Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now that I have my home network running...

Options
  • 17-04-2005 10:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭

....is it possible for me to use both machines from a single monitor & keyboard?

I'm starting to enjoy this techy stuff :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

try VNC for one pc to the other type stuff, very easy to set up over a lan

try a kvm switch to use two pcs at one desk sharing a montir mouse and keyboard

www.tightvnc.com - opensource and free for private use :)

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Bebop

If both PC's have XP Pro you can use the remote desktop connection, this will work with a Win98\ME\2000 client (the main PC must have XP Pro)if you download the client software:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/tools/rdclientdl.mspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

For PCs that are at your desk I prefer Synergy.. still needs two monitors, but allows you to use a single keyboard and mouse.. definitely worth a look: http://synergy2.sourceforge.net/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

Bebop wrote:
    If both PC's have XP Pro you can use the remote desktop connection, this will work with a Win98\ME\2000 client (the main PC must have XP Pro)if you download the client software:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/tools/rdclientdl.mspx

I think I want to go the other way (control a W98 machine from my XP Pro machine)
    Kali wrote:
    For PCs that are at your desk I prefer Synergy.. still needs two monitors, but allows you to use a single keyboard and mouse.. definitely worth a look: http://synergy2.sourceforge.net/

I've only got the single monitor.

TightVNC still looks the most promising :)

Sarsfield wrote:
    I think I want to go the other way (control a W98 machine from my XP Pro machine

Quote.. the main PC must have XP Pro..the clients can be Win98

Is it me or whaa...................

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭causal

Bebop wrote:
    Quote.. the main PC must have XP Pro..the clients can be Win98

Is it me or whaa...................
    tbh I read it the same way Sarsfield did, i.e. if he wants to control a Win98 machine from and XP machine - then the XP machine is the client (making the requests) and the Win98 machine is the server (giving the responses).

From the link you posted:
    When run, this software allows older Windows platforms to remotely connect to a computer running Windows XP Professional with Remote Desktop enabled.

causal

OK. I can understand the confusion,

On a LAN there are servers and clients, the server is in control, the clients or workstations do as they are told, a server holds all the user accounts and assigns rights to users and their PC's,
    Remote Desktop connection is a feature of Server 2003 and is used to access client PC's in order to tweak or troubleshoot a client PC which may be miles away,

confusingly, windows XP Pro has the software to be either server or client, sysadmins can use an XP machine to remotely access a server, [if they have the passwords]
    Windows 98/ME/NT does not have the required software but you can download the client component to enable remote management of these legacy clients over a network using a S2003 or XP machine acting as a server,
    you cannot use a Win98 client to "Control" an XP machine

Keep goin' with the techie stuff Sarsfield, I hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭causal

Sarsfield wrote:
    I think I want to go the other way (control a W98 machine from my XP Pro machine)
    Oops, I meant to let you know I use Beyond Remote to control a Win98 machine from an XP machine over a network.
    I run the client on the XP machine, and the server on the Win98 machine - this allows me to control the Win98 machine from the XP machine.
    License: Freeware

Information:
    This program allows you to view remote computers live, transfer files, chat, transfer the clipboard to and from the remote computer, and power on the remote computer. Beyond Remote also fully supports Microsoft Terminal Server and Windows XP Remote Desktop.

causal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

Kali wrote:
    Might not have been useful in this case, but I second this recommendation. One of the most useful programmes I've found in years. If you've got two machines beside each other, definitely give it a try.

Advertisement