go to Dundalk from Tallaght?

• Advertisement

Why does it go to Dundalk from Tallaght?

Dont know !! Very strange !! did you get the programme HLSW?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭pete

*sigh*

so...am i the only person not upgraded yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Ring them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

No sign of an upgrade here either.

Blaster99 wrote:
    No sign of an upgrade here either.

I got upgraded in the testing and it great ! call and get a date !! they are updating a few locations!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,328 ✭✭✭✭Tony

anyone in Tallaght got upgraded yet?

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭vinks

im in knocklyon and i havent been upgraded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Tallaght tower, been on 2meg for quite some time now. Since about a week or so after the trials ended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

im in bayside and i aint been upgraded

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭statto

I am on 3 rock and since Monday night speed tests are showing speeds in excess of 1 meg. Have not been informed of an upgrade from IBB. My speeds are all over the place at the moment - one minute great the next terrible. Currently my speed is 309 kbps down and 541 kpbs up (up rarely goes above 600 kpbs and can be as low as 28 kbps - thats worse than dialup). Using irishisptest.

Advertisement