Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Most Depressing Film EVER!!!???

• 17-04-2005 9:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭

What's the most depressing film you've ever seen? Mine HAS to be

Henry: Portrait of a serial killer :(

I seen it as a wee boy and it scared the **** outta me!!! I saw it again a couple of months ago, it was on pretty late, it was dark etc.. When it finished i was literally in a state of depression for about a day just because of this ****ed up film! It's the darkest, most disturbing film i've ever seen tbh and i don't really wanna see it again!

What about you?

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Something like 16 Years Of Alcohol, methinks...it's like a more human version of Clockwork Orange, and it's summed up eloquently by the tag line "sometimes, for some people, things don't work out as they might have hoped".
    The lead character's past and attempt at redemption is essentially what dooms him, just as things finally started to come together for him. There's a horrible suggestion that if he had remained the same violent & unlikeable character he was to start with, he might still be alive...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Yeah that Henry movie was pretty disturbing, got it uncut on DVD a while back.

Most depressing film ever...?

Hmmm. Seeing as I haven't generally seen any films that I find personally depressing, this would be a tough one.

I saw some German Film awhile ago about a group of best friends drafted into German army at end of WW2, and while their commander tries to keep them out of action they end up in the middle of a battle for their home village and all die one by one until only one is left, walking aimlessly around the town and trying to drag one of the dead friends behind him.

That one scene was very depressing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

The Good girl or that one with Steve Buscemi sitting at the bus stop cant remember name atm.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

I saw some German Film awhile ago about a group of best friends drafted into German army at end of WW2, and while their commander tries to keep them out of action they end up in the middle of a battle for their home village and all die one by one until only one is left, walking aimlessly around the town and trying to drag one of the dead friends behind him.

Can you remember the title, by any chance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭newgrange

"They shoot horses, don't they?" is pretty grim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

Adam and Paul, its a great film but its so real and accurate there is not one dot of glamour or excitement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭bonzai bob

Adam and Paul, its a great film but its so real and accurate there is not one dot of glamour or excitement.

Worst film EVER!, switched it off after 20mins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

'Requiem For A Dream' has a pretty depressing ending.... in fact, it's practically depressing throughout!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭Blisterman

American Splendor's pretty depressing, though it is funny in parts.
    So is about Schmidt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Dancer in the Dark - even if it is unrealistic it does show how
    people get screwed by the death penalty in the USA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 546 ✭✭✭abakan

leaving las Vegas with nicholas cage zzzzzzzz
    depresses me thinking about it

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Yeah I'd nominate "Dancer in the Dark" and also "Dogville" and "Breaking the Waves" from Lars Von Triers, Mr. Happy himself. "Arlington Road" is pretty downbeat, as are "Fallen" and "Se7en".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭kinkstr

basquille wrote:
    'Requiem For A Dream' has a pretty depressing ending.... in fact, it's practically depressing throughout!

Agreed, this is one film, i will never want to look at again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

Kids
    Gummo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 678 ✭✭✭briano

'Happiness'

God that was depressing. And hard to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭acri

briano wrote:
    'Happiness'

God that was depressing. And hard to watch.

that was on last night. s'good. painful. Audition was pretty mad and bleak throughout, dunno bout depressing though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭Scratch Acid

For me it is probably 'Combat Shock' A.K.A. The only serious film ever released by Troma...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

Stalingrad...
    I was close to tears at many points in the film... you can have all those love lost and love conquering stories till the cows come home... but what happens in Stalingrad can shake some guys to the core...
    war sucks... sucks more when you are losing...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

grave of the fireflies ?
    dolls?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Leaving las vegas, schindlers list,one flew over the cuckoo's nest,philidelphia,powder,,,,, fVck just thinking about those films is depressing me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Tobias Greeshman

• About Schmidt - Worst film ever... depresesed the hell outta me.
    • Schindlers List

For me it is probably 'Combat Shock' A.K.A. The only serious film ever released by Troma...

Wow, must look into that....love troma stuff...ridiculous and offensive as it is...

Whoever asked, the movie I mentioned was called "Der Brucke" (The Bridge) but I can't seem to find it on DVD anywhere - NUIG have it in the library video section on VHS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

I'd like to jump on to the 'Requiem for a Dream' bandwagon please.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭DaDa

Will never forget the silence of everyone leaving the cinema after seeing "The Accused" with Jodie Foster.

But a good, powerful film... just very dark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Tomohawk

Watch "Les Amants du Pont-Neuf" - At the same time it's beautiful but depressing, actually mostly depressing...

Some people find "Naked" by Mike Leigh really depressing. I love finding the unpolished nuggets of black humour strewn around on the big black mound of emptiness and nihilism that is this film. "Are ya with mae?"

Some people find "Naked" by Mike Leigh really depressing

Man, I remember that film now....haven't seen it in years.....isn't that the one where some guy says "I hope I didn't give you aids, sophie" after he has sex with her? Also the part where the lead guy says to a woman "sorry, you look too much like my mother" when hes getting intimate with her?

Or something like that.....

Yes, depressing film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

has nobody seen "Saviour"?

either that or Requim for a Dream

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

"Scum" with Ray Winstone.

Horrible film

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

kinkstr wrote:
    Agreed, this is one film, i will never want to look at again

Yeah me too !!!!

• Advertisement

lets not forget Once Were Warriors

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭samo

'Seven' is one of those fims that really troubled me - felt very uneasy after seeing it, still a bit spooked by Kevin Spacey.

On a totally depressing note though, try being stuck on the Delta Airlines Atlanta - Dublin overnight flight with only Meet Joe Black to entertain you,not very pleasant :(

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Oh and can't forget "Nil By Mouth" - very very downbeat.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Das Boot

The ending was fantasic but was really depressing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭juno75

The Elephant Man with John Hurt

I watched that when I was a kid and even to think about it now makes me flub.
    And I'm rite ard me.
    Heavy :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭shacko

Angela Ashes its like a extended hovis add set in a swimming pool

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Etain

Most depressing older movie: Attack and Retreat-- it's about Italian soldiers during WWII. Most depressing newer movie: Osama-- it is so sad and upsetting,I was still thinking about this movie days later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭case n basket

Armageddon. Nooooooo! Harry!

Top Gun. Nooooooo! Goose!

Return to Paradise. Nooooooo! Joaquin Phoenix's character!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭solo1

Brazil, by Terry Gilliam. Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most. I was teary by the time the Samba band started. I challenge anyone to watch this movie, understand what's going on, and not be extremely saddened by it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 398 ✭✭reece

anything with vincent gallo in it...........he's such a moany git

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

basquille wrote:

oh yeah, this film is just unbelievable.
    I got it out on DVD one Saturday night and watched it by myself... I just was left so down after it. Couldnt sleep right and was just crap all next day.
    I've bought it and havent watched it since... can never find the right time to watch it. It really is one of those "ok, I need to pick a time to watch this" film.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

solo1 wrote:
    Brazil, by Terry Gilliam. Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most. I was teary by the time the Samba band started. I challenge anyone to watch this movie, understand what's going on, and not be extremely saddened by it.

I know what you mean about that, but to be honest I felt that this was almost like the film's challenge to the viewer : are you cynical enough to find the humour in a very bleak idea, or will you cave and see the tragedy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Das Boot

The ending was fantasic but was really depressing.

Agreed. First time I saw it was when I was about 10. I'd read the book before, so I knew what was coming, but... It was done so well, Jurgen Prochnow collapsing after 'the boat' slowly foundered. And the music just so atmospheric, really really top-notch.

Donnie Darko depressed the hell outta me I gotta say, that's why I'm never watching it again, despite how good it was.

No Man's Land is an incredibly depressing film. I won't give it away here, but the ending is just soul-destroying.

Platoon (the first time I saw it anyway), and Das Experiment would be 2 others that got to me, there's loads more but I just can't think of em...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

KdjaC wrote:
    The Good girl or that one with Steve Buscemi sitting at the bus stop cant remember name atm.

kdjac

Agreed. My gf got it out one night, the good girl that is. She thought it was a comedy, boy were we surprised.

Requiem for a Dream is a weird one, I always liken it to the cinematic equivalent of a mugging.

MrP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

madrab wrote:
    has nobody seen "Saviour"?

either that or Requim for a Dream

Do you mean "savior," with Denis Quaid? Great movie. That scene in the river with everyone singing, that was shocking.

MrP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

The Deer Hunter. Brilliantly depressing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Requiem for a dream is anti-hollywood with its ending.

I thought Happiness was more funny that depressing tbh.

Closer was depressing.

I prefer my movies to be uplifting mostly. Give me Dumbo, Rocky 2, Rudy or Napoleon Dynamite any day of the week. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

another vote for
    Requiem for a dream

and also closer.

MrPudding wrote:
    Do you mean "savior," with Denis Quaid? Great movie. That scene in the river with everyone singing, that was shocking.

MrP

I thought that was Bill Paxton in that movie?

Or is that a different one....

I thought that was Bill Paxton in that movie?

Or is that a different one....

nope it was Dennis Quaid, that scene at the river...yep not a nice bit

Requim was really good because of its ending, it was really refreshing (in a horrible way) to see a movie like that

anybody see "What Becomes of the Broken Hearted?" now that was depressing as it was nothing compared to the original (Once Were Warrious)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Anybody seen "Into thin Air"

Its a TV movie about a missing son.

Notable apperance by the actor who plays Capt. Harris in Police Academy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement