Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One

Options
  • 17-04-2005 6:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭

why is this song so popular? i mean, its got a decent intro, but this song is supposed to epitomise metallica's talent. im not impressed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,586 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

acri wrote:
    this song is supposed to epitomise metallica's talent
    IMO, no one song can epitomise any bands talent. Maybe an album. But One is a great song. Its not perfect by any means, there are some parts where it just drags on.

I dunno if youre a noob to metallica, but if you want more examples of metallica at their best, listen to Damage Inc, Master Of Puppets, Battery, Blackened, Call Of Ktulu and Creeping Death.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭acri

IMO, no one song can epitomise any bands talent. Maybe an album. But One is a great song. Its not perfect by any means, there are some parts where it just drags on.

I dunno if youre a noob to metallica, but if you want more examples of metallica at their best, listen to Damage Inc, Master Of Puppets, Battery, Blackened, Call Of Ktulu and Creeping Death.

i tried a bunch of em (my friend tried to convert me), but failed. there was one song on the black albumn i loved though. Through the Never i think it was

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭ether

'One' is a great song but doesn't epitomise them, try 'Fade to Black' then you can see both sides of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Jim_Are_Great

On a hardly related note, Rodrigo y Gabriela's cover of One is fab altogether. Having said that, so is everything they do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

I really liked Crematorys version of One.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

You had to be there, I suppose. Back when Metallica were really, really good and their music meant something they resisted putting out a video for a long, long time. When they eventually did make that video it was for the song One and they put a lot of effort into it and made one of the best music videos of the 80's. For those of us into the heavier stuff this song and video being played on the likes of BBC and RTE represented a victory for real music as opposed to the truly dreadful pap which always got airplay at the time. It's one of the rare occasions where the video actually adds to the song and the whole thing is really quite a special piece of work, the whole thing makes sense as a package. It was so good the video was released on it's own and I remember watching it literally hundreds of times, I even put it on a couple of months ago. ****, even my oul one knows the words ;) Thus, most of the folk who were around at the time get quite sentimental when we hear that tune. It's a great tune but to really get it, I suggest you seek the full video (not the edit).

Old school out! :D

acri, what kind of stuff do you listen to anyway? As much as metallica piss me off these days, their old stuff is brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Paligulus

I have to agree with the Doc. on that one. Now I don't know if I 'was there' so to speak but seeing that video for the first time when you were younger was unbelievable!!!
    You just wouldn't get that buzz now from a song (and a video)!!!

But on saying that, fair play to you for listening to it and dismissing it on the music alone. People tend to dismiss metallica these day's cause it's not really that trendy to like them(or maybe it's because cause they've gone to crap!!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

On a hardly related note, Rodrigo y Gabriela's cover of One is fab altogether. Having said that, so is everything they do.

About to say the same. It's sheer legend...

There is a kind of backlash at the mo against metallica, and St. Anger was a pile of turds, combined with the fact all the mini-metallers worship them (except all the mini-metallers where I'm from are backlashing against them) but I think that they made some of the best metal of their times, for a long time.

One is a great song, but people talk a lot of rubbish about, as with anything else great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭acri

acri, what kind of stuff do you listen to anyway? As much as metallica piss me off these days, their old stuff is brilliant.

i love Atreyu and 36 Crazyfists. but this genre of music sucks. its impossible to get a really har f*ckin song without wimpy lyrics. the ONLY song i can think of is Waterhaul by 36 Crazyfists. what an amazingly powerful track. i just wanna listen to somethin hard without being embarrassed.

• Advertisement

Then try the following; Napalm Death, Deicide, Arch Enemy. They will be a real challenge for you, simply because their songs are 'relatively' powerful, ND and Deicides lyrics are anything but wimpy and will be a bitch to decipher them all.

And theres plenty more where they came from.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

I would have to say that One is probably my favourite Metallica song (that or Fade to Black), it starts off all slow and restrained, has great classical solo's then builds up to a magnificent crescendo of metal riffs, and then another insane solo.

If I wanted to demonstrate Metallica's musical credentials to someone, I'd make em listen to One (or Fade to Black)

Rodrigues y Gabriella's covers of One are pretty damn good too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

I think the reason One was so popular was because firstly Metallica actually bought the rights to a film (Johnny Got His Gun) so they could use it as the video, and also it shows how good Lars is on the drums, that is some very fookin' fast double-bassing!

btw
    Doctor J wrote:
    I suggest you seek the full video (not the edit)
    I have the video at home, I don't know if its the full version or the edit, whats the difference?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Spoderman

There is a video floating around called Two of One which has both versions of the song on it (picked mine up in the Canaries). One has loads of clips from the film and the other doesn't (and I think there's a section missing from the end of this version too). Only bad thing about the video is that there's about 20 mins of Lars droning on and on about all kinds of ****e

Basically, the song was too long for Radio (coming in at 7:26) so they had to make a shorter version that radio stations would play and I think that one comes in at about 5 mins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭Geranium

One is only good when played without some guy who can't sing ruining it. I love the Rodrigo y Gabriela version but Metallica just ruin their own songs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭snakeater

I really like the Korn cover of it, they take out a few of the drawn out bits

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

snakeater wrote:
    I really like the Korn cover of it, they take out a few of the drawn out bits
    Yeah probably because they can't play them :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

dregin wrote:
    Yeah probably because they can't play them :P

Haha. good one :D

Advertisement