Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new Shopping CentreS at Parkway

Options
  • 18-04-2005 10:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭

I see from Limerick post news that ATLANTIC Homecare is opening soon, on Thursday April 21. Drove by it lately on Childers Road and it looks massive - anyone know what other stores will be in there?

Another article on the Parkway "in addition to the Parkway Shopping Centre, the area will shortly get another major shopping centre on Childers Road <presume this is the one ATLANTIC Homecare is in> and Mr Parkes <owner of the Parkway Shopping Centre> is hoping to build a third , also in the same area which would be one of the biggest in the country outside of Dublin."
    Is a third Shopping Centre in the Parkway area really needed ?
    He's also looking to have a train stop established behind the Dublin Road shopping centre, linking into the Limerick-Ennis rail service.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

Ya, for some really weird reason that area has become a hive for business!
    The next devolopment will be in the shape of a rugby ball, i think thats the one that will be huge, although i'm pretty sure that they dont want to build the largest shopping centre, just that they want the parkway area to be a large shopping area (the 2 new places as well as Parkway S.C and Retail Park)

Dont get your hopes up on the rail... thats just politians juping on the bandwagon!
    The paper contacted Iarnod Éireann to ask about the proposal and they hadnt heard anything about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,241 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

rok wrote:
    I see from Limerick post news that ATLANTIC Homecare is opening soon, on Thursday April 21. Drove by it lately on Childers Road and it looks massive - anyone know what other stores will be in there?

Another article on the Parkway "in addition to the Parkway Shopping Centre, the area will shortly get another major shopping centre on Childers Road <presume this is the one ATLANTIC Homecare is in> and Mr Parkes <owner of the Parkway Shopping Centre> is hoping to build a third , also in the same area which would be one of the biggest in the country outside of Dublin."
    Is a third Shopping Centre in the Parkway area really needed ?
    He's also looking to have a train stop established behind the Dublin Road shopping centre, linking into the Limerick-Ennis rail service.

Dunnes Stores have bought the biggest of the units there and Smith's Toys are opening a superstore there also. There is plans for at least one restaurant in the centre. The plans for the third shopping centre is supposed to be located on the area between the groody river and TK Max/Curry's on the Dublin road. It is planned for about 20 retail units, bars/ restaurants and a cinema. This is only talk at the moment as no planning permission has been granted and there are major concerns about adding to the already ridiculous traffic congestion at the Parkway roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

It still probably wont put to much pressure on the crestent

Well the Cresent shopping centre while big lacks a good DIY store. Besides the Co-op store across from the South Court Hotel there really isn't anything else at that side of the city. Maybe the new extension to the Cresent will bring a decent DIY store?

With Home Base already open, Atlantic Homecare about to open in the next week and B&Q superstore under construction on the Ballysimon road there is plenty of choice on that side of the city and I think it will be a hit. It will also give people a choice rather than everyone flocking to the one shopping centre.

Nice to see a new Dunnes Stores being built out at Jetland in Caherdavin, it amazes me why there isn't a decent shopping centre on that side of the city considering the residential population there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

bazz26 wrote:

Nice to see a new Dunnes Stores being built out at Jetland in Caherdavin, it amazes me why there isn't a decent shopping centre on that side of the city considering the residential population there.

There is going to be a centre built beyond the coonagh roundabout in 2 years time I think .

• Advertisement

Yah, this is well overdue.

Where abouts is coonagh roundabout (not to great at the names on the roads in limerick city) im from county :)

The roundabout just past the Greenhills Hotel on the Ennis road where the dual carrage way begins.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

with regard to the parkway development
    http://www.limerickpost.ie/dailynews.elive?id=6243&category=Daily-Tue

was trying to find out the name of the retail park being built at least now that I know I can find more info

more info on B and Q, and a pretty crap image of it regretably
    http://www.hok.ie/newsandpubs/newsarticle.aspx?id=210

page five and six you might find interesting also
    http://www.hok.ie/images/commercial/10005016/10005016_brochure.pdf

I see Atlantic Homecare is opening it's doors today.

• Advertisement

anyone go inside whats it like, though it wouldnt be my kind of store anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Rozie

Damn, traffic's bad enough already...

I was there! Its huge, toilets are out of order... so everyone has to use the womens toilets! Quese are backed up to get into the smelly dirty toilet!

Staff dont know where stuff is ... but the place is huge it seems understaffed so at the moment i wont complain about that!

They have no vending machines or little cafe type setup! All they have is a cadbury stand by the checkouts!

All in all it seems very much a builders store or if you where dooing up your house not a 'i'll pop down to ... and have a look' kinda place!

Rozie wrote:
    Damn, traffic's bad enough already...

Traffic was starting to get ok , I even took to using Childers road again since the new ring road ( whats that gonna be called ?) opened . But went over that way last friday morning , superquin and back to pc world then over to Atlantic and I rekon that road is gonna be a nightmare again soon .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 sigmund

all roads in limerick are a nightmare.

No way!!! Limerick roads are great, try driving in dublin or cork!

i dunno, the one-way system in the city is a complete cock up to be honest. and there must be more sets of traffic lights between careys road and mallow street than there are between the town and Raheen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭BobTheBeat

I heard Maplin electronics were to open in Limerick.. maybe it'll be out there :confused:

bobmeaney wrote:
    I heard Maplin electronics were to open in Limerick.. maybe it'll be out there :confused:

its about time we had maplin here, some of the places here now are taking the piss to be honest with regard to prices.

Went to Galway to visit my sister , went into town to Maplins to see about buying a p4 3gig to upgrade my own .

"a, what socket sir "
    "478 please"
    "sorry we only do 775 now "

bah humbug!

• Advertisement

Limerick - Opening May 2005
    Unit 7 Childers Retails Park
    Limerick

http://www.maplin.co.uk/StoreOpenings.aspx?doy=25m4

this should please some

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭theblackstuff

harvey norman the shop with those annoying adverts on the radio is comming to one of the retail parks, notsure which one,
    they are taking three of the units...

and apparently Next are opening in the childers road retail park??

what sort of store are dunnes opening in the childers road retail park ???

I would say they will make it all clothes and D.I.Y! TBH i donnt see why they are opening out there!

The reason Dunnes Stores have bought a unit there is because the Parkway Shopping Centre cannot be expanded any further due to the lack of space. As far as I know their hardware, drapery, clothing and possibly off license departments are moving into the new building. This will allow them to expand their main unit in the Parkway for groceries only while closing the existing smaller units. Apparently renting a retail unit in the Parkway is very expensive. The place badly needs a makeover like the Cresent Shopping Centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

harvey norman the shop with those annoying adverts on the radio is comming to one of the retail parks, notsure which one,
    they are taking three of the units...
    Harvey Norman is coming to Limerick!!!
    I love those adds!!!
    Harvey Norman is a God among men!!!
    I can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D:D:D

What ads??

they do be on today FM,

GO HARVEY GO !!!!!!?!?!?!?!?!?? :D

I think that I might camp outside when they open, just to meet Harvey!
    I've got this mental image of Harvey living in the store!
    You'd walk in in the morning, and Harvey, wuld be there having a coffee, over by the coffee makers. Then, if you called back in the evening, he'd be there sitting down watching rugby, or aussie rules on one of the televisions!
    Maybe I'm going a bit too far, but Harvey has that effect on me!!! :D

god limerick is really coming on lately

• Advertisement

You know that you've made it when Harvey Norman comes to town!!! :D

Advertisement