Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Final Fantasy XI, the game of games...

Options
  • 17-04-2005 6:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭

First of all...

I am so glad there is finally a Final fantasy board on boards.ie. Thank you (so very much) to all who have made this possible. We appreciate your efforts.

I spent Transition year playing FF8 (sorry, but I still think it was a great game), the following year watching my 2 best friends play FF9. Then came number 10, and IMO, it was one of the greatest stories, not just in FF history, not just in computer game history, but one of the greatest stories ever put to paper, full stop. I loved it!

But, about a year before I played FFX, one of my closest friends, showed me early screen shots of FFXI and told me, it was online only. I remember the exact converstaion. He told me it was about collecting flags, or something along those lines. I WAS NOT IMNPRESSED! I believed this crapped apon the good, flawless legacy of the final fantasy series. How wrong was I?

A close friend of mine, and member of these boards, who I am sure will reveal himself soon enough, bought the game out of shere couriosity. At first I thought he was mad venturing into the online world of MMORPGs. But once again, how wrong I was!

I will admit, I cannot play the game at present due to online situations and payment methods beyond my control (but hopefully, soon all that will be rectified). But, there is no notion that appeals to me more then running around the world of Vana'diel as a summoner.

I have taken a deep (unhealthy:) ) intrest in the game. I have explored numerious websites, FAQs and forums, learning all I can about the game. And obviously, I have played many hours of FFXI on my friends account. I love this game. It is all I ever looked for in a computer game, and as some one who has studdied games on a professional level, I have to say, it is the most enjoyable game I have ever played. I am a full blown nerd, and proud of it!

And what is the point of this rant I hear you cry?

I am posting this to find Irelands small FFXI community. Please, now that we have a FF board, let us make the best use of it, and explore the world of Vana' diel, together.

Post here to find us fellow Vana' diel citizens.

Thanks for reading

Hanza

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

I have it but havent opened it yet. Exams in the way. I'll be starting in the summer so I'll let ya know ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭The Free Man

if only i had a credit card my friend.
    im dying to play that game!! :( was i right in hearing that instead of paying for mmorpgs by credit card, they're gonna have some sort of 'scratch card' system?
    that would blow the mmo market wide open im sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Same here. Got the game installed but don't have the credit card! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Niall - Dahlia

was i right in hearing that instead of paying for mmorpgs by credit card, they're gonna have some sort of 'scratch card' system?
    that would blow the mmo market wide open im sure.

Yeah that's right, in America they have this system, much like buying credit for your phone. And you're right, it would make MMORPG's much more accessible and popular...and piss off many parents worldwide at the same time... :D

After exams I'll be getting stuck into Guild Wars, it'll be the first MMORPG I'll have played. You buy the game and that's it, no need to pay a monthly subscription, just get online and play. If FFXI was the same I'd definitely play it, but as it stands it just doesn't interest me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Stalfos

I also have the game but cant play it for lack of a credit card.

I tried to get the play online credit card (epassporte) and use it to play the game but it was rejected cause of some load fee thing and i gave up.

Seems like a great game, would love to play it someday

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,888 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

that Guild Wars looks very promising and a free mmorpg at that, I may well buy the game as soon as it comes out but with all the time I spend on Final Fantasy XI I doubt there will be much time to play the both of them:)

For mmorpg's in general I would like to see several sytems in place for paying the monthly fee's rather than just the credit card method as nearly everyone I know wants to play Final Fantasy XI or another mmorpg but cant coz of the lack of credit card or broadband, very annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭rcunning03

Are there any Irish linkshells on the pheonix server

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

What exactly is the story with paying to play on-line? How much is it, etc....
    Also is there anyway to play without internet access, just on your machine? As having a game where you've to pay extra to play on line (where in our little part of the world most people don't yet have broadband and so would have to pay out per minute on-line) and can't lay any other way seems a bit steep.

farohar wrote:
    Also is there anyway to play without internet access, just on your machine? As having a game where you've to pay extra to play on line (where in our little part of the world most people don't yet have broadband and so would have to pay out per minute on-line) and can't lay any other way seems a bit steep.

$12.95 a month, there is a virtual visa payment available if you don't have a credit card, no point playing it without broadband, have a look into satellite broadband, I think I saw eircom advertising it, but I know there is a cheap one, check out the broadband forum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Hanza

There are no Irish linkshells... on Hades anyway...

Ive been hooked on the game, with fellow Vana'diel adventure Gonzo (posted above) and I think I might write a boards.ie beginners to the game. Cos it took the 2 of us about 3 weeks to understand what the hell was going on.

And I am still discovering stuff. Like today, I found out you can get married in the game.
    SUPER NERD SHIZNID!
    I love it...

There are lots of beginners guides, but they are still written like you have to have a keen understanding of how the game works, and it really isnt that simple. BUt well worth a read of some nerds/my post :)

That will gimme a good way to kill the time on tommorows bank holiday.
    If you have played the game in anyway shape or form, this , is your life saver:

Enjoy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Hanza wrote:
    There are no Irish linkshells... on Hades anyway...

Ive been hooked on the game, with fellow Vana'diel adventure Gonzo (posted above) and I think I might write a boards.ie beginners to the game. Cos it took the 2 of us about 3 weeks to understand what the hell was going on.

And I am still discovering stuff. Like today, I found out you can get married in the game.
    SUPER NERD SHIZNID!
    I love it...

There are lots of beginners guides, but they are still written like you have to have a keen understanding of how the game works, and it really isnt that simple. BUt well worth a read of some nerds/my post :)

That will gimme a good way to kill the time on tommorows bank holiday.
    If you have played the game in anyway shape or form, this , is your life saver:

Enjoy!
    Yups, that 404 error saved my life!

Thank you kind sir!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,888 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Einst&#252 wrote: »
    Yups, that 404 error saved my life!

Thank you kind sir!

http://ffxi.allakhazam.com
    thats the site he was on about

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Kio

looks good but me need credit card < :rolleyes: > and i cant find the game any where where can i get it? dose any body
    know?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

farohar wrote:

You can afford broadband with your nice well-paying job. :p

FFXI is designed to be an online game. If you don't want to pay and play then you'll have to wait a little while for FFXII.

Personally I was disgusted when I heard it was going to be an online game. I saw it though and though it looked interesting. If I get a job (for the summer/other) I'll get a copy and play till my heart's content. I'm not a huge fan of pay and play (especially after buying the game for the same price as a non-pay-as-you-go game) but such is the world we live in. *shrugs*

Kio wrote:
    looks good but me need credit card < :rolleyes: > and i cant find the game any where where can i get it? dose any body
    know?

Play.com have it. When you've a credit card sorted jump on there and grab a copy. It's dropped in price a hell of a lot since I last saw it which is pretty cool.

Do we get to pay in dollars? (For the monthly fee) That'd be just over 10 euro in that case. Nice and fluctuateful too, come on euro - kick some dollar ass. :p

halenger wrote:
    Play.com have it. When you've a credit card sorted jump on there and grab a copy. It's dropped in price a hell of a lot since I last saw it which is pretty cool.

Do we get to pay in dollars? (For the monthly fee) That'd be just over 10 euro in that case. Nice and fluctuateful too, come on euro - kick some dollar ass. :p

I also saw it in game on henry street, yes the subscription fee is dollars

If you want it quick and cheep, and dont mind buying second hand games, Game Xchange on Talbot street.

Liffey Valley Shoping centre, GAME

Virgin in the pavilion in Swords.

There the places Ive seen it reciently...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Saw it dirt cheap in GAME on Henry Street with Chains of Promethia... something like 30 or 40 Euro... now im tempted

23.99 on play.com. ;) That comes with 1 month free also, as far as I'm aware. (Please correct me if I'm wrong on that.) You wont get that with the second hand ones so add 10 Euro (or so) to those prices.

Remember the Play Online charges.

You still need a credit card number to still avail of the free month.

I know people will complain about paying money after you have already piad for a game but at US$10.99 a month, its nothing.

Thats less then 31 cent a day. (30.0013 cent) Think about it?

Give FFXI a week and see what you think, you will be addicted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Stalfos

You also need a credit card to have a credit card number or you could try this https://www.epassporte.com/secure/finalfantasy.cgi
    It's called Epassport (electronic passport) and it is a way of playing the game without a proper credit card. They just take money from your account each month like direct debit.

Also check out http://www.playonline.com/ff11eu/index.shtml for more on this game.

halenger wrote:
    You can afford broadband with your nice well-paying job. :p

FFXI is designed to be an online game. If you don't want to pay and play then you'll have to wait a little while for FFXII.

Personally I was disgusted when I heard it was going to be an online game. I saw it though and though it looked interesting. If I get a job (for the summer/other) I'll get a copy and play till my heart's content. I'm not a huge fan of pay and play (especially after buying the game for the same price as a non-pay-as-you-go game) but such is the world we live in. *shrugs*
    Yeah I can afford it, but paying out ~€40 a month for absolute pants (eircom's free internet is so crap I wouldn't even consider risking making any contract commitments to them regardless of how good the offer they made was) is not my idea of smart. There's only one broadband set-up I've come across which sounds like it'd suit me and they've yet to expand it out far enough for me to be able to use it. :(
    Think I might buy a copy and just keep it aside 'til the broadband situation improves, stick to playing Diablo 2 LOD and such on-line instead.

I have had my copy for the last 5 months, hasnt been opened yet, waiting for income, thus providing me with a credit card and a new internet connection.

Trust me, all my fellow patient waiters. The wait will be worth it...

Hanza wrote:
    I have had my copy for the last 5 months, hasnt been opened yet, waiting for income, thus providing me with a credit card and a new internet connection.

Trust me, all my fellow patient waiters. The wait will be worth it...
    Certainly many of the concepts make it sound like a very expansive game which would at least make it difficult to grow bored with. Do they do occasional resets like they do in so many other games, putting everyone back to square one (but keeping a log of who had the best characters) so new players are on a par with the older again?

At least I've FF7 to tide me over in the meanwhile too, though the Chochobo racing on a new laptop is just insane (under 30seconds for the entire race!!!!) and laptop keyboards are a bit more awkward for this game since you've to keep the 'FN' button pressed to use the keypad type set-up. Should probably buy a separate keyboard to deal with it but that's not that high on my list at the mo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Citizen_Erased

I hate to be antagnonistic (yep it is spelt wrong) but you buy the game then your charged to play the game? I thought that was on the way out , the likes of guild wars being free . To even quote the guildwars site - "you've bought the game so why pay to play it?" or something. I was considering this game when broadband gets to me in June but knowing that has put me right off.

https://www.3v.ie/index.cfm

This was posted on the subscribers forum. Christ this looks like the way out of credit card hell problems. HELLO FFXI! :D

(It's only on trial in Dublin at the moment but pray it becomes nationwide)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Citizen_Erased

Brilliant idea , hope it catches onto other financial instituations too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Crass

I've had the game from September and I'm still level 13. I don't plan on playing it properly untill exams are over, then I'll be playing it as much as possible.

Anyone on the Ramuh server?

Out of interest does anybody know how you get more characters for FF11. I can only create one but I want two. It says i can get an extra character if I purchase another content ID but I don't know how to get the code to aquire one. I hope I don't have to go out and buy another copy of the game. Can anyone help? :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Crass

Use the same code that you registered Final Fantasy XI with.

It'll cost you an extra $1 a month, but remember if you use a different server than what your code was assigned too (for example, all my characters go to carbuncle by default but I play on Ramuh), you will need to get a worldpass somehow.

Advertisement