Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many pair for Broadband + ISDN ?

• 17-04-2005 5:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭

Anyone know if I'll need an additonal wire pair for a Broadband connection plus ISDN ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

You might want to explain a bit more but I don't think you can run ISDN and broadband at the same time. Whereas DSL doesn't interfere with the POTS (voice) service because it operates at the higher frequencies, I believe ISDN operates at frequencies which might interfere with DSL. In other words, if you try to connect ISDN over your phone line with (or without) the filter, it won't work. The DSL is always active so it will almost certainly interfere. I think you'll need a second line. But sure then you could probably get wireless internet for the same price as an ISDN provisioned line + dial-up charges anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭beller b

Not quite sure what you are trying to do ....But broadband can not be enabeled on an ISDN line.. Broadband equipment need to connect to an analouge line which carries approx 55 volts dc, an ISDN line carries approx 110 dc, so for a start BB modem would not like it.
    If you want 2 seperate lines in your home ie bb on 1 & ISDN on another then yes there would be a seperate pair required.. I can't at the moment think of any benefits of having both. I would also recommend running these 2 lines around the house on completly seperate cables & not just a seperate pair!
    Maybe if you could post more info on what you are trying to do I could be more helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭thos

New apartment being built, suspect only single pair going in. Will need ISDN for RAS access into work. Need Broadband for personal use. Suspected I'd need second pair but wasnt sure.

Thanks for replies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

2 pair it is .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kasintahan

DSL can interoperate with ISDN.

But not in Ireland - to the best of my knowledge no provider offers it.
    It is widespread in Germany (where ISDN has been the standard phone service since the early 90's).

DSL over POTS (plain old telephone system) is called DSL Annex A
    DSL over ISDN is called DSL Annex B

kas

Most apartments would be wired with 3 pair cable.. I have never seen this done & would be unsure if there would be any probs with interferance from ISDN running on a different pair within the same cable..

I might be way off here but arn't only two of the wires actually used?

ronoc wrote:
    I might be way off here but arn't only two of the wires actually used?
    2 seperate lines 1 analogue & 1 ISDN , a pair is required for each as different voltages are required for ISDN compared to analogue

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dwayneburke

This post has been deleted.

RAS = Remote access server....point to point connectivity between client and server....VPN pretty much replacing it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

thos wrote:
    Anyone know if I'll need an additonal wire pair for a Broadband connection plus ISDN ?
    Yes. I originally had ISDN before my area got BB'ed. Eircom had to remove the ISDN line and put me back on a PSTN line so it I could get BB.

I hope you're not paying for the ISDN yourself, it's a complete rip for the money. You'd be better off setting up a VPN back to the office over BB if that's possible for your company to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

broadband through isdn is IDSL fyi

There might be on the siemens website about it (as 90% of the eircom isdn pnp units were made by siemens after 2000 i think )

Advertisement