Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amocom [Cork / Wireless ] : Anyone on it

• 18-04-2005 1:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭

Was just browsing through a list of ISPs, came across a cork wireless provider
    http://www.amocom.com/

Here is the coverage map
    http://www.amocom.com/coverage_map.html

Starter : €42.35 per month ( paid 6 months in advance lol ) 512/256
    Home : €72.60 per month ( paid 3 months in advance) 512/512

setup €180.29

prices inclusive of VAT

no cap but, a fair usage policy, snippet following
    Fair Usage Policy
    Amocom Net monitors Customer usage to ensure equal and fair usage for all of Amocom
    Net’s Customer base. In order to ensure Customer quality per grade of service Customers
    whose usage is particularly heavy for their selected grade, may experience throughput
    limitations. In order to facilitate heavy usage Customers, Amocom Net offers a range of
    grades of service and reserves the right to adjust grade of service to reflect changes in pattern
    of usage. In the event of such an adjustment, Amocom Net shall notify the Customer of the
    change electronically. Should the Customer wish to make representations in relation to the
    change, he should do so as soon as reasonably practicable.

IP Address : Fixed ( or so it appears )

Wireless Band snippet from T&C
    ----
    The Amocom Net Service is provided utilizing licence exempt spectrum on a noninterference/
    non-protected basis. This means while the Amocom Net system is not permitted
    to cause interference to other systems, it may not claim protection from interference from
    other systems operating in these bands. This may have implications for the quality of Service
    offered to Customers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭medO

http://www.amocom.com/coverage_map.html

If this sort of city-wide coverage was available for mobile devices (a la WiFi / WiMAX), wouldn't it be great! A single account / sp for home BB which might also work with a PDA (with VoIP software) while out and about.

medO

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Tazzle

Unless there's been a dramatic change, Amocom have really terribly routing. So if you get it, don't expect to be playing games and enjoying them on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Akula

well the issue is this. What frequency are they operating on? If its 2.4ghz your service could suffer from interference from things as simple as your microwave etc....

I'd find out a bit more about it before jumping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Akula

also their website seems to be down.... doesn't say a lot for their reliability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

2 hotspots currently, kingsley hotel, and lancaster lodge (lancaster quay, western road)

Website is fine, now at least.
    Havent heard anything about their routing :-) but certainly an interesting one if it is indeed bad lol.
    Im not considering it myself, since we need a phoneline anyway for our phone, plus smart are arriving May/June.

Frequency
    5.7GHz using Motorola Canopy Equipment (not 802.11 based )
    http://www.amocom.com/pdfs/IrishComputer_May04.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

Akula wrote:
    also their website seems to be down.... doesn't say a lot for their reliability.
    Sites working grand for me.

What other options are there in cork for wireless BBand, IBB doesnt seem to cover a large area outside of the city center

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

JNive wrote:
    Thanks, but I was looking for testimonials,
    Digiweb look expensive, IBB limited coverage, Amocom are unknown to me, but if they're using 5.7GHz equipment, it's a possibility.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭radiospan

I know someone who has this, and he's had no real problems.

512 up, 512 down with no caps. Very good pings (~30ms to boards I think, which is better than what I get on Clicksilver).

The dish/aerial thing on his roof is pointed at the Mahon mast.

Advertisement