Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

credit card authorisation problem

Options
  • 18-04-2005 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭

Tried to order some stuff from Maplin in the UK this morning & they said they couldn't verify my CC. Never been a problem before, so i queried it and got this back:
    Unfortunatley this has been an ongoing with the Irish Banks. When you place your first order with Maplin we have to do a name and address verifiction with your issuing bank and we need them to confirm that the name and address we have been given is the same as what they hold on their system. The bank will not confirm that we have the correct details as they say it is against their Data Protection Act. Which then leads to us not been able to authorise your card.

Sorry for any inconvenience this may cause.

Anyone ever run into this before?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Oh yes! oh yes!

It seems they wont even ring the bank to get the info. My bank told me there is no problem telling them the details its just maplin that won't play ball.

They should put on their website that they judt don't accept Irish Credit cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Well, I would have thought their acquiring bank would have checked it with your bank, and normally they give the details to your bank (say AIB) and AIB confirm/deny it..it all seems a bit odd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭0utshined

Well from what you've posted it sounds like Maplin themselves are ringing through to the bank to get confirmation.

If they ring direct then no dice, if they ring their authorisation centre and get them to confirm the details there shouldn't be a problem. Your bank will say yes or no but won't ellaborate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,774 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

i have this at times, its down to the post code, ring your bank for your address as per their system

Name
    Address 1
    Address 2
    Address 3
    Address 4
    Post Code

and then fill in the form, works for me now 80% of the time with UK sites

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭pete

Nuttzz wrote:
    i have this at times, its down to the post code, ring your bank for your address as per their system

Name
    Address 1
    Address 2
    Address 3
    Address 4
    Post Code

and then fill in the form, works for me now 80% of the time with UK sites
    Ah but i've never had any problems with any other retailers. And i do a lot of online ordering.

edit: As it happens, I told them to cancel the order. they wanted me to post a cheque or postal order, which to be perfectly honest is bloody ridiculous in this day and age. In fairness they were terribly nice about it.

Now my only problem is where the hell am I going to find a finger massager?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,774 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

pete wrote:
    Ah but i've never had any problems with any other retailers. And i do a lot of online ordering.

so do I, I find if their bank is HSBC it causes issues

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭Pataman

try www.cpc.co.uk they post to ireland.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

pete wrote:

Too True Pete, only Dell caused me a prob but it was Barclays , a UK bank too. Do the Brits not have IBAN anyone ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭pete

quick update on this...

thanks to dabs.com screwing up an order I placed with them on Wednesday I got a call from BOI credit card services. Apparently Dabs put through a charge of 1c which was flagged by BOI as possibly someone 'probing' the card to see if they could charge to it or something, so a block was put on my account. Dabs also sent my Mastercard details to VISA for 'secure 3d authorisation' and let it sit there for over 24 hours while ignoring my messages sent via their customer "help" facilities pointing out that I didn't order with a VISA card, meaning I had to cancel & place the order again a day later, meaning i didn't get my shiny new 32" LCD TV in time for the weekend.... but that's another whine.

Anyway, the nice man from CC services went through a couple of other transactions on the card, just to be careful, like. And guess what he found - two charges from Maplin last monday, both approved by BOI and both subsequently cancelled by Maplin.

It appears that Maplin are trying to use the CC authorisation process not as an anti-fraud measure (the charge was approved twice, after all), but as some kind of delivery address checking process. Nice BOI CC man assured me that there was no way in hell they're giving out customer addresses to anyone.

the end

Advertisement