Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom apparently blocking domains

Options
  • 18-04-2005 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭

A client of mine recently upgraded to Eircom bb. All went well at first but after a few days he found his own company's web site and email domain was being blocked from him. (I'm sure he's been onto Eircom tech support but I can't get in touch with him since)

The web site and mail server are functioning normally as far as I can see (did pings and tracerts and so forth). The site/mail are hosted by Hosting365.

Can anyone shed some light on this? Has anyone had similiar problems and what was the result?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

I dont think eircom block any domains, cause they certainly dont block ports.
    this site is also on that provider, so it wouldnt be an ip blocking issue. I can only think maybe something in his machine as changed, perhaps its DNS settings are incorrect etc.

go here and check the results of a whois query with all the irish isp dns servers, check for any differences/errors

http://82.195.129.128/dnscheck/

he may also want to make sure there arent any entries in his hosts file that may be incorrect for the domain.

Also, perhaps use firefox if he doesnt already, since he could be browser related, you never know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

if his ip address is 83.*.*.* then its just a dodgy ip range eircom own which is blocked by random servers but they need to contact tech support to get it checked out. Even if its not that range it could be some other range they now own doing the same thing, the best thing ive noticed about moving to esat is i dont get that range and can access every site now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

Kristok wrote:
    if his ip address is 83.*.*.* then its just a dodgy ip range eircom own which is blocked by random servers but they need to contact tech support to get it checked out. Even if its not that range it could be some other range they now own doing the same thing, the best thing ive noticed about moving to esat is i dont get that range and can access every site now.
    got any evidence wrt this?

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

my ips always fall in the ranges of 83.x.x.x or 217.x.x.x
    never had a problem that i noticed

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Eircom have a few ip ranges that are blacklisted across the world for some reason or other which I've forgotten. Whether that's what is causing this problem, I don't know.

Moved to Nets/Comms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

Moriarty wrote:
    Eircom have a few ip ranges that are blacklisted across the world for some reason or other which I've forgotten. Whether that's what is causing this problem, I don't know.

Moved to Nets/Comms.
    not since about halfway through 2004 when they got the last few blacklistings lifted.

they "apparently" bought up access on loads of ip ranges cheap when they first offerend reasonable broadband, many of these were cheap because they were blackilisted for spam and getting these lifted takes time, aswell as actually figuring out whos list your on in the first place.

its been alost 2 years now and afaik this problem is resolved.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭nahdoic

did the company use to host their website with eircom?

If so eircom's dns may still be pointing to their old website, so when you try the website using an eircom dns it will appear blocked.

It's easy to check just query the eircom DNS for the website name, and then query and normal dns service.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

Thanks everyone for your replies - very helpful & informative

I've just been in contact with him and the problem seems to have resolved itself - still it's best to follow it up in case this problem comes up again

They never hosted with Eircom, nahdoic, they were with a small ISP in the UK before I moved them to Hosting365
    Moriarty wrote:
    Eircom have a few ip ranges that are blacklisted across the world for some reason or other which I've forgotten.

Eircom, such a dodgy company!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Kristok wrote:

The 83.* range (or ranges within the range) was previously reserved for private use, but recently released for general use, some of which eircom use.

So any servers/sites that block based on IP, need to ensure that their private IP ranges are updated to reflect this change.

No eircom BB support technician I spoke to (10+ on this case alone) was aware of this issue.

.cg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

They didnt buy up blocked spam ranges, afaik they where given a new range by icann or whoever but it was not previously released so the range was automatically blocked by certain isps around the world and they had to contact them on a per case basis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭java

Chalk wrote:
    not since about halfway through 2004 when they got the last few blacklistings lifted.

they "apparently" bought up access on loads of ip ranges cheap when they first offerend reasonable broadband, many of these were cheap because they were blackilisted for spam and getting these lifted takes time, aswell as actually figuring out whos list your on in the first place.

its been alost 2 years now and afaik this problem is resolved.

Its not possible to buy "cheap" ip ranges. Have a look at www.ripe.net for information on how ips are assigned. The eircom problem afaik related to other isp's not updating their bogon filters which is a frequent problem for ALL isp's.

Try changing your primary DNS server.

We have one of eircom's DNS servers to be a bit unreliable.

I'll try find which one it was.

Advertisement