Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wireless/networking question...

• 17-04-2005 9:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭

I've my desktop with a wired connection to my wireless router and my laptop connects via wireless. The router is connected to the NTL modem. Neither machine has a problem connecting to the web, but they can't see each other. What do I need to do. If I share a folder on either machine they can't see the share on the other one. They can't even see the other machine.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭PhoenixRising

Just go to 'My Network Places', and follow the wizard to set up a home network. What you have to do is create a 'workgroup' and add both computers to it. Then you should be able to see any shared folders on both computers provided they're powered on.

Edit: Assuming you're using XP that is. I presume it's similar for other MS OS's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Sorry yes its XP Pro on one machine and XP home on the other. Would that be the problem?

No there should be no problem setting it up on 2 XP machines. Try using the home network wizard to set up a simple home network. Do that on each machine and give them the same 'Workgroup' name as you work through the wizard on each machine. Then go to 'My Network Places' and click on 'View workgroup computers' and both computers should be listed. Basically you need to get the two computers in the same workgroup for them to be able to share files with each other. By the way I know very little about networking, it's just that I have an identical setup to you and this is how I did it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭pclancy

make sure the network connection has the firewall disabled as well tho i think the wizard does that for u.

pclancy wrote:
    make sure the network connection has the firewall disabled as well tho i think the wizard does that for u.

Yeah that's another thing which could be the problem. You can have the Windows firewall on, just make sure 'Don't allow exceptions' is NOT ticked in the firewall settings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

TBH, computers not appearing is very common on home networks with few clients. The follwing steps will help make things more reliable.

If you have run the "network setup wizard" on both machines, there is no need to touch the firewall. For the laugh, run this again on both machies if unsure.

Use the master browser toolkit (attached), follow the insturctions inside & elect the "server" machine as the master browser. An ideal addtion to this would be to set the "server" machine with a static IP address

you dont really need the computers on the same workgroup, but somtimes it helps.

type ipconfig at the command prompt on the "server" machine, this will give you the ipaddress for this machine.

on the Client, open internet explorer, type: \\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx where x is the ipaddress of the "server" machine.

this will list the shares available on the machine, even if the workgroups are different.

You can right click the shared drive and select "map network drive" the rest is self-explantory. This means that you can acces the drive regardless of workgroup and have it set as a drive letter on the client machine

if you cant get a list of resources, then the problem is possibly DHCP or suchlike.

anyho, post back with your progress

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Funkygreendogs

Do you know your wireless ip address? if not, click on start>run> type in cmd, press ok, now type ipconfig /all now look for 'Wireless Network Connection' or anything that says wireless, it will give you your wireless ip address, then, ensuring you have shared a folder on then machine you want to connect you (right-click, sharing...) then in explorer type \\ip_address\share_name and you should be able to connect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Ok once I used internet explorer, typed: \\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx I got a prompt from Zone Alarm on the other machine. So I've added each respective IP to the other computer trusted domain. They can see each other now. Thanks guys.

What Authentication settings in the local area connection properties should I be using? Do I need file and printer sharing turned on or off?

Aswell as Zone Alarm, theres also a firewall on the router I'm using a Netgear WRT614 and I am using WPA on the wireless side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

i was wondering if you had another firewall!

the router firewall is fine, it stands between your internet connection and your lan: wireless and wired, both sit behind it.

WEP will slow the network down a little as it consumes bandwidth, but it will only be noticable when transferring big files between machines. it wot affect your internet connection..

you can turn off file & PS on the machine that does not need to share any. IE it does not need to be switched on to access these resources on another machine.

you will need client for MS networks though

Advertisement