Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Do immobilisers work?

Options
  • 18-04-2005 10:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 881 ✭✭✭

I'm buying a (flash) car and it's fitted with an immobiliser. I'm wondering if this really works or if thieves have ways around it.

I figure that I should also get one of those steering-wheel locks. Any recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

No security measure is completely 'thief proof'

I read recently of a guy in South Africa (i think) who had an S-Class (i think) which had a finger print reader used to start the car. So some guys break into the house, cut off his finger, and make off with the car (and his digit!)!!!!

What you need to do is deter them, if you are parked in town near another desirable car and you have a big steering lock on the wheel, and the other car doesn't, well most thieves will go for the easier option.

I have an mx-5 soft top, and i got one of the big silver half-circle wheel locks, because i was advised that these are the best deterrent. Seemingly the straight bar wheel locks are useless because the thief can easily cut through the steering wheel and slip the lock out there!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

The best anti theft device will always be parking next to something more desireable and / or easier to nick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Ratchet

steering and gear stick locks are useless,

chain and good alarm with LED in the door handle does wonders. where diy immobiliser will keep the car in the same spot .

don't use any stupid stickers saying, this vehicle is fitted with cobra alarm

Chain what to what?

steering wheel to your seat rail. it's too much labour intensive to cut it

• Advertisement

that is true, but it is very easy to cut through the steering wheel ( a garden pruner does the job quite nicely ) and slip the chain through there.

Hence, a half circle wheel lock eliminates that option.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

im with all that has been mentioned already.

the best deterrent without a doubt is a chain,the bigger the better! most immobilisers will do the job of delaying a thief from taking your pride and joy, it wont stop them - none of them if they've got the time and the space to take your car. So parking wisely and locking up sufficiently will go hand in hand with your immobiliser.

Those 'autoloks' that cover your steering wheel are also Thatcham approved so insurance discount is possible.

Hey ciarsd, is the 147 yours?
    It looks sweet, (big alfa fan here).

Insanely jealous :( ,
    Prospect

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

yeah sure is prospect. Cheers :)

p.s. im selling it in the summertime!!

Well im not sure if the finances/wife would permit a purchase, but i will keep an eye out... :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Automan

I would recomend Disklok, been using one for about 2 years before that someone tried to rob my car, alarm scared them off, got a disklok and nobody has tried to rob my car since.

http://www.disklokuk.co.uk/opinions.html

it all depends on the car , many steering wheels would require 2 cuts.
    chain will last longer on the car then steering lock.

chain is not the handiest thing to put on your steering but takes less space then this disklok .

where are you going to keep this ? glovebox

I know of two people who have had there cars robbed both had chains on the car.

I have not heard of anybody who had a disklok having there car robbed.
    I keep mine on the back seat.

Automan wrote:

it happens when they are just wrapped around the steering or where purchased in Atlantic homecare

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I have an Datatool immobiliser on my bike, it supposidly stops people starting it with a screwdriver.

Ratchet wrote:
    takes less space then this disklok .

where are you going to keep this ? glovebox

:D There is no doubt about that, i keep the lock on the shelf behind the drivers seat, and it is less than ideal. On a significant journey, i'll stick it in the boot. But i must say, i personally think it is still a more secure option than a chain.

Although the fact remains, two cars, with immob's but one also has a chain/wheelock, the one without is more of a target.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

Automan wrote:

I have not heard of anybody who had a disklok having there car robbed.
    I keep mine on the back seat.
    I wouldn't like to slam on the breaks or be involved in a crash & have a disklok come hurrtling at me. :eek:

See where your going with this but the seat is low so it would fall into the foot well, and to do any kind of damage to the driver you would want to hit something solid at speed.
    Most of the time it is left in the foot well in front of the back seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

There's very few professionals that would be able to get past an immobiliser, so most wouldn't bother. You'll find they'll either break into the house and steal the keys or tow it away. It will deter amateur joy riders but it won't stop them breaking in to try to get the stereo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

I have an immobiliser and alarm on my 1997 Honda.
    (Sikura alarm cost £200 back in '97).

I also have a chain and lock stashed under the drivers seat for when I visit Dublin ! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

Its incredably easy to get the car open, you can buy this little bag which you slide in between betwen the door and pillar pump it up hey presto.2 mins max. :D

Advertisement