Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

It's that time of the year again.

• 17-04-2005 9:05am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭

Time for the annual Viera to Real story to surface and it has in the Sundays. This is the fourth year in a row that there has been speculation that this is going to happen. Considering the season he has had I think it just may happen this time.
    Real's Vieira swoop

REAL MADRID have made another sensational approach for Arsenal skipper Patrick Vieira.

The Spanish giants have told the French midfield star they still want him — despite last summer's fiasco when Vieira (above) pulled the plug on a £30million switch at the last minute.

And Sport of the World can also reveal that Robert Pires, who scored the opener in the Gunners' 3-0 FA Cup semi-final victory over Blackburn yesterday, could also be on his way — to Inter Milan.

A Real insider revealed: "Vieira is still one of the world's great players and we need someone of his stature.

"He is without doubt a great player and it was a pity what happened last summer. Vieira should have been wearing our white shirt already."

Vieira has only one year left on his current £98,000-a-week Highbury contract and boss Arsene Wenger may be forced to accept a cut-price £15m fee for his skipper. Real president Florentino Perez will shake up his squad in the summer and Vieira, 29, is his No1 target.

Vieira had agreed to join Madrid last summer after a three-year flirtation with the Spanish giants.

Arsenal chiefs had reluctantly sanctioned the move last August but talks ended when Perez asked for a medical report on an old knee injury.

Fellow Frenchman Pires could follow Vieira out of Highbury in a £3m move to Inter after failing to agree terms over a new deal in crunch talks last week.

The wideman wants a new three-year deal to stay in North London.

But Gunners boss Wenger has offered the 31-year-old only a one-year extension to his current deal — which has 12 months to run.

Italian giants Inter want to rebuild after their Champions League exit against arch-rivals AC and have already made contact with Pires.

They will make a firm bid for the winger if he does not put pen to paper on a new contract.

Source News of the World

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Source News of the World

Enough said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭case n basket

He's 28, not 29. I wonder how accurate the rest the article is :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

He's 28, not 29. I wonder how accurate the rest the article is :p
    They also got Pires' age wrong. Jesus, are they just guessing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,655 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

The Muppet wrote:
    Time for the annual Viera to Real story to surface and it has in the Sundays. This is the fourth year in a row that there has been speculation that this is going to happen. Considering the season he has had I think it just may happen this time.
    if i were Arsenal just sell him,all he wants is more money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

normally I don't criticize bad spelling or grammer , but some of your posts are just killing me , as you seem to be unable to string a proper sentence together .

Vieira may eventually leave Arsenal now , but not to Real unless they offload some players .

I just can't see Real being the type of side to use both Graveson and Vieira at once either .

Maybe Vieira will head back to Italy , he would fit into Juve's side very nicely .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

I hope he bloody goes just end the flippin saga.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Big Ears wrote:
    I just can't see Real being the type of side to use both Graveson and Vieira at once either . .

Maybe Graveson was a stop gap till the arival of Vierira in the summer? After all they knew they needed to shore up the defensive side of their game to get anything out of this season, and would'nt get Vieira till the summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭case n basket

Big Ears wrote:
    normally I don't criticize bad spelling or grammer , but some of your posts are just killing me , as you seem to be unable to string a proper sentence together .
    You should really get your own house in order before you criticise others.

As for Vieira, I'll be very surprised if he leaves this summer. I think his big move has passed him by now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

An article, I think the News of the World, said "Robbie Keane the Rep of Ireland and Leeds United striker..." And I was like what the ****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,655 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Big Ears wrote:

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

You should really get your own house in order before you criticise others.

its not really his spelling(as you can see I make spelling mistakes myself :p ) but the leaving out key words in sentences and the way he phrases things , its just a bit annoying trying to find out what someone really means when they type things that are obviously missing words .
    :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

thats a bit easier to understand ;) .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

All this again. Well if he wasnt going to go last season i doubt he will go this summer.

Id be surprised if Reyes stayed though..Buckets of talent but he is too much of a home boy to settle in a big city like London. At least Arsenal will make there money back on him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Of course, thats why he has reportedly turned down the same move for the last three or four years.

I cant see that changing again this year unless Real bring in a new manager or have some sort of a dramatic shake up. Real are not much of a step up from Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

The only way that Vieira will go to Real is if Ronaldo, Zidane, Figo, Carlos are all sold and replaced with say Adriano, Vieira, Gerrard, Vincente, and some LB I don't know.
    :o Wonder what odds I could get on those 4 players being bought :)

p.s. I think Vieira has a decent possibility of going to some other team, like Barca or Milan or someone.

A friend of mine is absolutely convinced, like beyond any shadow of a doubt, that Gerrard is all a distraction for Chelsea, and that they are acutally buying Vieira this summer! Now that'd be funny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭sleepwalker

hes not going anywhere just like all the other times

i remember last summer sky sports were even reporting he had signed and everything, i think after that sort of turnaround hes shown hes commited to staying at arsenal as long as wenger is around

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

PHB wrote:
    The only way that Vieira will go to Real is if Ronaldo, Zidane, Figo, Carlos are all sold and replaced with say Adriano, Vieira, Gerrard, Vincente, and some LB I don't know.
    :o Wonder what odds I could get on those 4 players being bought :)

p.s. I think Vieira has a decent possibility of going to some other team, like Barca or Milan or someone.

A friend of mine is absolutely convinced, like beyond any shadow of a doubt, that Gerrard is all a distraction for Chelsea, and that they are acutally buying Vieira this summer! Now that'd be funny

He hates us (milan) because Sacci sold him after about 8 months last time he was here...

Advertisement