Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Kerb vs Gross weight

Options
  • 17-04-2005 6:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭

I know that gross weight is "laden" weight and kerb weight is "unladen" weight, but what exactly are the technical differences? Laden with what? Fuel takes up a few tens of kilograms. I'll be generous and say that all the other fluids add up to at most a few more tens of kilograms. Yet the difference between official gross and kerb weight of vehichles i've bothered to check is often 500kg! Does it count driver and passengers in every seat?? And the luggage they're taking to france with them in the boot and on the roof rack?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

In a word, Yes !

Gross vehicle weight (GVW) includes the full amount of passengers and luggage, (or goods) that a vehicle can (safely and legally!) carry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

hmm... so does kerb weight include lubricants and fuel? or is it totally dry?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

I'd reckon you can safely say that the difference between kerb and gross weights only refers to passengers and luggage and/or goods.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Unladen might include driver and (minimum) fuel and other consumables, but not "paying" (of course who pays) cargo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

thanks very much, folks

• Advertisement
Advertisement