Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

4 Little Problems... Can ya help?

• 17-04-2005 2:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭

1) Is there a way to stop Windows popping up a box at the taskbar warning about low disk space? Like just to turn it off.....

2) How can i get windows to run a scandisk each time i boot up? The kind it runs if i dont shutdown proper. Mine has stoped doing it.

3) Why does Scandisk never work from inside the Windows OS (ie. Right click on Drive C and click Scandisk) it always need "exclusive files" that are only available after a re-boot....... When i get the same message lol

4) Finally, My coputer hangs each time i log in for around 60seconds during which noting responds when i click it. Then suddenly it all happens togeather. In the task manager its "System Idel Process" Suching up all the CPU.

Anyone got any ideas to fix one of these? Thanks in adavnce?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Which version of windows 9X or NT/2K/XP

To run scandisk EVERY time on win 9X you could add SCANDISK /ALL /AUTOFIX to the autoexec.bat

To run it in windows SCANDSKW C: /A / N

idle does not use CPU - it's what isn't being used - so it sounds like timeouts, windows (all versions) waits absolute bleeding ages (a technical term) when it goes looking for something not there

Check for stuff you don't need in startup etc.

try safe mode for the manual scandisk so less chance of an app holding files open that stop scandisk running

can't remember where the % free for warning is but it's on google somewhere , but unless you have a lot more Disk Space free than ram then freeing up space on the drive would be a better option ( I like spacemonger for looking at drive sizes )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zenith74

If it's XP give Microsoft Bootvis a shot. It'll show you what's taking so long starting up.

Advertisement