Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sliochts

Options
  • 16-04-2005 10:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭

Do the Irish oral examiners tell you which passage they want you to read or do they let you choose? I'm first thing on monday morning for the Irish Orals in my school. I'm spearheading the whole thing for my year so I've no clue as to what the examiners are like. I'm f00ked. Anyone any advice for reading the Sliochts? Its what I usualy screw up completely on.

Comments

You choose 5 and they pick 1 for you to read.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭p~b

they tell you which one to read, and if your first in on monday morning you'll be fine as they'll be gettin all the tapes and stuff ready when you reading the passage so they won't be paying attention if you make a few mistakes

p~b wrote:
    they tell you which one to read, and if your first in on monday morning you'll be fine as they'll be gettin all the tapes and stuff ready when you reading the passage so they won't be paying attention if you make a few mistakes

Really?! I think they'd be very strict on him coz they'll have nothing to compare it with. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Only Human

Kenny007 wrote:
    Really?! I think they'd be very strict on him coz they'll have nothing to compare it with. :rolleyes:
    Oh Jesus. :eek:

Well, I'm on Monday too..........but I'm not first. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 jo_u_know

My school had our orals last wed, thurs +fri...wit d sliochts some people were allowed choose r they chose...but other than dat d oral was so simple...i'm not kiddin! Wen i wen in there i was so nervous but then i said to myself wat d hell...i've only one chance at it so i wen for it n it was fine!

Best of luck to everyone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 damo dempsey

as soon as you sit down, you should hand your examiner a piece of paper with your list of 5 sliochts. they will then tell you what sliocht you have to read, and then will give you a minute or so to read over it (quite handy,as it means you can prepare it and get comfortable,and it's one less minute you'll have to talk!)
    good luck, and its really not that bad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭sci0x

We had two Irish examiners in our school one mon-wed and the other thurs and fri. I had they guy from Mon-Wed. I had to read Sliocht 3 which was fine. The woman who came Thurs and Fri let you read whichever slioct you wanted if you asked. She also made hand signals to say weather to she was wanted an answer in the future tense or past. Id say she only done this for ppl who more than likely would have failed the xam otherwise though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭<Jonny>

I was lucky. He let me read sliocht 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

<Jonny> wrote:
    I was lucky. He let me read sliocht 1.
    lucky slíocht 1 is as easy as reading 3year old english

i got slíocht 4 bit tougher but i was happy with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭*Angel*

as soon as you sit down, you should hand your examiner a piece of paper with your list of 5 sliochts. they will then tell you what sliocht you have to read, and then will give you a minute or so to read over it (quite handy,as it means you can prepare it and get comfortable,and it's one less minute you'll have to talk!)
    good luck, and its really not that bad

I was told to just tell the examiner what sliochts I learnt. Do they tell you have a minute to look over the sliocht or did you just decide that?

Yeah they tell you have a minute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭hum

i had mine last wednesday and i went first, i thought the same thing going in but then it wasnt that bad, i too got sliocht 1 and the second person got sliocht 2 etc etc, it was abit weird.
    as for going in first its not really a big deal, because your first the examiner wont have heard anyone else so she will ask you all the basics and then progress to the harder stuff, where as if you where 25 she would be kinda bored and might just decide to ask you really harder stuff. you can use it to your advantage, really you can! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Shyster

Apparantly examiners aren't 'allowed' to do the sliochts in order. Like when the first person in gets sliocht 1, the second person in isnt allowed to do sliocht 2. Dont know how true that is though.
    Technically it shouldnt get you any extra marks, but if you're friendly and smiling etc it helps alot....did for us anyway!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Just remember that you can bring in your own copy of the sliochts and you can write all over them if you want. Underline or highlight all the urus and h's so that you'll remember them, and if anything over-emphasise them. Consciously try to slow down your reading because if you're nervous you'll more than likely read them really fast and be more likely to make mistakes. Also, try not to read it in a monotone!! I'd say you'll be fine though, so don't worry about it. Being first is good because they're fresh and not sick of marking yet - they'll be so blah by the end of the week. It'll go way faster than you think, you won't even notice the time going by

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭*Angel*

Shyster wrote:
    Technically it shouldnt get you any extra marks, but if you're friendly and smiling etc it helps alot....did for us anyway!

Well there are marks for communication, so that's the above covered. I don't think that should be the case though, it's meant to be testing our language not our people skills (I'm initially shy) feel free to argue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Shyster

I agree, it should be just on our language skills. But if you think about it when someone speaks monotonously (?!) in their oral, and then someone who is bubbly comes in and says the exact same thing, the examiner is more drawn to the second person. Don't really think its fair but its only natural to get bored of someone drawing out what they're saying.

How shy you are and wheather or not you kept eye contact with the examiner does not come across on the tape so surely these things cant come into account in your overall mark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Only Human

sci0x wrote:
    How shy you are and wheather or not you kept eye contact with the examiner does not come across on the tape so surely these things cant come into account in your overall mark.
    Well that was easy. I was asked on Sliocht 7 which took up about five minutes. What made it even easier was that the examiner was hot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭mickomack

sci0x wrote:

Of course they can because you are marked the second you go out of the room,Your tape may never be heard again(unless you get a recheck)as there are 4 tapes for each centre and only 4 are taken as a sample. At marking conferences for orals teachers are told to pay particular attention to eye contact in relation to communication marks

• Advertisement

sci0x wrote:
    Well the examiner is marking you there and then. they only use the tape if you want a re-check in September

I actually only have sliocts 1 - 5 being from the Munster dialect. And thankfully, coz i find anything beyond that hard enough to read. 12 looks like a bitch!

Ah, sliochts 1-5 are from the Munster dialect? Suddenly it makes sense to me why they used funny phrases I hadn't heard before like bhíos and chuireas. 11-15 look impossible! I'm doing numbers 1, 7, 8, 9 and 10. I hope I get 8, 9 or 10 cos they're the easiest, though 9 is a bit long

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

my teacher is lazy and is just doing 1-6. She thinks we have to learn 6, not 5. But whatever! This was what happened last year in my school---->Our examiner has their own copies of the sliochts. They ask you what ones you have done and they then put those ones upside down and make you pick one randomly. So im told

Fishie wrote:
    Ah, sliochts 1-5 are from the Munster dialect? Suddenly it makes sense to me why they used funny phrases I hadn't heard before like bhíos and chuireas. 11-15 look impossible! I'm doing numbers 1, 7, 8, 9 and 10. I hope I get 8, 9 or 10 cos they're the easiest, though 9 is a bit long
    yeah "Bhíos lán dáirire agus tusa ... an bhaisteach mall ag titim"
    "Cuireas am amú leatsa a Bhreadáin, anthním anios tú"

Its werid how after glancing over them so many times they get stuck in your head!

sci0x wrote:
    Its werid how after glancing over them so many times they get stuck in your head!
    I know - I'll be so glad to have the oral over with and never have to look at them again! I was so delighted to throw out my roleplays from Spanish. What part of Kerry are you from? My boyfriend lives in Killarney, I really like it there but I find some of the accents of the older people a bit hard to understand (they speak so FAST!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

had my oral last friday...i got number4...twas gr8!
    we did sliochts 1,2,4,10,11. he had a list of the ones that we were doing and he picked.

was weird coz i had a match that night and i swear all that was goin thru my head was words from each of my sliochts!lol!!

had german oral today..

let the burning of the oral sliochts,rolecards and pictures commence!lol! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

Fast_Mover wrote:
    let the burning of the oral sliochts,rolecards and pictures commence!lol! :D

I was thinkin the very same thing and was delighted it was all over that was until somebody said what if you have to repeat!
    i didnt feel so good after that......CRAPFORK!!!

Theres no way im repeating. Im 19 today, if i repeated id be 20 doing my LC!! Burning has commenced.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

happy belated birthday! aw 19 on the 19th!

ya good point with the repeating thing...i so will be repeating, im still young sure, still 17..

Advertisement