Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man Utd v Newcastle United(will contain scores)

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

PHB wrote:
    He was brought in to replace the entire squad this summer.
    His signign of Boumsong was quality.

~*edit*

Arn't I silly?

Is he going to do the same sterling job he done with the Blackburn and Liverpool squads?
    More rangers players??
    He is IMO a very poor manager. Now everything today wasn't his fault he inherited Robert, but to be honest he bought Babayaro and Faye and seems to think that Taylor and bramble are good centre back's. I'm just not sure he can bring on Newcastle as a team to be fighting for the premiership year in, year out.

Boumsong is good but not super. He didn't control the back four as a quality centre half would. As i said before No communication. He was great as an individual defender for the 90 minutes but thats not good enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

good performance from utd, but newcastle were very bad.

in terms of individuals, boumsong was very good, probably the only newcastle player worth mentioning. carr got forward alot and tried hisheart out but his final pass wasnt good enough today. robert has to learn that if you do speak out against the manager and team that you have to perform on the pitch to prove your point.

thought keane was very good today and good to see ruud scoring again. but it has to be pointed out this was a very very poor performance from newcastle. cant wait for the final, just hope its a good clean game of football with no dodgy decisions. after all the crap in the past it would be nice to see two excellent football teams play their game and may the best team win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Wouldn blame the centre backs that much every goal there was Utd mid in possesion and space, damn right they gonna deliver the ball to the forwards with quality.

Butt as the holding mid should have had Scholes every time , not once should Scholes have been marked by the CB, the crosses from ronaldo for 2 of them he shouldnt have been allowed into that space (blame Robert for not tracking back)

In all fairness the final if both teams played like they did today could be game of the season.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

nicky butt was another that was dissappointing. i rated him very highly at utd but he just hasnt done it for newcastle this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

nicky butt was another that was dissappointing. i rated him very highly at utd but he just hasnt done it for newcastle this year.
    He has been injured for long periods in fairness to him. And for those criticising Faye, he has been excellent for them since his arrival.

As regards Newcastle and Souness in general, they have actually been doing quite well recently. Up until the start of the month they had only been beaten once since the new year (Pld17,W12,D4,L1), hardly a bad run. They have just gone to pot recently. Im sure the whole Bowyer/Dyer thing, not to mention Robert running his mouth didnt really help. Souness has actually done a decent job, its some of the players attitudes that need sorting out.

But ultimately, and as has been the case for ten years at this stage, they need to buy some decent defenders. Players as good as Scholes and Rooney will always take the piss out of a poor defensive line. Im sure Souness will address this in the Summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Butt was only a squad player at United he was not good enough to hold down a
    regular first team place. He has never settled at Newcastle and rumour is he will be moving in the summer . Kluivert will also be moving in the summer.

And for those criticising Faye, he has been excellent for them since his arrival.

Faye may have been good in the premiership, but when he comes to big games against decent opposition He just isn't good enough.

He fell to pieces midweek versus sporting and was found out by Man utd this week.

My point is that if Newcastle want to move on and challenege for the league they need to buy quality players. If we continue to buy average players we won't go anywhere.

and as for Souness. this is a direct qoute from him from BBC website
    "Again we had two 18-year-olds and a 19-year-old on the pitch. We had that on Thursday trying to win a European quarter-final as well.

"A couple of things didn't go for us but we have to live with that."

"Right now I'm feeling sorry for all my players, supporters as well.

"We played a very good United team. We've played two games and travelled to Lisbon since they last played and, given our suspensions and injuries, it was always going to be a difficult afternoon's work for us.

"We'd have liked to have played with everybody fit and rested and that wasn't the case.

"But I can't be critical of any of my players. We've been bashed up physically and mentally on Thursday and after that sometimes it takes you 45 minutes of football to get your legs going.

As always he is making excuses. Top managers don't make excuses they find a way to win with what they have at their disposal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,913 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

not think its worrying for ireland that 3 of the 5 newcastle defenders were ireland regulars?

astrofool wrote:
    not think its worrying for ireland that 3 of the 5 newcastle defenders were ireland regulars?

I don't think you could hold shay given accountable for any of the goals.

Steven Carr should have tracked back to stop number 4.

and as I said before further up the post, If a defence gets no protection from the midfield they have no chance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

anyone think milner should shoulder some blame? i know he's young and all but look at ronaldo/rooney -probably won utd the match.

souness made a comment about n'castle having 3 teenagers on the pitch and tried to use that as an excuse. utd also had a couple of teenagers ;)

imo milner hasnt delivered at n'castle and is average at best. he didnt do much at leeds imo bar break a few records which i think was the reason he was signed. he's only 18 as i said but compare him with utd's, arsenal's young guns and really he's average. imo he hasnt improved n'castle any and doesnt look likely too either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Not to be blunt, but there is a wealth of difference in Ronaldo/Rooney to Milner/O'Brien/whoever

Rooney is like some wonder kid, as is Ronaldo. They are way way developed beyond their age, and most players don't get to any sort of decent level till 24/25.

Anyone remember who Terry or Lampard were 5 years ago?

Its more of an excuse for him than Ferige, but in all fairness, he was missing two players for obvious reasons

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Souness wrote:
    "Again we had two 18-year-olds and a 19-year-old on the pitch. We had that on Thursday trying to win a European quarter-final as well.
    And one of them was partnering Boumsong at centre half. Boumsong cannot play the organisor role at Newcastle yet from what I've seen of him, so why on earth Souness partnered him with Taylor when he had a centre half with 8 years experience (and first choice in one of the best defenses in international football atm) is beyond me.

Advertisement