Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New driving test regime - real answers to potential questions

Options
  • 18-04-2005 5:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭

Although I'm still waiting an appointment I wonder if anyone here has been through the new driving test where they ask you about the engine, etc. I know there have been posts here before about it but some of the potential questions bother me. Well, not the questions but the appropriate answers. Okay, I've no prob pointing out various parts of the engine and how to do things - oil, water, coolant, checking oil, steering fluid, altnernator, etc. - but if you get a question like "How do you check your tyre pressure?"

Okay, now we all know how, but I can't help feeling that if I answer: "at a petrol station" or give a slightly more detailed answer like "well, my tyre pressure is usually 30-bar" that I might sound like smart arse or something. :( What is the precise way to answer such a question or is there a place online with the right questions and answers that can be asked. I

've been through two tests so far and while the first one I deservedly failed, the second one came so close I was convinced I had it. He said something like: "There was nothing off the board but you just didn't get it." This time round I want to get it right and sometimes you get good testers and sometimes bad testers I wouldn't want to muck it up by being considered smarmy or smart arsed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The correct answer is, as you say to check the tyre pressure at a garage, and ensure they are at an appropriate pressure "as is consistent with the manufacturer's guidelines in the vehicle's handbook".

If you want to look vaguely responsible though, I'd check your handbook and say, for example - "and make sure they are at 32psi as this is the recommended pressure in my vehicle's handbook."

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

Okay, now we all know how, but I can't help feeling that if I answer: "at a petrol station" or give a slightly more detailed answer like "well, my tyre pressure is usually 30-bar" that I might sound like smart arse or something.
    You would sound like anything but a smart arse.....I don't know any road car who's tyre pressure is 435psi! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

fletch wrote:
    You would sound like anything but a smart arse.....I don't know any road car who's tyre pressure is 435psi! :eek:
    wrx-monster-truck.jpg

Maybe :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Citizen Jake

he he :D Nice one! How did you know that's my car? Thanks for the answers. Jake

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭causal

seamus wrote:
    The correct answer is, as you say to check the tyre pressure at a garage, and ensure they are at an appropriate pressure "as is consistent with the manufacturer's guidelines in the vehicle's handbook".
    I'm not having a go at you guys but is that the official correct answer - at the garage? Is the question How or Where do you check tyre pressures? The pressure gauges in garages are notoriously inaccurate. And it doesn't show the person knows HOW to check their tyre pressures (nevermind do it). The test is such a shambles.
    If you want to look vaguely responsible though, I'd check your handbook and say, for example - "and make sure they are at 32psi as this is the recommended pressure in my vehicle's handbook."
    And also know the difference between the pressures for unladen and fully laden (e.g. 4 passengers with boot full). And throw an eye on the tyres themselves - some tyre manufacturers may have different pressures recommended for their tyres than the car manufacturer does.

Under pressure...
    causal

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 irishbikesales

the most important factor to bear in mind is that the tyres should be measured when cold, not after driving to a garage and warming them up on the way, since when the tyres warm up, the air inside is hotter and expands, so the pressure reads higher than true. so either you measure at home, or when you get to the garage, youve got to wait until the tyres are totally cool before measuring (and then take the unlikely chance that the garage gauge is accurate). a good technique is have a pressure gauge at home that you know is accurate, check pressure, decide how many lbs need to be added, and ignoring the garage's gauge reading, just add as much as you decided was needed at home. thats a "reasonably" accurate method!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

You could just buy a foot pump and a good accurate tyre pressure gauge and do it all in the comfort of your own driveway.

The chances these days of finding a garage a) with a working air line, b) with a working gauge that you can actually read, c) where there aren't 10 cars parked in the way who've just popped in for a paper/cigarettes/breakfast roll etc. etc is minimal, so save yourself the hassle, I say :)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Easy test - check your tyre pressures at one petrol station. Then go to another nearby. The readings are rarely the same!
    seamus wrote:
    fletch wrote:
    wrx-monster-truck.jpg

Maybe :p
    <nerd>
    actually the pressures within these tyres would be relatively similar to normal tyres - they are just bigger. Pressure isn't relative to tyre size
    </nerd>

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

Anyone used the tyre pumps in the Tesco garages? They are excellent, first you select the pressure you want your tyres to be (accurate to 1 psi), then place the connector on to the valve & it automatically pumps to the preset pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

kbannon wrote:
    <nerd>
    actually the pressures within these tyres would be relatively similar to normal tyres - they are just bigger. Pressure isn't relative to tyre size
    </nerd>

<even nerdier>
    I think you will find they will be a good bit lower, probably only 15 to 20 PSI.
    </even nerdier>

MrP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

fletch wrote:
    Anyone used the tyre pumps in the Tesco garages? They are excellent, first you select the pressure you want your tyres to be (accurate to 1 psi), then place the connector on to the valve & it automatically pumps to the preset pressure.
    Just because they have a scale that reads to a precision of 1psi doesn't by any means mean that thay're accurate to 1psi :)

Precision and accuracy are two different things, although increased precision, especially if coupled with a flashy digital display and a few spurious decimal places, often creates a false impression of increased accuracy. Witness the silly discussion a while back as to whether digital speedos were more accurate than analogue ones :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭roxy

Lads,

i have to say, you're really freakin me out! :o

I just got notice of my test today - 11 days notice - pretty pissed off, but there's nowt I can do.

Like the OP, I'd like to know the answer to the question but you're givin me the heebie jeebies! I know this is a motors forum so I'm sure you all know your cars but still, is there one straight answer?

I'm not tryin to sound cheeky. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭causal

:):D;):o:p :eek: :cool: :):D;):o:p :eek: :cool: :)

Investigation To Determine the Internal Pressure of an Automobile Pneumatic Tyre

APPARATUS:
    Tyre Pressure Gauge (range 15-55 PSI)

METHOD & PROCEDURE
    1) Ensure the car is parked securely with the handbrake on.
    2) Remove the tyre valve cover.
    3) Attach the tyre pressure gauge to the tyre valve
    4) Note the reading on the tyre pressure gauge
    5) Repeat steps 2-4 for each tyre (don't forget the spare tyre)

If you want to change the pressures:
    1) Refer to car manual (or tyre wall) for recommended pressures - paying attention to different pressures for front tyres and back tyres; and also to different pressures for a laden and unladen vehicle.
    2) Attach your pump to the tyre valve and pump an appropriate amount. Remove the pump from the tyre valve and check the pressure. Adjust as appropriate.
    3) Repeat for each tyre (don't forget the spare tyre).

Wahaay!

hth,
    causal

Advertisement