Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PS2 + router curiousity

• 17-04-2005 6:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 242 ✭✭

I know EA's online servers are crap anyway, but I'm curious as to why I can usually get connected to play Burnout 3 (say) online when I plug my PS2 straight into my ZyXEL broadband modem (as supplied by ESAT BT), but not when I use it via my router (currently a Linksys WRT54G, but I've had identical results with others) with all the right ports opened, and/or the firewall disabled altogether, and/or the PS2 placed in the DMZ. While I can get into lobbies etc. when I'm using the router, trying to start any sort of game always results in 'couldn't establish communications with the other player' sort of error.

I have no problems with other online games using the router, just EA games. EA even say in their game manuals that bypassing the router might help with any network issues-- I thought that advice was mainly for people who don't know how to set up their firewall properly, but now I'm not so sure.

Can anyone explain what's the difference between physically bypassing the router and just turning off its firewall or using the DMZ, and how I might get things to work with the router? The geography of my flat really doesn't make it convenient to plug the PS2 straight into the modem.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭NotMe

Just want to say that I can play NFSU2 when I plug my ps2 into my Linksys WRT54G router.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 242 ✭✭calum

FWIW I seem to have solved the worst of the problems, after a day or two of head-scratching, googling and trial and error-- my modem had uPnP switched off, and my router had it switched on. By turning them both off (or both on), I can now connect to Burnout 3 games about 75% of the time. The rest of the time, there's somebody in the room I can't ping (4 white bars beside their name) and I get disconnected, but at least that means I can tell when I'm going to get disconnected now and not get quite so frustrated :)

Advertisement