Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I the only person to like 'The Spirits Within'?

Options
  • 18-04-2005 12:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭

c'mon people, that was a great film!!
    everybody else i know that's seen it said it was rubbish, but i stand by the fact that it was a great fantasy/sci-fi story, with THE best cg animation going (the animatrix, i know)

just because it didnt have magic and swords and materia doesn't make it any less class. i wonder if the title didn't have 'final fantasy' in it that people would think otherwise.....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

You might be right in saying that if it wasn't entitled Final Fantasy it might have seemed better, a lot is expected of the FF franchise and that film didn't live up to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Niall - Dahlia

I wouldn't say it was great, but I really enjoyed it. It was visually stunning, had some great voice actors (Donald Sutherland as Cid was my favourite), and although it had nothing to do with the games plot wise, it carried over alot of themes familar from the series.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

The visuals were excellent and the lighting effects were pretty damn good too, but there was just too much talking... not that talking in a film dissuades me from enjoying it, it was just that it was the kinda final fantasy dialogue that you would skip over because its a load of s**te. Overall the film tried too hard to get the FF vibe going and pushed too far.

And on a visual note, a few of the characters were done so blandly... the main bad-guy looks like wax whereas Cid looks pretty real... i dunno, different development teams or an off day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Kone

Twas pants!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,400 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It tried to be similar in its themes to FFVII but over all I think it took itself far too seriously despite the plot being nonsensical crap. I did enjoy it but I'd only say it was alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭The Free Man

Rhyme wrote:
    And on a visual note, a few of the characters were done so blandly... the main bad-guy looks like wax whereas Cid looks pretty real... i dunno, different development teams or an off day.

yea, the main bad guy looked like the punisher or something cheesy like that!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

Entertaining film but they seemed to just rip parts of the story directly from the games, Gaia anyone? Aliens infecting the earth? etc. Could have done alot more plotwise, I still think its good tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

I rather enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I thought it was pretty good.

I loved the alien designs. They were very well done and genuinely looked alien... not like some of the boring designs you get in most Holywood films.

I have the DVD... I'll have to root it out and have a look again as I haven't seen it in a while. There were actually some very silly deleted scenes on the DVD.

I have the DVD... I'll have to root it out and have a look again as I haven't seen it in a while. There were actually some very silly deleted scenes on the DVD.

lol
    did you see the part where all the main characters and a few aliens are dancing like zombies from the thriller video?!
    classic :D

• Advertisement

lol
    did you see the part where all the main characters and a few aliens are dancing like zombies from the thriller video?!
    classic :D
    Strangely enough i remember that, i rented it out yeeeaaars ago... the screensaver on the disc sucked badly.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

i loved it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,400 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I love the deleted scene where the main character does his 'hollywod jump for the helicopter tm' bit and calls Aki Ross a bitch. Then Aki floors him by moving the craft :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭rcunning03

final fantasy unlimited is far superior

FF unlimited is boring and puts me to sleep.

thats the manga series yes?

i'm dyin to see that, tried to d/l it ach to no avail.

rcunning03 wrote:
    final fantasy unlimited is far superior
    *Gets Sick*

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I liked it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

The film was probably a good idea in theory but to be honest it didn't seem too good. One of the disappointing things about it is that the plot didn't seem very well thought out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Zapho

I actually liked it. The animation was really cool, and the story wasnt really that bad!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Q_Elexra

I liked it. I've got it on DVD too. I thought alot of it was really well done but there were some bits that were just a bit iffy.

Advertisement