Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mpg - Is this right?

Options
  • 18-04-2005 3:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if I'm calculating my mpg correctly? I put E50 diesel into my car and managed to do 550 miles before the needle was back to the same spot (I know this is not exact). I paid E1 per litre and got 50 litres which converts to 10.998 gallons (4.54609 litres per gallon). Therefore I got 550 miles out of 11 gallons which equals 50mpg.... or are my calculations wrong? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

You should just fill your car till the pump clicks....reset your trip odometer.....then the next time you get petrol....fill her up again, take note of the mileage....divide this figure by the amount of litres you put in & multiply by 4.5.....easy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Excellent thanks Fletch. I'm getting a healthy 50mpg around town on my Audi Tdi.

daveg wrote:
    Excellent thanks Fletch. I'm getting a healthy 50mpg around town on my Audi Tdi.
    No probs.....thats excellent fuel consumption....is it the 1.9tdi 130bhp?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

That would be right,I've an A4 TDI using the method described by Fletch above I'm getting 52 mpg in mixed driving.(Although I multiply X 4.546 !)

Seven Worlds will Collide

That would be right,I've an A4 TDI using the method described by Fletch above I'm getting 52 mpg in mixed driving.(Although I multiply X 4.546 !)
    Aren't u brilliant :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

Dave,

500 miles in city is very good. I get 450 miles from a tank driving in the city but i'd get 550+ out on the open road.

My next car (if I can afford it) will be a modern diesel....excellent performance & those mpg figures really are excellent!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭causal

fletch wrote:
    My next car (if I can afford it) will be a modern diesel....excellent performance & those mpg figures really are excellent!
    You mean if you can afford the price of the diesel :p;):D

causal

Fletch it's a 90bph Tdi and she's for sale if interested.....

daveg wrote:
    Fletch it's a 90bph Tdi and she's for sale if interested.....
    I'm only 21 with 0yrs NCB & gonna be a poor student again in September.....don't think the finances will quite stretch but thanks for the offer :)

• Advertisement

No problem.

Advertisement