Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How local is "local needs planning permission"

Options
  • 17-04-2005 4:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭

If you are planning on building a house a few miles from your home area does anyone know what distance local needs is? ive heard its within a 10 mile radius...

One other thing i was wondering.. it a 2 acre site it goin for sale, wat are the chances of getting permission for 2 houses on it? if we did get permission due to local needs etc... :)

cheers to anyone that can advise

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭smadger

If you are planning on building a house a few miles from your home area does anyone know what distance local needs is? ive heard its within a 10 mile radius...

One other thing i was wondering.. it a 2 acre site it goin for sale, wat are the chances of getting permission for 2 houses on it? if we did get permission due to local needs etc... :)

cheers to anyone that can advise

It might be different in different counties since they all have their own development plans, but in Louth it's only 4 km (about 2.5mile) radius.

Seriously doubt you'd get permission for 2 houses. It's up to you to convince the planning authority that you NEED to live in the house and don't have other viable options. You also have to agree not to sell the house for X years. It'll be pretty obvious you're building the 2nd house for profit, and not for 'local needs'.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

how many years do u have to be there for to be considered local, this is north dublin i am talking about-lusk/ rush or south meath? Could i buy an acre now and build in 5 years say?

I've only researched Louth (got some docs from the CC website). There, you have to have lived in the area for 15 years before you'll be regarded as local.

You could have been born there, moved away and are returning home, as long as you spent 15 years there.

If you buy land, you become a 'qualifying land owner' after 10 years, but I don't know whether that entitles you to build there for yourself. It seems more aimed at providing for your children.

Have a nose around http://www.meath.ie/planning/ or http://www.fingalcoco.ie/services/PLANNING/Home.htm for a development plan/strategic plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭skywalker_208

im not building the second house.. but was thinking of buying the site with my brother and splitting it into 2.. its a pretty big site.. 2 1/2 acres i think...

im not building the second house.. but was thinking of buying the site with my brother and splitting it into 2.. its a pretty big site.. 2 1/2 acres i think...

Sounds like you'd probably be okay then. Perhaps you should arrange a meeting with the planning officer for the area (the planning office will tell you who that is). I understand they are generally willing to discuss these sort of things before you go to the bother/expense of drawing up plans.

Bear in mind there may be a restriction on what they call 'ribbon housing'. Only 4 houses in a row may be allowed, so if there are already three where you are thinking of then that could count against you on building to fourth and fifth.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement