Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Belkin ADSL modem/wireless G-router and IOL

• 16-04-2005 6:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭

Anyone know how to set up a Belkin ADSL Modem with Wireless-G Router on IOL/BB? Sorry if this is somewhere else already, but I can't find it in the maze of info.
    I've had an IOL/ BT bb setup for a while now, working ok on the ZyXEL modem provided. I got a Belkin wireless modem in England yesterday: box says it's ok for IRL, but it can't raise an internet connection. All the lights that should be on are on, and the status page on the setup confirms the ADSL connection. But IP, subnet etc. are all 0.0.0.0. At the moment I have it connected by cable: wireless bit comes after I've sorted out the interweb bit.
    All IOL will do is confirm their settings. They don't want to talk about other configuration options on a modem 'which they have not supplied', even though this is hardly an exotic product. They seem quite happy if, as threatened, I defect to a network that actually supports these new-fangled wireless modem thingeys. I'm tempted to do that, and let them sue me for the rest of the contract money.
    Belkin support (nice to see a free help number that works from Ireland even though purchased elsewhere) have given it some time. I told the (Indian I think) technician what IOL had said, and he commented: 'It is unusual for an ISP to be so disrespectful!' But they say they don't know why it's not working, and the case has been 'escalated' to a senior techie. This means they will ring me on Monday, when I'm in work, will ask if I am in front of the PC now, and when I say 'no' will file the case for further attention.
    I've followed all of IOL's own modem setup faithfully. Differences remaining: IOL specifies NetWork Address Translation as SUA only. I can't find this anywhere in the Belkin setup.
    Belkin setup gives a choice of Annexe A or B. This is not in the IOL setup.
    Belkin setup allows a setting for MTU -- not referenced in IOL setup.
    Client IP Pool differs between ZyXEL and Belkin. IOL say this only concerns the LAN side, and not the net connection, for the ZyXEL, but that it might matter to to the Belkin (before cheerfully adding that they don't know, don't need to know, and etc.)
    The lesson long-term is that it's better to buy a service without hardware included. In the short-term, I'd be very grateful for any tips.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

The defaults should be fine except for the following which you'll need to set (IIRC they use different VPI/VCI values and PPPoA in the UK):

Driver: PPPoE
    VPI: 8
    VCI: 35
    Set up type: LLC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭johnos

Thanks Snowbat -- all of those are set, but still no go ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

I just set up one of these with Clicksilver, in the Belkin wireless monitor box in your system tray, what signal strength have you got?

I just set up one of these with Clicksilver, in the Belkin wireless monitor box in your system tray, what signal strength have you got?
    Not sure just now, as I've reverted to the old (wired) modem. Earlier, WinXP displayed a restricted network speed for a moment when the new modem started up, but then that disappeared. The modem setup status page showed that an ADSL connection had been made.
    I've just noted that the IOL routine askes for a choice of mode, and this is supposed to be set at 'Routing'. But the Belkin setup doesn't mention this anywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

When I first set mine up I had a weak signal (less than 70%) and although everything looked ok, no web pages would open.

I moved the transmitter and receiver about a bit (make sure the two antannae are pointing straight up) and got a signal of about 76% - 80% and now it's fine.

Don't know if this is your problem as I'm totally new to wireless but it's probably worth checking.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

johnos wrote:
    Anyone know how to set up a Belkin ADSL Modem with Wireless-G Router on IOL/BB? Sorry if this is somewhere else already, but I can't find it in the maze of info.
    The lesson long-term is that it's better to buy a service without hardware included. In the short-term, I'd be very grateful for any tips.

Virtually no isp will suport equipment that they do not provide simply because of the huge range out there. What is the model no of the Belkin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BrendanD

johnos wrote:
    ADSL connection. But IP, subnet etc. are all 0.0.0.0. At the moment I have it connected by cable: wireless bit comes after I've sorted out the interweb bit.

I have the same modem/router and have had a lot of problems with it , its reall hit and miss for connections , the settings for utv are
    Driver: PPPoE
    VPI: 8
    VCI: 35
    Set up type: LLC use the wizard and restart modem.
    Then on your pc you need to go to network connections and set internet protocol to alternative configuration user configured to 192.168.2.2 subnetmask should fill in automaticalley and default gateway to 192.168.2.1 .this should get you going .also check out the latest firmware updates to make sure you have the correct ver.
    I can restart this router a number of times and its hit and miss if it connects , there are loads of people complaining about them just do a search i definately would not buy Belkin again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Jammer

Have this and its grand. Using IOL, no problems at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

Found I had to upgrade to windows xp SP2 to use this !

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Couch Potato

Repli wrote:
    Found I had to upgrade to windows xp SP2 to use this !

Me Too - found the WPA Wireless is VERY flaky but don't touch anything once you get it working (eventually !!)

• Advertisement

Seems flaky is the right diagnosis.
    Managed to get a net connection after all. IOLBB support had actually given me a bum steer, saying I had my login details right. When I suspected that wasn't quite right, and input deliberately wrong details, I got the same results. End of internet problems, start of wireless network problems.
    I have only two computers attached to the router, and they take turns in failing to connect. Then for no particular reason they hook up. The router is not giving them an IP address, even thought the adapters are continually hunting for them. Works perfectly with cable conn., so the problem is definitely in the wireless setup. Not a signal problem, as sometimes problems arise when the signal is rated excellent, as in two feet between router and adapeter.
    Starting to regret going wireless and plotting paths for a great big ugly cable going through the house.
    Belkin support are quite responsive, in fairness, but I'm getting tired of them telling me to download new drivers, which hasn't worked for me. Incidentally, they actually told me to use Windows rather than their own network utility.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭DingChavez

I got one of these yesterday. I was able to set it up in about half an hour. No problems so far. Signal strength is "Very Good" form my living room to bedroom.

DingChavez wrote:
    I got one of these yesterday. I was able to set it up in about half an hour. No problems so far. Signal strength is "Very Good" form my living room to bedroom.
    Good for you. Did you do anything special in the setup? What adapters are you using?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Lantis

I'm having the exact same problem now, and none of the advice above seems to work. Still getting that red "No Connection" and the string of 0.0.0.0 addresses.

Anything else that could be buggering it up?

Advertisement