Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scandinavia not as rich as we thought?

Options
  • 17-04-2005 6:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭

I hate to post something else from the New York Times, but there is so much interesting writing being put on its site that I have to give-in and do it. This article, while I think a little out-of-touch with the economic boom that has happened here, is a real suprise. Although, from personal experience of a month in Norway in 1974, a "long neck bottle" of lager in an ordinary Oslo diner cost ten kroner then, and that would be equivalent to about €5.90 in today's money if I did the conversions and inflations right.
    New York Times
    April 17, 2005
    PERSPECTIVE
    We're Rich, You're Not. End of Story.
    By BRUCE BAWER

OSLO — THE received wisdom about economic life in the Nordic countries is easily summed up: people here are incomparably affluent, with all their needs met by an efficient welfare state. They believe it themselves. Yet the reality - as this Oslo-dwelling American can attest, and as some recent studies confirm - is not quite what it appears.

Even as the Scandinavian establishment peddles this dubious line, it serves up a picture of the United States as a nation divided, inequitably, among robber barons and wage slaves, not to mention armies of the homeless and unemployed. It does this to keep people believing that their social welfare system, financed by lofty income taxes, provides far more in the way of economic protections and amenities than the American system. Protections, yes -but some Norwegians might question the part about amenities.

In Oslo, library collections are woefully outdated, and public swimming pools are in desperate need of maintenance. News reports describe serious shortages of police officers and school supplies. When my mother-in-law went to an emergency room recently, the hospital was out of cough medicine. Drug addicts crowd downtown Oslo streets, as The Los Angeles Times recently reported, but applicants for methadone programs are put on a months-long waiting list.

In Norway, the standard line is that there must be some mistake, that such things simply should not happen in "the world's richest country." Why do Norwegians have such a wealthy self-image? Partly because, compared with their grandparents (who lived before the discovery of North Sea oil), they are rich. Few, however, question whether it really is the world's richest country.

After I moved here six years ago, I quickly noticed that Norwegians live more frugally than Americans do. They hang on to old appliances and furniture that we would throw out. And they drive around in wrecks. In 2003, when my partner and I took his teenage brother to New York - his first trip outside of Europe - he stared boggle-eyed at the cars in the Newark Airport parking lot, as mesmerized as Robin Williams in a New York grocery store in "Moscow on the Hudson."

One image in particular sticks in my mind. In a Norwegian language class, my teacher illustrated the meaning of the word matpakke - "packed lunch" - by reaching into her backpack and pulling out a hero sandwich wrapped in wax paper. It was her lunch. She held it up for all to see.

Yes, teachers are underpaid everywhere. But in Norway the matpakke is ubiquitous, from classroom to boardroom. In New York, an office worker might pop out at lunchtime to a deli; in Paris, she might enjoy quiche and a glass of wine at a brasserie. In Norway, she will sit at her desk with a sandwich from home.

It is not simply a matter of tradition, or a preference for a basic, nonmaterialistic life. Dining out is just too pricey in a country where teachers, for example, make about $50,000 a year before taxes. Even the humblest of meals - a large pizza delivered from Oslo's most popular pizza joint - will run from $34 to $48, including delivery fee and a 25 percent value added tax.

Not that groceries are cheap, either. Every weekend, armies of Norwegians drive to Sweden to stock up at supermarkets that are a bargain only by Norwegian standards. And this isn't a great solution, either, since gasoline (in this oil-exporting nation) costs more than $6 a gallon.

All this was illuminated last year in a study by a Swedish research organization, Timbro, which compared the gross domestic products of the 15 European Union members (before the 2004 expansion) with those of the 50 American states and the District of Columbia. (Norway, not being a member of the union, was not included.)

After adjusting the figures for the different purchasing powers of the dollar and euro, the only European country whose economic output per person was greater than the United States average was the tiny tax haven of Luxembourg, which ranked third, just behind Delaware and slightly ahead of Connecticut.

The next European country on the list was Ireland, down at 41st place out of 66; Sweden was 14th from the bottom (after Alabama), followed by Oklahoma, and then Britain, France, Finland, Germany and Italy. The bottom three spots on the list went to Spain, Portugal and Greece.

Alternatively, the study found, if the E.U. was treated as a single American state, it would rank fifth from the bottom, topping only Arkansas, Montana, West Virginia and Mississippi. In short, while Scandinavians are constantly told how much better they have it than Americans, Timbro's statistics suggest otherwise. So did a paper by a Swedish economics writer, Johan Norberg.

Contrasting "the American dream" with "the European daydream," Mr. Norberg described the difference: "Economic growth in the last 25 years has been 3 percent per annum in the U.S., compared to 2.2 percent in the E.U. That means that the American economy has almost doubled, whereas the E.U. economy has grown by slightly more than half. The purchasing power in the U.S. is $36,100 per capita, and in the E.U. $26,000 - and the gap is constantly widening."

The one detail in Timbro's study that didn't feel right to me was the placement of Scandinavian countries near the top of the list and Spain near the bottom. My own sense of things is that Spaniards live far better than Scandinavians. In Norwegian pubs, for example, anyone rich or insane enough to order, say, a gin and tonic is charged about $15 for a few teaspoons of gin at the bottom of a glass of tonic; in Spain, the drinks are dirt-cheap and the bartender will pour the gin up to the rim unless you say "stop."

In late March, another study, this one from KPMG, the international accounting and consulting firm, cast light on this paradox. It indicated that when disposable income was adjusted for cost of living, Scandinavians were the poorest people in Western Europe. Danes had the lowest adjusted income, Norwegians the second lowest, Swedes the third. Spain and Portugal, with two of Europe's least regulated economies, led the list.

Most recently, the Danish Ministry of Finance released a study comparing the income available for private consumption in 30 countries. Norway did somewhat better here than in the KPMG study, lagging behind most of Western Europe but at least beating out Ireland and Portugal.

The thrust, however, was to confirm Timbro's and Mr. Norberg's picture of American and European wealth. While the private-consumption figure for the United States was $32,900 per person, the countries of Western Europe (again excepting Luxembourg, at $29,450) ranged between $13,850 and $23,500, with Norway at $18,350.

Meanwhile, the references to Norway as "the world's richest country" keep on coming. An April 2 article in Dagsavisen, a major Oslo daily, asked: How is it that "in the world's richest country we're tearing down social services that were built up when Norway was much poorer?"

Obviously, this is one misconception that won't be put to rest by a measly think-tank study or two.

Bruce Bawer,a freelance writer based in Oslo, reports frequently on social and cultural issues.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

ya but if you ran a survey in 2001 IIRC a US$ was 50% lower or so .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

I dunno. Here's some interesting figures:
    • Norway is ranked #1 in the UN's Human Development Index, followed by Sweden at #2, Finland at #13, and Denmark at #17. In Norway, GDP per capita (adjusted for purchasing power parity) is $36,000 compared with the US at $35,750. According to these figures, it's Sweden and Denmark that fare much worse - Sweden's GDP per capita is $26,050. That's a measure of spending power measured by the UN using World Bank figures.
    • George Monbiot compared Sweden's situation with the UK's: "In 2002 its GDP per capita was $27,310, and the UK’s was $26,240. This is no blip. In only seven years between 1960 and 2001 did Sweden’s per capita GDP fall behind the United Kingdom’s. [...] More surprisingly still, Sweden has a current account surplus of $10bn and the UK a deficit of $26bn. Even by the neoliberals’ favourite measures, Sweden wins: it has a lower inflation rate than ours, higher “global competitiveness” and a higher ranking for “business creativity and research”. [...] n Sweden 6.3% of the population lives below the absolute poverty line for developed nations ($11 a day).(8) In the United Kingdom the figure is 15.7%. Seven and a half per cent of Swedish adults are functionally illiterate – just over one third of the UK’s figure of 21.8%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

TomF wrote:
    One image in particular sticks in my mind. In a Norwegian language class, my teacher illustrated the meaning of the word matpakke - "packed lunch" - by reaching into her backpack and pulling out a hero sandwich wrapped in wax paper. It was her lunch. She held it up for all to see.

The horror! Such abuse of human rights and dignity!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

tomf isn't it about time you started to face a little something we call on planet earth as "reality" ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meh

when disposable income was adjusted for cost of living, Scandinavians were the poorest people in Western Europe. Danes had the lowest adjusted income, Norwegians the second lowest, Swedes the third.
    Interesting article, but it's not really fair to compare raw "disposable income" when the Scandinavians don't have to pay health, education, childcare etc. costs out of their disposable income like the rest of us do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

Memnoch wrote:
    tomf isn't it about time you started to face a little something we call on planet earth as "reality" ?

avoid the personal insults. Next one earns you a ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Meh wrote:
    Interesting article, but it's not really fair to compare raw "disposable income" when the Scandinavians don't have to pay health, education, childcare etc. costs out of their disposable income like the rest of us do.
    Nor does it say how much tax they have to pay. Nothing is free.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭gom

the_syco wrote:
    Nor does it say how much tax they have to pay. Nothing is free.

Not as much as the common myth would have you believe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meh

the_syco wrote:
    Nor does it say how much tax they have to pay.
    "Disposable income" would be after tax, so yes it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭gom

Meh wrote:
    "Disposable income" would be after tax, so yes it does.

Case 1- USA: TA US citizen's Disposible Income has to pay for everything!!!

Case 2-Sweden: Disposible Income does not have to pay childcare, healthcare(including GP visits and birth control), most educational expenses, pensions, public transport(heavily subsidesed unlike US)... Indeed, somethinigs which we Irish don't even consider as Public Services are paid for by tax deductions in Sweden. All this and they still have relativly low Cororation tax for a EU country.

It isn't fair to come pair raw National Income data such as GDP or Disposible Income to quantify how weathy a society is or is not. The differences in social provision are vast between Sweden and the USA. While at the same time the companies in Sweden have a far better environment to operate in as teh high taxes are levied on workers in swedena and not companies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Yes, teachers are underpaid everywhere. But in Norway the matpakke is ubiquitous, from classroom to boardroom. In New York, an office worker might pop out at lunchtime to a deli; in Paris, she might enjoy quiche and a glass of wine at a brasserie. In Norway, she will sit at her desk with a sandwich from home.

*confused look*
    What's wrong with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Yes, not sure why the writer has a problem with that. If you ever read 'The Millionaires Among Us', which is a very interesting study of American millionaires, the authors conclude that frugality is probably the most apparent commonality linking American millionaires. Most millionaires wouldn't head out each lunch to O'Brien's Sandwiches and spend €6.00 on something you can make in two minutes at home for €0.50!

One of the things that most struck me while living in the States is how many Europeans identified a lack of entrepenurial spirit or 'culture' in their home countries as a reason for moving to the States to start their businesses. It is amazing to read a list of Silicon Valley's leading business men and women and notice all of the non-Americans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Captain Trips

Sparks wrote:
    *confused look*
    What's wrong with that?

Because the author believes it's more important to have anecdotal evidence than base your article in reality. The fact that americans are happy to pay $4 for a 20c coffee and that on TV he has seen a nice Paris scene (perhaps from the beginning of Team America) sort of makes his point even worse: he doesn't get that you don't need to constantly spend money on excessively processed food.

The cars? Well, it's a fricking airport. Right near Dublin Airport is Ballymun/Santry Cross. There aren't a lot of MB and BMWs around, but take them to the Airport carpark, where lots of business travellers *park* in *one area* called a *car park* then yeah it would look impressive.

It's not some perfect state, but Norway has very low crime. Plus, the high taxes mean that whatever you do have is *really* disposable. Getting a fat paycheck but laying out $10,000/year for VHI-equivalent healthcare in NY or CT is not comparable.

It's odd that such supposed enlightened journalism tries to show how the Spanish, eg., have a better life c/t to the Norwegians for simple things like say tequila. Each of the european countries is so vastly different in culture and history that such comparison amounts IMHO to idiocy. There is so much more homogenity in the US states by virtue of unified governemtn structure from a century ago than the collection of ex-empires that are the EU.

So if Norway wants a welfare/social safety net, let them. If Spain doesn't but wants cheap tequila, let them. I prefer that then being raped in the ass for healthcare, education or basically anything no matter where you go the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭NordicDiver

TomF wrote:
    Scandinavia not as rich as we thought?

We are 3 countries , every day norway can put 65625000 EUR in the oilfond and have enough in the oilfond to buy Swedens 1.136 billion NOK state debt.
    TomF wrote:
    In Oslo, library collections are woefully outdated, and public swimming pools are in desperate need of maintenance.

Wrong, at the library here we can borrow anything from latest om DVD to the new books.

We had one public swimming pool here last year that had the outdoor section closed. This was one popular place so it was in the newspaper a few times one of 11 public swimming pools in Oslo.
    TomF wrote:
    And they drive around in wrecks
    The cars here are expensive!mondeo 00 model for sale in norway mondeo 00 model for sale in Ireland same car 10 000 EUR more in Norway.
    TomF wrote:
    In a Norwegian language class, my teacher illustrated the meaning of the word matpakke - "packed lunch" - by reaching into her backpack and pulling out a hero sandwich
    In Sweden they eat hot lunch in Norway we eat cold lunsh, normally brown bread prepared home. is a culture thing.
    TomF wrote:
    a large pizza delivered from Oslo's most popular pizza joint - will run from $34 to $48, including delivery fee and a 25 percent value added tax.

Xross the street where i work we can order large pizza for 12-15 EUR including delivery fee and that place is not the only one , belive me i know all the pizza places in Oslo, offcourse when the boss pays the pizza we can order it at pizzahut or something and it will be 30 EUR for it..or more if u add more toppings.
    TomF wrote:
    Every weekend, armies of Norwegians drive to Sweden to stock up

..and the Swedish drive to Denmark and the Danish drive to Germany, always have been this way for the people living close to the border.

Jusy wanted to comment a few things :)

Jan

One other thing: Inequality.

The Human Development Index is a pretty good commonly used measure of development. However, probably for political reasons, equality is left out of the mix but equality is coming to be seen as a very important determinant of development, quality of life if you will. Here's how the US and the Nordic inequality shapes up on the Gini Index (100 = perfect inequality, 0 = perfect equality, closest to 0 is best):
    • Denmark: 24.7
    • Sweden: 25.0
    • Norway: 25.8
    • Finland: 26.9
    • Ireland: 35.9
    • UK: 36.0
    • USA: 40.8

So these countries are still the fairest countries to live in, Sweden's also more productive than the UK and more equal.

I don't think the figures support Bawer's inferences - namely that American culture is somehow superior to Scandinavian or European culture. It's different, sure, but maybe Bawer is placing too much significance on 'ladies what lunch' as an indicator of civilizational prowess.

In my experience in Norway, Sweden, Denmark and Finland, people are happy to make a distinction between necessities and luxuries - food in supermarkets isn't that much more expensive than here if at all. Services are, cigarettes, alcohol and other toxins are more expensive. And Norwegians travelling to Sweden to buy cheaper groceries? How inhumane, is this Stalinist Russia or something! Hey, maybe that's just a simple function of market economics - American corporations do it all the time!

Nordic diver, thanks for the comments. I sat in a café in the poshest part of Bergen, or Oslo, can't remember, right near the main Opera house and had a good feed and a coffee for about €7.00. Anecdotal I know.

You're also right about the border thing - some many Swedes living around Malmö travel to Denmark to get cheap booze. Big deal. Americans living in the states bordering New Hampshire travel there because there's no tax on booze and food, and maybe guns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭sovtek

DadaKopf wrote:
    Nordic diver, thanks for the comments. I sat in a café in the poshest part of Bergen, or Oslo, can't remember, right near the main Opera house and had a good feed and a coffee for about €7.00. Anecdotal I know.

You're also right about the border thing - some many Swedes living around Malmö travel to Denmark to get cheap booze. Big deal. Americans living in the states bordering New Hampshire travel there because there's no tax on booze and food, and maybe guns.

And "we" go to Canada to buy our drugs, Mexico for booze (if your under 21 especially) and drugs. This is more anti-Europian propoganda.
    I've noticed more and more of this popping up over the last few years in America.
    Obviously part of it comes from the reluctance to get involved in Iraq, but I have another theory as well.
    People in America are getting fed up with ever growing inequality in wealth and quality of life and starting to look enviably toward places where it's maybe a bit better.
    Now we can't have that happening...because...you know...some people might like a little socialism mixed in with their capitalism...which is evil and must be stopped!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

DadKopf, is using the word 'fairest' not a little subjective, when comparing Gini coefficients? Unless I misuderstand, when 0 = perfect equality, perfect equality is taken to mean everyone has the same income, which may be completely different to our ideas of fairness.

It's a lot fairer than one person owning all the wealth. It's an indicator of economic inequality, you can add detail to it by looking at the distribution of national income in quintiles and deciles of the population (how much of a percentage of the national income is owned by the top 10% etc.). Of course you're right that it's not a figure that encapsulates all forms and concepts of fairness, for example the political theorist John Rawls's 'Justice as fairness' is a more developed political concept. However, income is an exchange entitlement, which means that the more money one has the freer one is, so people earning €1 million a year is much freer than people on minimum wage. Income inequality can then be offset by things such as income redistribution and access to public services.

But things get interesting when you look at sub-Saharan African countries where populations are equally poor. But as we're looking at advanced industrialised countries, I think it's another good indicator to throw into the mix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭TomF

Something that is probably helpful to keep in mind is the makeup of the societies in Norway and the United States. Norway is Norwegian; the United States is English, Irish, French, German, Italian, Jewish, African (although many of the "Africans" have roots in the U.S. much deeper than other groups), Mexican, Canadian, Spanish, etc., etc., etc.. The U.S. is going to naturally have divides along racial and ethnic lines that would be unimaginable in a place like Norway that is...Norwegian.

daveirl wrote:
    This post has been deleted.
    The Gini co-efficient measures GDP per capita income inequality against population. How can raw data like this be "entirely subjective"? It can be inaccurate, sure, but these figures are more or less reliable, especially for developed countries. And, yes, measures like this do reflect value judgements embedded in measurement practises. But the Gini co-efficient is just one economic measure of income distribution which is used to indicate social opportunities in among societies.

The measure can be modified to account for money that actually stays in a country. It should also be said that GDP/GNP per capita isn't a fair assessment of a country's productive capacity because it doesn't include domestic labour and other things that don't show up on VAT returns, I guess.

But income inequality has been shown to be related to social mobility, i.e. social fairness. Poorer people have a much fewer opportunities like where they live, where they go to school, whether they can go to college or whether they can move to a place close to somewhere with good job opportunities. By contrast, richer people enjoy all of the advantages of being rich. Failing to improve lower income groups' social mobility isn't fair to begin with, but it also has negative consequences for the economy overall. This is the sort of thinking that underlies the relative poverty measure.

So, to me, subjectively speaking, 'fairness' is the manner in which a society treats its most vulnerable citizens.

TomF wrote:
    Something that is probably helpful to keep in mind is the makeup of the societies in Norway and the United States. Norway is Norwegian; the United States is English, Irish, French, German, Italian, Jewish, African (although many of the "Africans" have roots in the U.S. much deeper than other groups), Mexican, Canadian, Spanish, etc., etc., etc.. The U.S. is going to naturally have divides along racial and ethnic lines that would be unimaginable in a place like Norway that is...Norwegian.
    What's that got to do with anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,580 ✭✭✭✭Sand

I've noticed more and more of this popping up over the last few years in America.
    Obviously part of it comes from the reluctance to get involved in Iraq, but I have another theory as well.

Id put it more down to a little "payback" for the anti-american stuff going on that paints the US as fat assed, uneducated, gun totting, white sheet wearing Christian fundamentalist redneck country with small havens of somewhat European influence, like New York, or Hollywood. Whose economy and political community are on the verge of utter annialation. Who are uniquely evil and cynical and most likely the root cause of all evil in the world. Where the medical system is on par with bangladesh, where people are wage slaves, and so on and so forth.

Theres a big audiences for the "Americans have it so bad, we have it so good" in Europe. Its Irelands "shure arent we a great little island all the same" mentality supersized. Hardly surprising theres a market over there for the exact reverse.

I dont know if Norway is richer than the US per person, but Id imagine the impact of North Sea oil revenue has more to do with their wealth than socialism. Or to put it better, it makes socialism affordable. Small gulf states have a similar arrangement whereby the state pays for everything and the people accept limitations on their freedoms.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,196 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Sand wrote:
    but Id imagine the impact of North Sea oil revenue has more to do with their wealth than socialism. Or to put it better, it makes socialism affordable. .

Which is one of the reasons why the US allegdly were involved in the overthrow of Chavez in Venezuela. They do not like someone with oil turning socialist.

dictator with oil - yes
    socialist with oil - no

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

TomF wrote:

Let me poke a very large hypocritical hole on your own argument TomF
    TomF wrote:
    Alternatively, the study found, if the E.U. was treated as a single American state, it would rank fifth from the bottom, topping only Arkansas, Montana, West Virginia and Mississippi. In short, while Scandinavians are constantly told how much better they have it than Americans, Timbro's statistics suggest otherwise. So did a paper by a Swedish economics writer, Johan Norberg.

So ..... do as we say and not as we do eh?

to quote Dadakopf

"What's that got to do with anything?"

I also seem to recall myself and others poking a lot of holes in an 'economic' paper written by a nordic source and attributed perhaps to yourself a while back TomF. Could this be that same paper perhaps?

Probably something by Johann Norberg. He's a Møron.

My saying the U.S. was a melting-pot compared to Norway was probably a reaction to a perception I was getting from comments that the U.S. had a much wider range of personal economic conditions than Norway (ranging from impoverished to wealthy), and I was trying to point-out that it is probably hugely more difficult to get a consensus on how to handle problems in a tremendously diverse population like the U.S. than in a monoculture like Norway.

Moving right along, I went to the original study on the Internet (posted in pdf, never an easy thing for me to download) and downloaded it and am putting its preface here for your reading enjoyment. I think the original report is more up-to-date in its appreciation of Ireland's recent booming development that was the columnist in the New York Times, who seemed dismissive of Ireland.

EU VERSUS USA
    Fredrik Bergström & Robert Gidehag

Timbro, June 2004
    ISBN 91-7566-564-6
    TIMBRO BOX 5234 SE-102 45 Stockholm
    FAX +46-(0)8-587 898 55
    TEL +46-(0)8-587 898 00
    info@timbro.se
    www.timbro.com

PREFACE

If the EU were a part of the United States of America, would it belong to the richest or the poorest group of states?

At the beginning of the 1990s, there was no need to ask. Europe'’s economic future was a subject of growing optimism. Productivity growth had for some decades been higher than in other countries of similar standing, and that growth was now going to be hugely accelerated by the elimination of trade barriers and the closer economic integration resulting from the Single Market. The EU as an institution was – and was undoubtedly seen as – a vehicle for growth and economic liberalisation. In other words, the EU was able to do what politicians in several member countries had wished for but had failed to achieve: to increase economic openness, to strengthen the process of competition, and harness the political process behind a liberal reform agenda.

Today, the perspectives on the EU, and the outlook on its future, are radically different. Economic growth during the 1990s never became what many had wished for. Some countries performed reasonably well, most notably Ireland, but on the whole the EU was lagging far behind other countries during the whole decade. Productivity growth decreased and by mid-decade the EU was running behind the US in this respect. The process of convergence in productivity, a much talked-about process since the 1970s, had once again become a process of divergence.

The role, and status, of the EU in the economic reform process has also changed. Instead of a clear focus on economic reforms and growth, the EU (the Commission as well as the Council) has concentrated its ambitions on other political objectives. Hence, the EU no longer is – or is seen as – the great economic liberator of Europe. It is generally not performing as a vehicle for reforms, nor as leverage for policies that are needed but impossible to accomplish in the national political arenas.

Is it possible to break the spell of economic stagnation in Europe? Yes, undoubtedly. But, alas, it seems highly improbable. The member countries have agreed on a relatively far-reaching reform agenda in the Lisbon accord (yes, in the modern European context it is far-reaching). But the agenda lacks impetus. Not to say a true awareness of the need of reforms. Worse still, many European politicians and opinion-formers seem totally unaware of the lagging performance of the EU economies and that a few percentage units lower growth will affect their welfare in comparison with other economies.

Such is the background to this study on the differences in growth and welfare between Europe and the US. Too many politicians, policy-makers, and voters are continuing their long vacation from reality. On the one hand, they accept, or in some cases even prefer, a substantially lower growth than in the US. On the other hand, they still want us to enjoy the same luxuries and be able to afford the same welfare as Americans can. Needless to say, that is not possible. But the real political problem is that lower welfare standards – as with inequality in general – are a relative measure for most people. They are always viewed by comparison with others, and rarely in absolute terms. People would rather weep in the backseat of a new Mercedes than in the backseat of a second-hand Volkswagen.

This study is based on a widely acclaimed and thought-provoking book – Sweden versus the US– that was published earlier this year in Swedish by the same authors – Dr. Fredrik Bergström, President of The Swedish Research Institute of Trade, and Mr. Robert Gidehag, formerly the Chief Economist of the same institute, and now President of the Swedish Taxpayers’ Association. The study presents important perspectives on European growth and welfare. Its highlight is the benchmark of EU member states and regions to US states. The disturbing result of that benchmark should put it at the top of the agenda for Europe’s future.

Fredrik Erixon
    Chief Economist, Timbro

DadaKopf wrote:
    Probably something by Johann Norberg. He's a Møron.
    I had never heard of Johann Norberg so did a Google and found an interesting debate between him and Robert Kuttner. There are even photographs of the two men, and judging strictly from appearances, I think Kuttner might get fewer votes in the "Which one would you choose to be stranded on a desert island with?" poll.

http://www.cato.org/special/symposium/debate.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭sovtek

Sand wrote:
    Theres a big audiences for the "Americans have it so bad, we have it so good" in Europe. Its Irelands "shure arent we a great little island all the same" mentality supersized. Hardly surprising theres a market over there for the exact reverse.

I distinctly remember that market opening up in America about the time the French told Reagan to piss off when he wanted to bomb the baby's room in Libya.
    That was a few years after "Kick their ass and take their gas" was a popular bumper sticker in my little home town in Texas.
    Here...have some Freedom Fries.
    Now if the average American had any clue what was going on in Europe or much less what the Europeans were watching on TV..then you might have a point.
    But then the anti-European market seems to open up around the time that Europeans say "boo" to another killing spree by the American military.

Advertisement