Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Words you've misused.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

my mammy is still a virgin. Am i an immaculate conception?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

No..your just a miracle. Your special!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭ExOffender

ColHol wrote:
    my mammy is still a virgin. Am i an immaculate conception?
    No, you're adopted. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,474 ✭✭✭✭Victor

'fulsome' as in 'a fulsome apology' is almost always used to mean complete and unequivocal when in fact it's anythign but.
    http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=fulsome
    Usage Note: Fulsome is often used to mean “offensively flattering or insincere.” But the word is also used, particularly in the expression fulsome praise, to mean simply “abundant,” without any implication of excess or insincerity. This usage is etymologically justified but may invite misunderstandings in contexts in which a deprecatory interpretation could be made. The sentence I offer you my most fulsome apologies may raise an eyebrow, where the use of an adjective like full or abundant would leave no room for doubt as to the sincerity of the speaker's intentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭*adele*

The "Yore grammahr suxors" thread is something of a pillar of boards.ie in its later years.

Indeed, it could even merit a gathering card.

The basic fact of the matter is this: if you're remotely literate, having to read the neanderthal scratchings of those who are substantially illiterate is irritating.

Kinda like vaginal thrush - nobody wants to think about it, but if it has your attention, you just have to scratch...
    he he he i like it

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

My mum's annoyances that's she's just conveyed to me are "something reaching a crescendo" this is not possible as a crescendo is a gradual increase in the dynamic and not the loudest point itself.

The other one is people saying something is "kind of unique" or "pretty unique". Either something is unique or not.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Kinda like vaginal thrush - nobody wants to think about it, but if it has your attention, you just have to scratch...
    *adele* wrote:
    he he he i like it
    :eek: suppose if that's what rocks your boat..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Moved from AH

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

A little OT so sorry, but one phrase I find a bit contradictory is: so and so "has had a meteoric rise". Are meteors not on a downward journey?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

A little OT so sorry, but one phrase I find a bit contradictory is: so and so "has had a meteoric rise". Are meteors not on a downward journey?
    [einstein]It all depends on your viewpoint, dunnit?[/einstein]

Way to kill a thread, Seamus :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

[einstein]It all depends on your viewpoint, dunnit?[/einstein]

I realised that the second I submitted my post :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=2644132#post2644132
    Dingatron wrote:
    Me too. Too many matches. I'm as common as muck! Time to change my name by depot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Frankie Smith

apparently is misused all the time when thing maybe allegedly would be better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

Quite & quite

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Frankie Smith

quit and quite and quiet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 hazimel

Sociopath.

Correct definition: Someone who has markedly antisocial behaviour.
    Misused definition: Someone who acts like an extremist socialite.

I used to imagine a sociopath as being someone who moved from one person to another, to another - all as part of a psychological condition where they craved attention.

Advertisement