Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IBB Siac highsite in Clondalkin

• 18-04-2005 11:13am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭

Can everyone please stop using it as I need to get some work done :)

1Mb setup
    Download speeds of about 20KB/s
    Speeds of about 150kbps down and 300kbps up. These should be approaching 700 to 800.
    Not very good.

So, again, I was wondering if everyone could stop using their IBB connection for a couple of hours. Just until I get some work done. You can use it again at around 5:30pm tonight. :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭CONMIKE12

Well,Tis nice to see that IBB are still being consistent on the Siac tower !! broke my cotract with them last year got Esat and have never had a single problem since.Most unprofessional company i ever had the misfortune of dealing with.Best of luck !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭Adey2002

I had problems from SIAC at the weekend, as far as I know, it's not sorted yet. Goto www.irishisptest.com and check the speed etc.

Also, if you ping the SIAC tower there is no problem, 1-3ms with no timout, but if you ping the next hop it's in the hundreds with loads of timeouts. I think there is a problem between SIAC and the rest of the network.

Did you call them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Adey2002 wrote:
    I had problems from SIAC at the weekend, as far as I know, it's not sorted yet. Goto www.irishisptest.com and check the speed etc.

Also, if you ping the SIAC tower there is no problem, 1-3ms with no timout, but if you ping the next hop it's in the hundreds with loads of timeouts. I think there is a problem between SIAC and the rest of the network.

Did you call them?

Yeah, I do my ping tests and that website run at least once every morning, just to see what sort of day I'll be having. I also get an average of 2ms with no packet loss from the Siac gateway. This is how I am convinced it's their net connection. Not the wireless connection from here to Siac.

Anywho, they're engineers were out there this morning and seem to have made it better [not fully fixed, though] by about 1:30pm today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭Adey2002

IrishTLR, pm me your email addy and I will send you mine, maybe we could use each other to confirm problems in the future... You're the first person I've found on SIAC using the same connection as me.

Adey2002 wrote:
    IrishTLR, pm me your email addy and I will send you mine, maybe we could use each other to confirm problems in the future... You're the first person I've found on SIAC using the same connection as me.

PM sent.

I'm not happy with the SIAC site at all. I've been on the site for about 2 or 3 months, since it went live after the upgrade. I've had between 5 and 8 seperate incidents of issues in that time. At one stage I was effectively down for 5 days.

Today was the latest. I came into work at about 9am [I'm the only one in our office, so bandwitdh is all mine]. I noticed problems straight away. I was averaging about 40KB/s download speeds.

When I rang IBB, they went about looking into the problem. They first tried to diagnose my equipment. I tried to tell him that there was nothing wrong with my equipment as I get 2ms pings to SIAC. I also tried to explain that it was THEIR net connection. They [I won't give their names] still insisted that I take screenshots and whatever of my tests and email it to them. After an hour or so they get back to me and confirm that there is a problem at the high site. Engineers are sent out and by lunchtime it gets a little better. By 4pm they just turn off the high site totally.

I ring them [font=&quot]furiously, but maintain calmness[/font]. How am I suppose to run my business without an internet connection? About 95% of my work is over the interent, VPN / VoIP to USA. At least before 4pm I had a trickle and could route my phones over ISDN.

I think it's disgraceful that they cannot do their repairs after normal business hours. I have a business account with them so I expect my business internet connection to work 9am through 5:30pm.

I don't want to trivialize the residential IBB market but I'm paying a premium. If my net connection goes down, I loose money and maybe my job.

I will be making another formal complaint to them tomorrow morning.

Regards

• Advertisement

Right, I'ff been out sick the last few days but came into the office today and everything looks back to normal.

Minimal packet loss [although I was geting 0 loss a few weeks ago], pings are down to an average of about 50ms and bandwidth is about normal.

Even got a call from the support rep [no names] to check up. He has been very helpful over the experience.

Still not happy with the SIAC high site. Can not wait until it goes down again in two or three weeks :rolleyes:

How is yours Adey?

===

Download -> 965Kbps
    Upload -> 2.93Mbps
    All this on a 1Mb line. They must have upgraded me and not said anything :)

Ping statistics for 66.102.9.104: [www.google.ie]
    Packets: Sent = 100, Received = 98, Lost = 2 (2% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 45ms, Maximum = 61ms, Average = 49ms

Advertisement