Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL Disconnecting

• 18-04-2005 9:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭

Any idea why NTL would suddenly start disconnecting on me?
    Had happened twice in two days now; rebooting my cable
    modem, then machine, fixed it.

P.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

You using usb or nic?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

Lenny wrote:
    You using usb or nic?

Wireless PC (XP Home) -> Wireless router (Linksys
    WRT54G) ->ethernet-> NTL standard cable modem.

The only thing differently I've done lately is to
    use BitTorrent a bit more (saves having to record
    Doctor Who. :)

Are there any log messages generated by the
    router or PC to state when/how the deconnection
    occurs?

P.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

Where are you living ? D15 is up and down like a whores ..........

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

Drapper wrote:
    Where are you living ? D15 is up and down like a whores ..........

D8, near Christchurch.

P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭40coats

if there's a splitter on the line between your modem and the access point try taking it out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭MagicBusDriver

I found the modem semmed to get to hot with p2p application. I then would disconnect. I raised the modem a few cm off the suface it was sitting on allwing air flow to the vent underneath the modem. I have had no problems since.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,874 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I found the modem semmed to get to hot with p2p application. I then would disconnect. I raised the modem a few cm off the suface it was sitting on allwing air flow to the vent underneath the modem. I have had no problems since.

My cable modem has a stand that allows you stand the modem vertically, this greatly increases air flow and keeps down temps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Beats

Having similar problems out in D18 - Using same setup as Oceanclub. Intermitently droping off, but reconnecting without rebooting. Could this be a wireless signal issue ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭wayne040576

Beats wrote:
    Having similar problems out in D18 - Using same setup as Oceanclub. Intermitently droping off, but reconnecting without rebooting. Could this be a wireless signal issue ?

I've been having problems in D. 12 area for a few weeks now. Very similar to the Cache server problems that a lot of people had back at the begining of March. I can connect to most web sites ok but having trouble
    with pop and news servers and some https sites, and also instant messenger programs . The only way I can connect is to shut the modem off for a bit. This solves it for an hour or two but then it goes again. Anything that connects directly to the cardiff proxy sever is fine but pop,news and messenger connections won't work this way.

Advertisement