Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Sexist Car insurance Industry

Options
  • 17-04-2005 12:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭

I am going to college next oct. and I am planning in driving in and out every day. I will need to be driving in the summer so I was just searching around there on the internet for insurance companies.

Came across Quinn Direct. http://www.quinn-secure.com
    Right - I enter all my details, what car i would probably be driving. A rover 400 1.3l. Quotes me €3200 at the end, quite a lot...but then I got an idea, how about I do exactly the same again only this time pretend i'm female and change my name to Mary O' Connor instead. My final quote then is €1700
    I think this is bloody rediclous, i'm angry at the moment.
    I would love to see the matimatical formula for that quote system.

Now-a-days girls are driving just as fast and carlessly as boys. I'm sorry but its turning totally that way, that girls are just as bad as boys.
    I don't want to start a sexist argument here with girls but infernous if it was the other way around, if the girl was quoted 3200 and boy 1700, then there would be almight up roar.

When is this going to change could anybody tell me?

By the way can someone let me know what they think best motor insurance companies are? Quinn Direct allow you to pay in installments, which is handy, any other companies do this, and do it more than 10 installments?

Thanks.

Webmonkey

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

Well as far as I know insurance companies use statistics among other things to make up their quotes.. and statistics show that young males have more accidents than young females.. so they can't just give everyone the same quote.. it wouldn't make sense.. if you were an insurance company, would you give the same quote for house insurance to a 300 year old house built on the edge of an eroding cliff, and a new house in a quiet suburb? No.. insurance doesn't work like that..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Yeah good point there. God damn speeders out there driving up the nice safe drivers quotes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

Might I suggest Britton Insurance ?

Whilst it is always going to be the case that young men will pay higher premiums than young women, Britton Insurances quotes have been consistently lower than anywhere else for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭de5p0i1er

Webmonkey wrote:
    Quinn Direct allow you to pay in installments, which is handy, any other companies do this, and do it more than 10 installments?

Thanks.

Webmonkey
    A friend of mine pays them through installments and they charged him €600 extra for the year so be careful of hidden charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Repli wrote:
    Well as far as I know insurance companies use statistics among other things to make up their quotes.. and statistics show that young males have more accidents than young females.. so they can't just give everyone the same quote.. it wouldn't make sense.. ..

They do in other countries. In Germany everyone starts off on roughly the same low rate and how you perform (claims, points etc) determine whether your premiums drop or rise. It's individual rather than Genden specific. Insurance companys could'nt care less whether they are insuring an 18 male or female, but they know that they can charge a male more so they do, simple as.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Yeah, the whole thing seems a bit random - maybe young males get into more crashes but could they not split it up further and take issues such as educational level/job/geographical location/type of driving education received etc into consideration and see if there's some pattern as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

they do but it doesn't have as big an impact as sex. If your a student, you will generally pay more! If you live in the city you will pay more.

It is a disgrace the differences based on sex, but even if you ignore those differences, the prices everyone pay are brutal as well. Oh its all about Ireland and its claim culture and massive court fees, yet they are still making millions, it is estimated that their profits have increased dramatically over the last 5 years according to nearly every report you see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

be very wary if paying by direct debit with quinn direct , they have a reputation for being complete basta*ds to people paying by direct debit .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭ExOffender

I know a guy who's 23/24, six years claim-free driving, five on a full license. His insurance in Ireland is 1,000+ euros. In England, with the same company it's around 7-800. There's more to this than it seems.
    But yes, women are statistically safer drivers than men. This is the industry that means shoplifters keep your home insurance premiums down, though, so expect a little mind-****ery...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

Using sex to determine the insurence rate is just basically wrong and should not be allowed. More men actually drive as a carrear yet this is not balanced out in the figures. Men also tend to spend longer on the roads while driving. If other things were balanced out based on sex there would be an outcry. Health insurance for example would be more expensive for woman as they tend to go to the doctor more often and live longer requiring more medical attention as a result. How about higher pension contributions for woman because they live longer an need a bigger pension fund! If there is going to be sexism in the insurance rates lets make it equal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

What's the story with black/african drivers? Do statistics based on their ethnic origin apply to them also?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭The General

I don't want to start a sexist argument here with girls but infernous

You cant spell properly thats why they quoted you so much!

I checked out quinn as well and they quoted me 2900(fully comp) on a fiat punto1.2 but im getting it this summer for 1500(and that includes my mothers insurance as well)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

I dont understand why you went to the bother of quoting my bad spellings but where you get quoted for 1500.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

Young males don't actually get in more accidents than young females, they are roughly the same. But the average claim where young male drivers are involved are serveal times bigger. Until this changes, men will continue to pay more.
    Gideon wrote:
    If you live in the city you will pay more.
    Not necessarily. Each county is grouped according to accident statistics. Someone living in Longford pays more than someone living in Dublin, who pays more than someone living in Wexford.
    More men actually drive as a carrear yet this is not balanced out in the figures. Men also tend to spend longer on the roads while driving
    I don't see why that means they should pay less. The more time you spend on the road, the more likely you are to get in an accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

THere was an article in the sun the other day. A guy sued an insurance company on sexual discrimination grounds after they quoted him for nearly E6000. Owned a clean drivers liscence and a bike. He not only won in the end but forced them to give him insurance for FREE. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

MrPinK wrote:

I don't see why that means they should pay less. The more time you spend on the road, the more likely you are to get in an accident.

I never said it should be cheaper. I was pointing out that it isn't considered one way or the other when it would effect the figures. More men drive for a living spending longer on the roads=more men will be in accidents. We agree on the point but you missed my meaning

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

im 19 driving 2 years 1 and half on full liscense and they basically laughed when i wanted to be quoted on a 1.4 astra :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

The insurance industry is the only one legally allowed to discriminate against you. Favouritism indeed!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

you should get a better quote from Hibernian, provided you do their ignition scheme.

saved about 2k changing from a 1.4 to 1.6, TPFT to fully comp from quinn to hibernian.

you can pay in installments with them, but you will pay interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

The probability of a male being involved in an accident is significantly higher than the probability of a female being in an accident.

Hence, insurance companies have to protect themselves against people claiming.

When calculating a premium, they have to take into account expenses, the cost of a claim occuring, the benefit if a claim happens, etc. If they calculate too low a premium, and they get a load of male drivers in accidents, they'll lose money.

I know that nowadays, females may / may not be worse drivers, but those are the statistics that they have, and they will continue to work with those, until whenever.

It's exactly the same as life assurance is for smokers / non-smokers. Bigger premium for smokers, smaller for non-smokers because the mortality of a smoker is higher than that of a non-smoker.

Yes, the insurance industry does suck :)

• Advertisement

Webmonkey wrote:
    I dont understand why you went to the bother of quoting my bad spellings but where you get quoted for 1500.

:)

about the spelling i was just having a laugh, FBD is insurance company

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Using sex to determine the insurence rate is just basically wrong and should not be allowed. More men actually drive as a carrear yet this is not balanced out in the figures. Men also tend to spend longer on the roads while driving. If other things were balanced out based on sex there would be an outcry. Health insurance for example would be more expensive for woman as they tend to go to the doctor more often and live longer requiring more medical attention as a result. How about higher pension contributions for woman because they live longer an need a bigger pension fund! If there is going to be sexism in the insurance rates lets make it equal.

Ok- so young men tend to be involved in a higher proportion of accidents that result in insurance claims than do young women in a similar age profile (note- "that result in insurance claims"- women were involved in 17% more accidents notified to Hibernian last year than men, however a much higher number of the accidents females are in tend to be more minor in nature).

That is why young men pay more insurance than women in the same age group.

Why do women not pay higher life assurance / health insurance / pensions premia- because (as I was told by a member of the ICTU) "any man who so much as suggest the same principle apply would be ridiculed for being a sexist pig, irrespective of the fact that women live on average 4.5 years longer than men- one result of this being they also tend to be a much larger portion of the elderly people in hospital requiring long term assistance/healthcare. In addition, a much higher proportion of women in all age groups than men smoke.....

While on the subject of healthcare- risk equalisation means all young healthy people with health insurance pay exactly the same amount as much more acturarialy risky older patients, who are a lot more likely to result in claims, irrespective of whether they are male or female. If fairness were applied in this case- it would cost peanuts to insure someone under 50 who did not smoke and only drank in moderation- while anyone over 50 would be slaughtered (and god help them if they smoke).....

Why is this? Because for a woman to fight for her rights is seen as a noble and worthwhile endeavor and society applauds her. When a man attempts to fight for similar rights he is a sexist pig and his reputation is mud.......

I, for one, agree young males should definitively pay more car insurance- as we are at greater risk of being involved in more dangerous accidents. However, I would also argue, in the interests of equality, that women should pay greater pension contributions, in reflection of the fact that they live longer than men. As for young people having their relative health risks assessed when calculating health insurance- if we had a society where children took charge of their parents in old age- it might be possible- instead we have our hospitals clogged up with the elderly because their children have no interest in organising care for them themselves. Its a case of "not my problem, the state should take care"......

Whole lot is a fecking mess.....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

tinkerbell wrote:
    The probability of a male being involved in an accident is significantly higher than the probability of a female being in an accident.

No, the probability of a male being involved in an accident resulting in a claim is significantly higher than the probability of a female in an accident resulting in a claim against her. Two totally seperate things....... Insurance companies measure their relative exposure to a potential situation- not the liklihood of the said situation occuring........

Last year women were involved in 17% more accidents notified to Hibernian than were men (however the accidents the men were in, resulted in much higher claims)........

There is a difference......

kill all the women

Yah sorry, I meant in regards to claims from accidents. I'm tired this evening :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Nasty_Girl

Ok did anyone else but me hear about this,
    Insurance companies upping the prices women pay so they're the same as mens...? It supposed to happen in the next few years.

Can't remember where I heard it though ...Maybe I dreamed it.

No, I thought that was suggested, but they rubbished it then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Nasty_Girl

Oh right,
    Good to know I didn't imagine it all then

Would be a solution though

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

It's all boolix and has nothing to do with statistics. It's purely because they get away with it. The same insurance companies are operating in other countries in a totally different way. They are able to operate an individual system elswhere, so why not here.

It's done on a personal levlel elswhere . ie you start off at your normal low rate, and the only thing that affects your premium from year to year is YOU, and YOUR driving, not what other people inyour age/sex bracket do.

I hardly think Ireland is an exception to every other country in the world with regard to young male drivers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭OLP

men drive more than women, therfore they get in more crashes, 'cause theres more opportunity

Advertisement