Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Question for all Karate-ka

• 16-04-2005 8:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 94 ✭✭

I practised karate for a number of years as a kid but gave it up when my teenage years and apathy kicked in. I had reached 1st brown belt (3 kyu) in shotokan with SKI at that stage. Now, 9 years later, I want to take it up again.

Should I/can I start off as a beginner again? or should I continue on as a 3kyu? I guess my question is how long does it take for your gradings in past to become obsolete (either in practical or official terms). Any opinions welcomed!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

sean_0 wrote:
    Should I/can I start off as a beginner again? or should I continue on as a 3kyu? I guess my question is how long does it take for your gradings in past to become obsolete (either in practical or official terms). Any opinions welcomed!!

After nine yeras out, I'd say you should start from the beginning again. But everyone's different, so best thing to do would be to go along to a class and see what the instructor thinks. If your lethal skillz have stayed with you somewhat over the years, you'll probably be advanced through the grades quicker than usual, or you might be able to take a higher rank grading for your first grading with the club. Probably best to find an SKI club so you won't have to relearn things a different way.

Dan grades are generally kept over time regardless of practical ability, much like college degrees. Kyu grades usually aren't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭pma-ire

After 9 years the SKI probably don't think the same anymore :rolleyes:

Just have a go and see what happens ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 thebuyer

Why not look around and see if theres a different type of karate or m.a you'd like to try.
    9 years is a long time and you might find it eaiser psychologically to be a good beginner at something new than a poor returner to something you might be viewing through rose tinted glasses...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭memphis

Can't speak for the Karate folks, but being a TKD student, I know that persons who fall out of training for whatever reasons for such a long period, generally have to start from scratch again, but when one has the knowledge its likely your run through the grades faster. Double grading is not uncomman in TKD, but you need to be of a high standard to do so!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 94 ✭✭sean_0

thebuyer wrote:
    .... you might find it eaiser psychologically to be a good beginner at something new than a poor returner to something you might be viewing through rose tinted glasses...

I've been back for a few classes now in Shotokan (but not SKI), and I've come to the decision to start as a beginner again. Though I haven't forgotten everything (Kata for example), my basics are far from brown belt standard, so I think it's best to learn from the start again.
    thebuyer wrote:
    Why not look around and see if theres a different type of karate or m.a you'd like to try.

As regards other m.a., I'm pretty happy with Karate, I think it suits my mentality and my body shape and size better than other martial arts I've tried. Also, the dojo I'm going to is practically next door which shouldn't be important, but I know from past experience that it's difficult to motivate yourself to walk 20 mins in the pouring rain to get beaten up. I think it might help to maintain my interest beyond the beginner stage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭pma-ire

sean_0 wrote:
    I've been back for a few classes now in Shotokan (but not SKI), and I've come to the decision to start as a beginner again. Though I haven't forgotten everything (Kata for example), my basics are far from brown belt standard, so I think it's best to learn from the start again.

As regards other m.a., I'm pretty happy with Karate, I think it suits my mentality and my body shape and size better than other martial arts I've tried. Also, the dojo I'm going to is practically next door which shouldn't be important, but I know from past experience that it's difficult to motivate yourself to walk 20 mins in the pouring rain to get beaten up. I think it might help to maintain my interest beyond the beginner stage.

Have fun! And keep us posted on how you get on ;)

good for you pma-ire, I was just trying to give a different slant on the situation.
    Dont underestimate the importance of location.It's an accepted fact that a higher percentage of people who travel further to gyms drop out than those who live nearer.
    Enjoy the training.

forgive an old techno-fool pma-ire, that last one was meant for seano..

Advertisement