Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restoring brown aluminium

Options
  • 17-04-2005 6:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭

I'm replacing the existing wooden windows with PVC and was thinking of getting the storm porch replaced (brown aluminium - about 10 years old) at the same time. I did not realise how expensive replacing the porch would be (€1800 - €3000), however. The existing storm in actually double-glazed and works well, so the only problem is that it has faded over the years.

One guy that was quoting mentioned that the brown aluminium could be restored by using a special primer. He couldn't remember the name of the company that did it, though. Anyone heard of this?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

The special primer you have been told a bout is probably etching primer. This type of primer has an acid quality that enables the primer to etch itself to the surface of the metal, by the chemical action of the acid content. This primer has excellent adhesion qualities to enable a strong bond with the aluminium substrata.

There are finishes available to recoat aluminium , supplied by Dublin outlets, but I cannot locate the adress at the moment, when I do I'll post.

This link might be of some help to you,

http://xtramsn.co.nz/homeandliving/0,,9787-2204289,00.html

kadman

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Lemo

Thanks, Kadman. That's the first documented proof I've sign that this can be done :-)

I'd really like to find someone who can do the job because it strikes me as one of those jobs where someone with a bit of experience could do a good job, while a DIY job might be a bit of a disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The aluminium (usually polyester powder coated) is designed to not have anything stick to it, so you need to make you you have a good product, otherwise it will flake within a year.

Advertisement