Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Special Thanks to Educat

• 17-04-2005 1:43am
    Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Last week was ISL awareness week. Very special thanks to Educat, Who attended the ISL parage last week. One of Very few hearing people who Attended.

There is a full Article in the Latest Student record. I'd Fully edorse the time to read it!

Without him, the CDS would never get any infomation whatso Ever.

Lets hope our Next education officer will have the outstanding courage and strengh to Surpport Trinity's Newest department.

(if anyone needs Infomation, on ISL or on Centre for deaf studies, pm me!

Joe

(p.s. Dathai, we need more papers.)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,197 ✭✭✭✭Crash

...I wasnt aware tbh.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Few people were

Lets hope our Next education officer will have the outstanding courage and strength to Support Trinity's Newest department.

Well I was there, with Daithí and Ross.

http://www.maths.tcd.ie/~donalmcc/pics/2005-04-10%20-%20ISL%20March/

Was fascinating to see really since I hadn't really been exposed to ISL, bar SU Council. The Irish Deaf Choir was just incredible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭xeduCat

Unnecessary complement, but thanks anyway!

Just in case anyone gives me credit above my station - ISL awareness week wasn't anything to do with me! The Irish Deaf Society was behind it all. We just participated in the main event (the march last Sunday) in support, and it was a fabulous event. But organising it was not my role ;)

Correction though to my Record article - names got mixed up and I called Alan Smyth (first year ISL teaching) Walsh. Sorry!

The ISL at Council meetings thing has gone really well. As well as including those who are deaf, it also gave 2nd year interpreters a slightly more interesting work placement than usual! Pat Matthews from the Centre also did a lunchtime thing in the last term which drew a nice crowd (he's probably one of agent_smith's lecturers..)

Mr. Myth will be more than able to take up the baton (see above). And he'll have the deadly CDS class reps keeping an eye on him, who put most of the college to shame with the effort they put in.

(Papers will be with you on Monday)

Indeed He does! he's my tutor for Perspectives of Deafness.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Last week was ISL awareness week. Very special thanks to Educat, Who attended the ISL parage last week. One of Very few hearing people who Attended.

There is a full Article in the Latest Student record. I'd Fully edorse the time to read it!

Without him, the CDS would never get any infomation whatso Ever.

Lets hope our Next education officer will have the outstanding courage and strengh to Surpport Trinity's Newest department.

Lets not pretend this Deaf week/Green week/ Rag week/ wahtever week, matters to anybody.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭foxybrowne

yes lets, rather

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

Boston wrote:
    Lets not pretend this Deaf week/Green week/ Rag week/ wahtever week, matters to anybody.
    Lets not be so unnecessarily curt.

You're starting to sound like kev..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭foxybrowne

I really enjoyed Green Week this year, I went on that tree walk where they talked you through all the different trees in college.

Again, for the benefit of cynics, and in particular those who believe that everything the SU touches turns to dust, the ISL awareness week was nothing to do with the Students' Union, nothing do with student activities generally, and nothing to do with Trinity. So slating it on that basis is just silly. It was nothing like a college Green Week or an SU campaign - it was something in the wider world (you know, outside the campus), and shouldn't be lumped in with student or SU activities (which, as everyone knows, are stupid, wasteful, stuffed with hacks, pointless, meaningless, and everything else that I've heard before).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

Heheh when I saw the college green week banner over the lincoln entrance, the first thing I thought was: "why are they having a week devoted to college green?"

/me smacks himself with a wet fish

You mean the plastic and non-reusable (it had a year on it) Green Week banner?

Life is full of little ironies. I nearly issued a dyslexia leaflet with three misspellings in it in the first term.

ApeXaviour wrote:
    Lets not be so unnecessarily curt.

You're starting to sound like kev..

That hurts, it really does.
    EduCat wrote:
    student or SU activities (which, as everyone knows, are stupid, wasteful, stuffed with hacks, pointless, meaningless, and everything else that I've heard before).

But it's true, what use are any of these events; How can they raise awareness when most people don't know they are happening.
    courage and strengh to Surpport Trinity's Newest department.

Since when does it require Courage or strenght to give token support to something. It's not like there's ever going to be negative results from supporting the deaf.

Well, first of all, no, there's no courage/strength required, smith went too far in being nice about me. Glad to have you to bring things back down to earth ;)

In terms of so-called 'token' support, though, that's just silly. Not being a student in Drumcondra, you have no idea whether I'm doing any work or not! Furthermore, the student population of the CDS is mixed Deaf and hearing, so it's not a case of purely supporting 'the deaf'. There's a variety of issues associated with non-D2 bits of Trinity. Which I like to think that I'm doing alright at - but it's up to CDS students to call me on it if I'm falling down, not anyone else.

And yeah, you're right about college awareness things (although as I said the IDS's campaign wasn't a college one). However all I can say is that an awareness campaign that reaches a few isn't an utter failure - it's a start. E.g. if ten students get the help they need due to an awareness campaign, that's only noticed by a quarter of the college, then yes, it's worth every bit of effort that's put into it, right?

Or maybe I'm just suffering from the disease of positive thinking.

EduCat wrote:
    Well, first of all, no, there's no courage/strength required, smith went too far in being nice about me. Glad to have you to bring things back down to earth ;)

I give credit when it due, I've seen people with the strength and courage of their convictions, and put their neck o nthe line for something they believe in. This is not a case of that.

In terms of so-called 'token' support, though, that's just silly. Not being a student in Drumcondra, you have no idea whether I'm doing any work or not! Furthermore, the student population of the CDS is mixed Deaf and hearing, so it's not a case of purely supporting 'the deaf'. There's a variety of issues associated with non-D2 bits of Trinity. Which I like to think that I'm doing alright at - but it's up to CDS students to call me on it if I'm falling down, not anyone else.

How your turning it into an issue of how well you do your job and non-campus departments. It isn't, attending an event and getting an article in a campus paper are token efforts. I'm not commenting on anything else you may or may not have done.
    And yeah, you're right about college awareness things (although as I said the IDS's campaign wasn't a college one). However all I can say is that an awareness campaign that reaches a few isn't an utter failure - it's a start. E.g. if ten students get the help they need due to an awareness campaign, that's only noticed by a quarter of the college, then yes, it's worth every bit of effort that's put into it, right?

A quarter of the college? Your pushing it. Most of these events are only noticed by the people who already have an interest. Maybe I'm just ****ing jaded because I know how little the college gives a **** about the general student. Where a inconvience to tourist revenue in the front square area, and our opinions don't mean ****.
    Or maybe I'm just suffering from the disease of positive thinking.

Yea I hear that's fatal.

EduCat wrote:

Not being a student in Drumcondra, you have no idea whether I'm doing any work or not! Furthermore, the student population of the CDS is mixed Deaf and hearing, so it's not a case of purely supporting 'the deaf'.

secretly, We all Know That The CDS's Final Plan is to take over trinity, Then the world.....

pm me if you want in

Advertisement