Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Real vnc ques

• 17-04-2005 7:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭

I have set up real vnc on my to comps in my house both running xp-pro-sp2 and both with ZA they are connected together through a linksys wrt-54g gateway. I have no problem getting either pc to talk to each other using vnc but I have also set up another pc with vnc and am trying to connect to one of my house pc's from this third pc via a BB connection but am getting a host error from vnc.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

firewalls blocking port 5800 & 5900 ? (both port types)
    Are you using NAT ?
    are you trying to VNC to a real internet address or the local LAN address of 192.168.x.u

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

if your using a http interface opening both the http port and the standard port usually helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭cubix

Hi Lads
    Excuse the delay in replying but for some reason I am not getting the standard email to tell me I have replies for this thread. Capt M newbie on the networking front so go easy on me :D When I installed vnc I only opened up port 5900 on ZA as this was the one quoted, had a quick look at my linksys gateway and it has NAT enabled,its also set up as a "Local Dhcp sever" if that makes any difference. I am trying to connect to the ip address of the machine which has a static ip addy. Will also open port 5800 and see how I get on, whats this port used for as it has port 5900 down for accepting connections?
    Chalk I am using the vnc interface "vnc viewer" the one where you type in the ip address of the pc you are trying to look at.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

check out www.portforward.com
    and follow the instructions to setup port 5900 for your router.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭cubix

Daveirl I think I have the firewall(ZA) nailed down as I have told it to open port 5900 for vnc viewer but the only thing I did not do is go into my linksys and open port 5900 :eek: like Chalk suggested. With any luck this will be my downfall :) , the other thing I am wondering is why I have to open port 5800 as well Capt M?as it only tells you 5900 in vnc config.
    Also lads am I correct in just typing the ip address of the comp I am trying to connect in the vnc viewer box?

Cheers

Advertisement