Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

any there many irish City of Hero players out there?

Options
  • 18-04-2005 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭

WoW was my first MMO and despite it's server problems I've been mightly impressed with it. I wanted to see what slse was out there so I got City of Heroes yesterday. I've only started out on Defiant server with a Controller character called Frank The Tank. Having loads of fun in Atlas at the moment.

Is there any Irish super groups on CoH? or is there any supergroups that irish players are playing with that you could recommend?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I just started on Saturday.

I've got a Science Blaster called Rex Mundi.

I'll be sure to keep an eye out for you.

I've run into one other Irish player in there, Disilius I think his name is.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,330 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I'm Red Rocket on Union, which has an Irish supergroup, cant remember the name of it though. Might Defenders of Justice, or some such.

Like all MMORPG's, it can get repetitive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

Damn forgot about the whole european servers thing, or I would have told you all to re-roll on Virtue :-D

Anyway, I have been playing this game for almost a year now and am still loving it. It is very different from most other MMOs and is a lot of fun.

You need any help on builds or anything don't be afraid to ask. Dunno if you guys have had to chance to look at PvP. If not, I can tell you it is going to be a lot of fun :-D. We played with the Devs last week in SG battles and it was insane! They recorded some Vids of us for E3

Also, with E3 coming expect a lot of news on COV, and once COV hits this game is going to explode!

{EDIT}A key to enjoying the game is to get into a good SG, one that suits your needs. It will make the WORLD of difference, so go on the hunt for a good one. Don't just accept the first offer of "Send a tell to get into my uber SG" that you see in Atlas Park!

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Dubhthamlacht

The one thing I still trying to get my head around is enhancements and how they slot together. It's kinda confusing at the moment. I know certain types of enhacements are only applicable for certain powers. But the whole coloures numbers thing and ++ notation is kinda confusing at the moment.

for example I'm combining a damage ++ with a another damage enchanment and it gives a 90% match. Is that okay?? should I be looking to get a 100% match with another type of enhancement?

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭MrTimewalk

I've been playing for a few months on and off, I have a lvl 15 fire tanker called MrTimewalk. It's good fun, recently got my super jump so have been having much fun with it

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,330 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Enhancements are kind of funny, anyway to answer your questions and clean up your confusion:

The number on an enhancement means the level of the enhancement.

Say you are lvl 10, and get a lvl 10 damage enhancement. This enhancement would be white meaning that it is the same lvl as you.
    Lvl 7, 8, and 9 would be yellow to you and would only give a smaller bonus.
    Lvl 11, 12 and 13 would be green to you and would give a bigger bonus
    Lvl 6 and below will be useless to you, and only use able to upgrade other enhancements
    lvl 14 and above would be useful only once you get to lvl 11

Thats general usage over with, now for upgrading:

Combining a lvl 10 and a lvl 10 will give a value of 100%
    Combining a lvl 9 and a lvl 10 will give a value of 95%
    Combining a lvl 8 and a lvl 10 will give a value of 90%

This just means the chance of combining the enhancements, the further apart the levels are the less the chance of success.

The + and ++ are mean that this has been combined once or twice.
    Lvl 8+ is actually a lvl 9
    Lvl 8++ is actually a lvl 10

You can only combine something twice, and must use a higher valued enhancement to combine:

Cant combine a lvl 8++ and a lvl 8
    Can combine a lvl 8++ and a lvl 11.

I think that thats everything. Hope that helps

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Dubhthamlacht

Cheers Cat. That was exactly the info I was looking for. I'd been looking at some of the CoH fan websites for this info but none of them made it sound as simple and as clear as you explained.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭sillo

Silence, level 45 Stone/Mace (yes, really) tanker, on the Defiant server - also have an alt Dai-anne, a L10 DM/Regen Scrapper.

Also have a very active presence on the official EU forums; if you need anything or have questions, drop me a /tell in-game :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Playing on the Pinnicle server. Main character has reached its second wall (level 36), so not that active at the mo.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Grand_Izer

I was up until 5.30 am this morning with a few other heroes on a mission to kill Atta and his guards. After 3 hours killing god knows how many trolls and each of us having died over half a dozen times
    we finally resorted to having one of the team members switching to his level 50 healer alt (previous healer had to bail) before we finally managed to complete the mission :rolleyes:.

Grand Izer, a level 18 mutant scrapper with a huge XP debt on Defiant to clear.

• Advertisement

I got debt of over 5000 yesterday...

The Circle of Thorns are horrible... instead of going to the hospital you get locked up in one of their jail cells and it's almost completely impossible to escape. You just keep dying over and over again...

Wiped them all out in the end though... and the Cave of Transcendane is next up... which is supposed to be VERY HARD...

The Atta mission is cool. The cavern of Transendance is even cooler (Although much harder)

Don't worry about debt, it really doesn't mean all that much. Just have fun and don't let it get to you, then you won't notice your debt coming or going.

In the next issue (5) Debt will be cut in 1/2 if your in a mission map, which is cool :D

Actually that jail thing is not exclusive to CoT, but I'm surprised if you're encountering it at all in the early game. I don't think I saw jails at all until at least the thirties. Were you SK'ing up maybe?

As regards debt - a little debt never hurt anyone :) It's capped at half the requirement for your next level so it's impossible to get into an unworkable amount of debt. Having said that, dying 6 times in one mission is a lot!!! Might be worth trying some basic tactics and fighting the trolls on your own terms :)

Atta mission and Frostfire are both very fun...

No.. I was just level 16... no SKing up and it was my mission. It can get pretty fustrating as some of the cells you get sent to have ghosts in them and you just get wiped out all over again very quickly.

Forstfire is great for getting XP, and you can get through it pretty fast if you have a good team behind you.

I'm doing Positrons Task Force at the moment. It's very good. Getting alot of XP this way. Hard trying to get everyone on the team to make it back to do some more of it each night though...

That sounds very nasty, must be a particular mission that I missed on my first run through.

Positron and indeed most of the taskforces are excellent. At the moment I'm doing the Shadow Shards ones, the final 4 in the game - first one took 10 hours, second one only 6. Great fun, great XP, great team exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭hairyheretic

I normally play a dark/dark defender called Dominus Nox on Union. I have a few other alts that I'm using to play around with different builds and see what they're like.

Edit - Union, not Defiant. Bleh, brain no workee good.

those triple-d's look interesting and will be killer in PvP......

my only alt is a l11 Dm/Regen Scrapper....i'm not sure i'd be able to adapt to the life of a squishy after 47 levels as a tank.

LOL! You think a regen is a squishy!!!:eek: crazy talk!:eek:

Positron is the only TF I have not done, I outleveled it 20minutes before I went to do it :(. It does not have an AV though, which is slightly disappointing and anti-climatic. The rest are good though, and can be a great boost in XP for those times when you just want the bar to move a bit :D

Did you do the Shards ones? The first one was awful....worst TF in the game by a mile.....extremely buggy....zerg maps everywhere, one broken map which requries GM intervention to pass.........

I meant the dark defender build was a squishy :) THough I am a tank so...yeah, anything that isn't me I generally consider a squishy ;)

Posi is a slog and the lack of AV is a letdown, that's true.

First SS is crazy, happy to have it over and done with if you know what I mean :D
    The storm palace is cool though, shame they didn't do it better because not a lot of people get to see it.

• Advertisement

yes.....the whole area needs more work, the molepoints are bugged to hell (though some say its fixed on test so maybe I4 will patch things up). It's an ideal place for more high-level content, which states says will be a focus of Year 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭hairyheretic

sillo wrote:
    I meant the dark defender build was a squishy :) THough I am a tank so...yeah, anything that isn't me I generally consider a squishy ;)

With flight and a dark sniper power, I can generally outrun or outrange anything else at my level :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I'm a level 8 Fire Blaster on Defiant called Kelvin struggling in Perez Park. Damn Circle Of Thorns!!!

And does anyone else have the hover skill? It's agonisingly slow, even with enhancements.

6-slotted Hover is just as fast as fly, it is hot!

sillo wrote:
    Actually that jail thing is not exclusive to CoT, but I'm surprised if you're encountering it at all in the early game. I don't think I saw jails at all until at least the thirties. Were you SK'ing up maybe?

Didn't see a COT prison until my 30's. Although you can see the Council ones around your 20's. When you hit 20 head for Striga and do all the missions and the task force in that zone. Will push you to 30 fast and one of the best zones in the game.
    As regards debt - a little debt never hurt anyone :)

70k of debt is my current record. :) You really do forget about it after a while. If your powerlevelling it can get annoying.
    Might be worth trying some basic tactics and fighting the trolls on your own terms :)

Agreed. Some missions require people to sit back and think why they keep dying. Example just because your a tanker means you should herd everything you can handle.
    Atta mission and Frostfire are both very fun...

Atta can be painful sometimes, Frostfire is always fun. Transendance mission is easy if you know what you are doing. If you don't know the basic tactic in the mission it is pretty much impossible.

Oh yea and what I have tried so far.

Spine Scrapper - My loadout has turned it into a tank like abilities but find the character boring (aim at baddie then sit back and watch).

Dark Defender - Found it painful and slow to use. Deleted it.

Kinetic defender (rad) - The most fun character of the lot. Great for teams and at higher levels can solo quite easily. Requires no travel pools too.

Bubble defender (Psi) - Still low level, useless solo and not much use in a team except to bubble people. Still gets insane number of invites though despite all I give to the team is a minute out of every 5.

Fire Tanker - Pretty strong but again a bit boring.

Illision controller. Got it to level 26 Have most of the pool but the character is boring even with the pets.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

6-slotted Hover is just as fast as fly, it is hot!

Yeah, but I put all resources into my attack abilities in hopes of working off some of that debt. I swear sometimes it's like having a mortgage!

And does anyone know if you can be part of more than one supergroup, or do I have to leave one for another? I was just thinking it might be good to have a group for us Irish, an Extraordiary League Of Irishmen, if you will, to fall back on if needed.

A single toon can only ever be in one SG *at a time*. A different toon on your account can be in another SG though.

A few bits and pieces:
    o you can only be in one SG at a time. At a future point, SG's can form a 'Coalition' by pooling efforts - this function not yet implemented.

o 6-slotted Hover is just as fast as fly...at level 14. But it does not get faster as you go up in levels. You WILL notice the difference. Many take Hover as a means to get to hard-to-reach places.

o CoT is easy if you have the right tools for the job. Grant invisibility and Recall Friend. With those two, you can do the whole trial facing a grand total of 3 Igneous minions. However without taking that sneaky approach it is almost impossible - you will use most of your time GETTING to the caverns, and then be face to face with unlimited purple-conning spawns.

o Fire Tanks yawwwwwwwwn they must be the most tedious to play ever. I get bored just watching them. Run, herd, burn patch, run, herd, burn patch, run, herd, burn patch. Powerful, good at clearing mobs quickly, lovely to have in the Eden trial - but my god it must get old. My pri/sec combo may be gimped but at least its interesting!

o Finally, I'm arranging a few teams for the 3rd of the Shards taskforces this weekend (levels 40+) if anyone on Defiant wants to come along. Drop me a tell or post on the UK forums if you want in.

• Advertisement

Got to play a few arena games tonight. They have it well polished now and were just stress testing the SG 64 vs 64 levels. From what I have seen so far scrappers are the worst to fight with unless its a regen.

Advertisement