Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pro Evo free kicks

Options
  • 17-04-2005 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭

I got PE4 last week and am currently playing as japan in the international cup at five stars so i'm not to bad at it but i'm still having problems with free kicks. I'm only having a modert amount of success with the 2 players standing over the ball with one tapping it out and the other blasting it at goal.

Has anyone got any suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Do the free kick challenge in training get a high score and you be working the keeper every time.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭DS

For distances of less than 21/22m: Aim towards some point between the keeper and the post on the open side of the goal (i.e.behind the wall). Usually closer to the post than the keeper, but you really have to go into training and get a feel for it yourself. If you're curling it out and in, aim about half a yard to a yard wide. Take into account how much of a curl the player you're using has. Go for a hole in the wall by aiming at the head which the ball is going to be curling away from. Hold square until just below half way up the power bar. As soon as you let go of square hold down and the direction you want to curl to (left footed player down and right and vice versa).

For free kicks farther out, don't hold down, just the direction you're curling to. Also, put the power bar to exactly half way, usually even a touch either side will go into the wall or over. Remember when you're aiming that the ball will curl more, and you don't really need to worry about holes in the wall.

Another very reliable way to score if your aim is good is to aim for the corner the keeper is covering, not the wall, and hit it with the outside of the boot, holding up i.e. (hold up and left if left footed, up and right if right footed, this keeps the ball going more or less straight as long as you're close in). The closer the better for this, and go easy on the power bar, between 1/4 and 3/8s up, because you don't need height. You need to aim pretty much at the post, a bit inside it if you're curling it wide (remember there's a very slight curl).

Another one which I haven't practised but my friends use for very close in free kicks is to aim for the open end of the goal again, and tap circle to chip it over the wall.

When you get to around 27/28m (not too sure about the distances, it's easier to tell by just looking), you can start holding up and aiming around the wall. You're gonna need power aswell with someone like Carlos if you want to get anywhere.

That all makes sense in my hea but it's probably hard to see what I'm talking about there. The only way to master free kicks is to go into free training with someone like Zito or Beckham and keep practising. Pay attention to what holding left/right does with left/right footed kickers, and how holding down/up affects the shot, and find the best ways to get over the wall from certain positions. Try and vary one thing at a time with each kick so it's easier to see what effect each factor has. The only general rule of thumb I'd use is to always curl it if you're going over the wall. Curling it means the ball travels farther before it gets to the goals, and that means it has more time to get up and down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭TOPDAWG

I find em tough as well but two that work for me involve the circle instead of the square button. one being mentioned in the above thread by jus tappin circle and chippin over the wall. the other bein aim for the open corner between keeper and wall, hold circle to full bar and back on the analogue stick and rather than it bein blasted over the bar it should roll along the ground and/or under the wall, its tough but do-able!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Cannibal Ox

I always tap it to the player. Press select so both players come up, line your shot towards the far post, hold R3, let go and press square.
    It's best with people with high powered shots. I've scored a couple of belters with Adriano, with 99 power his shots are like cannoballs.
    The best thing about it is you don't have to worry about getting it over the wall. I've scored a lot more that way then I ever have with straight forward free quicks.

Another way is holding L1 when you've got both players up and letting the second player shoot it. It's a little more difficult then normal free kicks (lineing up the shot takes a bit of practice), but almost always catches the keeper off guard (i.e, won't even bother trying to save it)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 gary h

i hold up on the d pad and r1 with square when shooting at goal with free kicks, since i did it this way i have about 50% success rate from outside the box. also did free kick training for a few hours.

hope this helps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

Cheers for the tip I'll give it a go!

My free kicks have improved greatly. I think I've almost mastered the art of the Beckham esque free kick, scored a peach of a goal the other day with van der vaart.

My technique is to face between the wall and furthest post, bring power up to just under half and then use the right analogue to curl it into the near post. I'm getting almost all of my shots on target.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 gary h

holding up while taking the free kick is for a "Very Powerful Free Kick" in the command list of the game.. the R1 thing was something that worked for me on pro evo 3 - dont know if it actually does anything in 4 but give it a go anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭DS

For within a yard or two of the box using circle is very reliable. Just aim halfway between keeper and post and tap as lightly as possible. You'll score more often than not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 jack1990

Lay it off to Roberto Carlos

The best and easiest way to score a free kick is like this.
    (This is usually from 22m or closer)
    Press select to bring 2nd man next to ball.
    Click r3(right anolog) down fully
    roberto carlos with his long run up will follow through his run onto ball (As roberto carlos has a very long and quick run up he will run onto the lay off, other players do not do this)
    Shoot first time with square about half power.
    u should be scoring free kicks in no time from 22m around 40% of the time.
    GOODLUCK!

Advertisement