Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

question about wireless network for broadband

• 18-04-2005 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭

Hi,

I just ordered eircom plus broadband and the netopia wi-fi router and stuff got sent out last week.

In my house, we have 3 PC's. I have a standard desktop and my 2 housemates have laptops with wireless connectivity.

What I was wondering was this: can I connect my desktop PC to broadband and still let the 2 laptops use it as well? The desktop doesn't have any wirless connectivity though.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

Yes you can.

You can have as many as 4 computers wired to the modem/router and an almost unlimited number of computers using the wireless connection.

Infact you need to have a computer wired to the router in order to configure it after which you can disconnect it if needed.

Only thing is that i believe the wireless routers only come with ethernet connections and not USB (I may be wrong but that is the way mine came) so you will need a network card.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭jeff lebowski

cheers, thats the info I was looking for.

I already have an ethernet card in my PC so I should be fine.

Do you know if it has much of an effect on speed (or pings in playing games) if a few people are connected at once?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

Multiple people connected has no effect, unless of course they are actually using some of the bandwidth.

In general, web-browsing shouldnt effect your game performance, since we-browsing is composed of short spikes in download, and with ADSL, there is plenty of download.

for gaming you would want at least 25kbytes/sec down and 8kbytes/sec up available to your computer for consistent, un-interupted gaming, in my experience

Advertisement