Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gamestop And Electronics Boutique Announce Merger

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I hope they keep the name Electronics Boutique...

I've always liked that name.. it sounds like the the kind of place one would expect an elderly gentleman to purchase a lightbulb.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

I just saw this on Yahoo.

So.. since EB own Game... is there anywhere to buy games in Dublin that isn't owned by Gamestop, besides Smyths and Xtravision?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

ObeyGiant wrote:
    I just saw this on Yahoo.

So.. since EB own Game... is there anywhere to buy games in Dublin that isn't owned by Gamestop, besides Smyths and Xtravision?
    No

Use www.amazon.co.uk instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

ObeyGiant wrote:

AFAIK Game were only an EB franchise. They were paying to use that name. I don't think EB owns game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭qwertz

Actually, yes. Dun Laoghaire Computers in the Dun Laoghaire shopping centre. I think they are called Software City since a couple of months. Prices are usually lower than Game.
    No

Use www.amazon.co.uk instead.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

EB does not own game.
    I hope they keep the name Electronics Boutique...

They will be keeping the GameStop name.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Must say I know two of the guys that started Gamesworld here in Ireland that went on to become Gamestop Europe and they grafted hard to get it where it is today, shopping with them since they were a counter in the back of chapters on Abbey St. 10 years ago, worked for them for a couple of years part time for the crack too, a nicer pair of lads you couldn't meet.
    I think is great to see them suceed and with some american help create a chain of gamestores that don't only serve the shopping malls and main dublin high streets but also nearly every large town in Ireland.
    I don't work for them anymore, interfered with my day job, a nurse!
    I do remain close to a number of people I worked with back then and don't have a ba word to say about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

gamespot are only now going to the uk yet they've been in ireland for a good while shows that we are a better market
    lol it was only in america and ireland (big difference in countries)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

a good few of those gamestops have sprung up recently

now if anyone could clarify this in case ive missed it, a few years back i recall Game taking over at least one EB outlet ie. who owns who?

Game bought EB Europe.

• Advertisement

ah thanks for clearing that up

• Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

Ciaran500 wrote:
    Game bought EB Europe.
    EB America bought Future Zone, turned it into EB UK, EB UK bought GAME, changed all the store names to GAME, & separated from EB America, in fact...

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

im soo confused i wish a big multination game company like ea would take over all the shops, as it would make my life so much easier :rolleyes:

i wish a big multination game company like ea would take over all the shops, as it would make my life so much easier

if that happened, god forbid, there would be a coup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭dearg_doom

1huge1 wrote:
    gamespot are only now going to the uk yet they've been in ireland for a good while shows that we are a better market
    lol it was only in america and ireland (big difference in countries)
    NOPE, it doesn't really show that we're a *better* market, it just shows that we are mugs with more cash than sense who are clearly willing to pay over the odds for stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭superfly

Absolam wrote:
    EB America bought Future Zone, turned it into EB UK, EB UK bought GAME, changed all the store names to GAME, & separated from EB America, in fact...

that would explain why Game on Dawson St has been at one time or another
    Electronics Boutique
    Future Zone
    Virgin Games
    Game

in no particular order ;)

was it not Virgin-Future zone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭superfly

madrab wrote:
    was it not Virgin-Future zone?
    ah! you're right!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

CiDeRmAn wrote:
    Must say I know two of the guys that started Gamesworld here in Ireland that went on to become Gamestop Europe and they grafted hard to get it where it is today, shopping with them since they were a counter in the back of chapters on Abbey St. 10 years ago, worked for them for a couple of years part time for the crack too, a nicer pair of lads you couldn't meet.
    I think is great to see them suceed and with some american help create a chain of gamestores that don't only serve the shopping malls and main dublin high streets but also nearly every large town in Ireland.
    I don't work for them anymore, interfered with my day job, a nurse!
    I do remain close to a number of people I worked with back then and don't have a ba word to say about them.

The guys who run gamesworld are complete pricks. They scammed my little brother and his friend when trading in an N64 and about 30 games ( this was around the time that the N64 was actually popular ) 4 memory cards and 4 controllers. They gave my brother around 50 pound for it, the really bad thing was that they basically intimidated him into it, he wasnt sure and thought the price was a bit low and asked for the N64 back and they basically said "you have already started the transaction, you cant pull out now" but in different words...

When I was younger and in that shop the guys always made me feel uncomfortable.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

dearg_doom wrote:
    NOPE, it doesn't really show that we're a *better* market, it just shows that we are mugs with more cash than sense who are clearly willing to pay over the odds for stuff.

So, then, to retailers "we" are a *better* market... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Tusky wrote:
    The guys who run gamesworld are complete pricks. They scammed my little brother and his friend when trading in an N64 and about 30 games ( this was around the time that the N64 was actually popular ) 4 memory cards and 4 controllers. They gave my brother around 50 pound for it, the really bad thing was that they basically intimidated him into it, he wasnt sure and thought the price was a bit low and asked for the N64 back and they basically said "you have already started the transaction, you cant pull out now" but in different words...

I tend to agree with this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭dearg_doom

monument wrote:
    So, then, to retailers "we" are a *better* market... :)
    YES, nice way to paraphrase the way I paraphrased what he said.

Basically , if we are the better market for retailers, they are raping us and our wallets. Which, no matter how internet nerds paraphrase it, is a bad thing!

BTW why'd ye change your sig? Did you see the erroneous comma:p

I tend to agree with this.

yep in the same baot as you guys, i like the shop now but when i was younger i did feel a bit of "you are only a child stop asking about our stuff and give us your money" and their trade in prices were always muck

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Tusky wrote:

Don't agree with this at all, started as a customer there in my 20's and have maintained a good relationship with them ever since.
    Which store was it where he got treated like this and how long ago?
    Best thing there was to complain to the manager, sounds right out of order.

But if the machine was still popular there was no way the trade in value would have combined to be 50 notes and I worked there at that time.
    The games cash value would have been at least a couple of quid each, unless they were in rag order with no boxes. The machine too, would have fetched about half of its resale value in cah/credit.

As for the staff making you feel uncomfortable, please what a load of rot, I saw more cocky little kids trying to scam the shop on a daily basis with nicked stock from other stores. Don't ever remember a person being made feel "uncomfortable"

Advertisement