Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Semi-Automatic on an Automatic Driving License?

Options
  • 17-04-2005 7:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭

I'm shopping for an automatic car (I passed the driving test using an automatic) and came across a Rover 600 for sale that says it is manual and semi-automatic. I'm wondering if I can drive this car using my current license?

Many thanks,

Nick

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

course you can

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

and why the hell are you buying a Rover 600 now??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭MeatProduct

Great! Might make an offer so. Thanks for that. The reason that I'd go for this Rover is because it's got a Honda engine in it and is fairly reliable.

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

as long as there is no clutch your grand

But if it's manual AND semi-automatic does that mean it has a clutch?

Nick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Great! Might make an offer so. Thanks for that. The reason that I'd go for this Rover is because it's got a Honda engine in it and is fairly reliable.

Nick

Not all the engines in the Rover 600 were Honda. The 620 SLi and 620 GSi models had the 129bhp 2.0 engine from the Honda Accord but as far as I know the basic 620i and 620 Si models used the less powerful Rover K Series engine. The automatic was made by Honda and hence was only available with the Honda engine.

The K series engine was prone to head gasket failure though.

As for your original question, I'm not sure what way these CVT/tiptronic/semi automatic gear boxes are classified these days. Might be worth giving your local testing centre a ring as ask them what they define that type gear box as.

bazz26 wrote:
    Not all the engines in the Rover 600 were Honda. The 620 SLi and 620 GSi models had the 129bhp 2.0 engine from the Honda Accord but as far as I know the basic 620i and 620 Si models used the less powerful Rover K Series engine. The automatic was made by Honda and hence was only available with the Honda engine.

As for your original question, I'm not sure what way these CVT/tiptronic/semi automatic gear boxes are classified these days. Might be worth giving your local testing centre a ring as ask them what they define that type gear box as.

Thank you for that. I'll give them a call tomorrow.

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

bazz26 wrote:

The ordinary K series only goes to 1.8l in capacity. There is of course the KV6 which is 2.5, but thats a different story. The rover 2.0 used in the 620 was the T-Series which is a perfectly reliable engine and an absolute rocket in the turbo version.

Advertisement